Gator Recruiting Hurt By Paying Athletes Less Than Our Rivals?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'd prefer to be an outstanding academic institution than pay kids more for football. I want the team to do great, but I have a degree from UF and when people see that on my resume... the reputation of the school currently can help or hurt.

I'd prefer it to help.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I'd prefer to be an outstanding academic institution than pay kids more for football. I want the team to do great, but I have a degree from UF and when people see that on my resume... the reputation of the school currently can help or hurt.

I'd prefer it to help.

Agreed, as much as I value Gator Football, I value my degree more.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I'd prefer it to help.

I live and work in the DC area. I can assure you a degree from UF means nothing. I have one and people ask me, "Is that the Seminoles?" Seriously. There are so many Ivy League educated people in this area, they do not care what school you went to.

Also, these kids that come to a UF or FSU or Alabama or Texas or Penn State or Ohio State or Auburn or Clemson or LSU or Miami, etc....do not care about their education. They want to get to "the league". Kids that go to Vandy or UVA or UNC or Navy or Stanford or Cal or Ga Tech, etc....they have a different mind set than the kids we're recruiting. There may be some minor overlap, but for the most part playing the "My UF degree is better than your degree" card is irrelevant here (and in most of the real world).

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I live and work in the DC area. I can assure you a degree from UF means nothing. I have one and people ask me, "Is that the Seminoles?" Seriously. There are so many Ivy League educated people in this area, they do not care what school you went to.

Also, these kids that come to a UF or FSU or Alabama or Texas or Penn State or Ohio State or Auburn or Clemson or LSU or Miami, etc....do not care about their education. They want to get to "the league". Kids that go to Vandy or UVA or UNC or Navy or Stanford or Cal or Ga Tech, etc....they have a different mind set than the kids we're recruiting. There may be some minor overlap, but for the most part playing the "My UF degree is better than your degree" card is irrelevant here (and in most of the real world).

Yes of course in DC, but in some other areas it actually means something.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes of course in DC, but in some other areas it actually means something.

Maybe if a UF grad is doing the hiring. Other than that, most managers go w/ the most qualified person. I've said this a thousand times, 2+2 = 4 at UF, FSU, Harvard, Dade Community College, or at your local high school. This fascination that "my UF degree means so much" is a farce. Like it or not, I've worked all over the country (as a member of the military/DHS) and no one gives a sh*t that I graduated from UF. The only thing that comes up in any conversation about UF is football or sports....not academics. So, unless the hiring manager is a UF grad it hardly makes a difference.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe if a UF grad is doing the hiring. Other than that, most managers go w/ the most qualified person. I've said this a thousand times, 2+2 = 4 at UF, FSU, Harvard, Dade Community College, or at your local high school. This fascination that "my UF degree means so much" is a farce. Like it or not, I've worked all over the country (as a member of the military/DHS) and no one gives a sh*t that I graduated from UF. The only thing that comes up in any conversation about UF is football or sports....not academics. So, unless the hiring manager is a UF grad it hardly makes a difference.

I know for a fact the UF degree does mean stuff... especially in Florida, but even outside the state in Atlanta and even here in Austin. Most people recognize UF and the difference between Florida and FSU. You happen to be in an area with a bunch of obnoxious Ivy League folks who think their private school education is better than anything public...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I know for a fact the UF degree does mean stuff... especially in Florida, but even outside the state in Atlanta and even here in Austin. Most people recognize UF and the difference between Florida and FSU. You happen to be in an area with a bunch of obnoxious Ivy League folks who think their private school education is better than anything public...

Like I said, I've worked all over the country (due to my job) and I find it comical when these "My UF degree is so much better than yours" arguments come up. But hey, if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy so be it. But I'll live in the real world.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Like I said, I've worked all over the country (due to my job) and I find it comical when these "My UF degree is so much better than yours" arguments come up. But hey, if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy so be it. But I'll live in the real world.

I've done a great deal of hiring and work and I know that UF is considered a top university for hiring engineers and other people out of college. This means more UF grads in the work space doing good things and that helps from a networking and overall visibility perspective. I also know for a fact that recruiters look at the college and take that into account when filtering resumes through the system.

Once it gets to a hiring manager... I do agree that the university doesn't matter as much as experience, but I know for a fact it is looked at and considered.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've done a great deal of hiring and work and I know that UF is considered a top university for hiring engineers and other people out of college. This means more UF grads in the work space doing good things and that helps from a networking and overall visibility perspective. I also know for a fact that recruiters look at the college and take that into account when filtering resumes through the system.

Once it gets to a hiring manager... I do agree that the university doesn't matter as much as experience, but I know for a fact it is looked at and considered.

Well, I know for a fact it doesn't. As I said, I've worked all over the country. The military, DOD, DHS, Joint Forces, fire/EMS, the US Treasury Department (right next door to the White House). But I'm done "arguing" about it. You're right and I'm wrong.....

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

Agree about DC and the bias towards the Ivy League. But I live outside of the "logic free zone". I'm in engineering, and where you went to school, and the schools reputation, counts.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014

I don't know what your degree is in, but in STEM, it matters. I will actively seek out top tier schools public and private. Among public universities in my field, UF, Purdue, Michigan, Georgia Tech, etc. I already know something of their engineering programs, I know that they have met decent requirements to get in, and because of the caliber of their programs, I know that they had to be pretty bright to graduate.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
We are making recruits shell out $40 just to throw a football in front of a bunch of clueless coaches with bad hygiene. These numbers aren't shocking at all.

Apparently, you are quoting the supposed recruiting story posted in another thread. However, UF does not have a single camp that costs $40.

http://floridagators.com/sports/2016/2/12/football_camps.aspx?id=13722

I know, facts aren't nearly as entertaining as stories.

By the way, I love your Theodore Roosevelt quote. I had never heard that one, but will never forget it now. One of my favorite presidents.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
This seems like an area that the NCAA really needs to standardize. The disparity in numbers clearly suggests big-time differences in interpretation of what's included.

Tuition shouldn't be part of the calculation, since scholarship athletes get a ride on that. I thought this was intended for books, laundry, and "incidentals." I know our athletes have to buy real textbooks for real classes, while at some other schools the athletes have to buys books AND crayons, but that's not enough to account for more than $1,000 difference.

Can they get a cash housing allowance in lieu of school-provided accommodations?

A lot of people don't realize this is already legal under NCAA rules.

A lot of schools require freshmen to live on campus. However, if a player is allowed to live off campus and chooses to do so then the school can legally give them a housing stipend. The amount varies by school. This is the reason a lot of players live off campus. Players are not required to provide proof that the money was spent on housing. Any money that is left over can be spent any way they would like. If a player gets a few roommates they can end up with a pretty nice little stack of spending money.

For instance, this is a 2012 document from Cal State Fullerton explaining that if an athlete decides to live off campus they will be paid a $1,123.30 stipend per month.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...-12/misc_non_event/Room-Board-Information.pdf

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Well, I know for a fact it doesn't. As I said, I've worked all over the country. The military, DOD, DHS, Joint Forces, fire/EMS, the US Treasury Department (right next door to the White House). But I'm done "arguing" about it. You're right and I'm wrong.....

I always find it amazing when people think the entire world consists of what they have personally seen.

It's possible that both of you have simply had different experiences. The real issue is in the line of thinking "this is what happened in my life so this must be how it is everywhere."

It's a big world out there.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I always find it amazing when people think the entire world consists of what they have personally seen.

It's possible that both of you have simply had different experiences. The real issue is in the line of thinking "this is what happened in my life so this must be how it is everywhere."

It's a big world out there.

I specifically said "outside" of the state of Florida. But, you're right...I'm wrong. A UF degree is the pinnacle of academic success. I just don't understand why all these HS football players aren't beating our doors down for that opportunity.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Sure in your experience, mine is somewhat different, and yes in some areas Gator Graduates are in charge and somewhat give a boost to their fellow Gators. The real issue is that people with a degree from UF are mostly better that those from some other lesser universities.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, "Recruiting Hurt" by Bad Recruiting.

Here are some Big Ten numbers:
Ohio State ($2,680),
Michigan ($2,204),
Michigan State ($1,866).

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Also, "Recruiting Hurt" by Bad Recruiting.

Here are some Big Ten numbers:
Ohio State ($2,680),
Michigan ($2,204),
Michigan State ($1,866).

But but but Mich and OSU are hurting in recruiting too...uhhhh not. Just more proof that these numbers are meaningless in the grand scheme of things. Just another pumper excuse. Nothing more.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree about DC and the bias towards the Ivy League. But I live outside of the "logic free zone". I'm in engineering, and where you went to school, and the schools reputation, counts.

In Engineering that is very much the case with a degree from Florida. The question is what degrees these kids are getting and does it hold water. I know in the Mid 90's Spurrier had a TE that got a degree in Engeering and did quite well for himself. HE never saw the field on game day, but UF took care of his education as long has he went to practice and did what he was told.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator