Gator Rewind: Charleston Southern

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Pretty interesting hearing Mullen mic’d up during the game.

Light years difference between listening to him and Taggart speak.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like the guy, I just hope he doesn't turn out to be our Richt.

Gulfstream

Founding Member
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I said it in the box during the game, and I'll say it again here.

I will forever hate Jim McElwain.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is my take on the whole Mullen gripe. Most people like him just fine, but they realize he is just an above average coach. He is going to get the most out of his guys as individuals, but he’s not going to schematically take his talent beyond what it is on paper. Knowing that, you need a lot of talent. He is not known as a recruiter and neither is his staff as a whole. No one is saying that he is Willie.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's just refreshing to see him interact, coach, and even high five the fans. With the talent, it's up to him what the ceiling is. I'm glad he's here. And he seems to be as well.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Man I've done a complete and total 180 on Mullen since we hired him, really glad he's here.
I rewatched the game with all the filler cut out, just play after play. Gotta say that I'm more impressed now than I was during the game. Franks is an entirely different qb. He consistently and accurately stressed and stretched the defenses and mullen really impressed me with the playcalling. Really good mix up of run/pass/formation changes and some wrinkles that added an aura of unpredictability and surprise. Gawd it was refreshing. Seemed like mullen got the most from the talent we had and played to players strengths. Freddie Swain made some big plays on ST, backs looked good, recievers made plays, ball was spread around.

Go ahead and put me in the really glad camp, at least at this point. I think we might have a real solid hire here. Ive noticed a bit of an uptick in crootin too. If the improvement continues and crootin does too, who knows but this could be the beginning of something special.

:pumper:

CaseyGator

Ox’s Favorite Poster
Sep 13, 2016
Love that even on a touchdown pass, he’s coaching Franks making sure he’s seeing the defense completely.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is my take on the whole Mullen gripe. Most people like him just fine, but they realize he is just an above average coach. He is going to get the most out of his guys as individuals, but he’s not going to schematically take his talent beyond what it is on paper. Knowing that, you need a lot of talent. He is not known as a recruiter and neither is his staff as a whole. No one is saying that he is Willie.
How many great schematic teams are there? I really wonder. My guess is not many. The great coaches seem to get to where they are based more on recruiting talent and instilling discipline than being brilliant game planners. Schematics are for the next level. I could be totally wrong.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How many great schematic teams are there? I really wonder. My guess is not many. The great coaches seem to get to where they are based more on recruiting talent and instilling discipline than being brilliant game planners. Schematics are for the next level. I could be totally wrong.
We GET IT.

You absolutely LOVE an average coach because he is slightly better than the below average coaches we've had.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We GET IT.

You absolutely LOVE an average coach because he is slightly better than the below average coaches we've had.
As always, you're all about what you don't like and nothing about what you do.

Go ahead. Give us a list of great schematic coaches we should have hired. As a matter of fact, just name five really good schematic coaches.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

Go ahead. Give us a list of great schematic coaches we should have hired. As a matter of fact, just name five really good schematic coaches.

How about:

1. SOS
2. Chip Kelly
3. Mullen with a QB
4. Mike Leach
5. Dabo

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How about:

1. SOS
2. Chip Kelly
3. Mullen with a QB
4. Mike Leach
5. Dabo
1. Retired
2. We whiffed
3. We can only hope
4. Lol
5. Runs a spread, recruits well, runs a tight ship. Sabanesque without the psychosis.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Great video. Chills. I can't wait to see how CDM does these next three weeks. I hope we are ready for Tennessee. After that Miss St and LSU will be tough. If we come out of it 4-2 I will not be disappointed. I can see from the video that CDM is going to make some good things happen. If OL play progresses it's not unthinkable we win 4 of 5 after the bye week.
2018 Football Schedule - Florida Gators

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think you misunderstood. It's not their system, it's how they scheme their offense and/or defense. Look at how Muschamp used Fowler for example. Not that Muschamp is the best defensive coordinator, but he did seem to scheme based on what the other team did.

Look at SOS. He took a 5th string QB who knew what coach wanted and used that to pick apart teams. Sure we had a ton of talent, and that's why SOS revolutionized the SEC. But he could scheme, and won big because of it.

Chip Kelley is really a system, and so is Frost. But if done right it's hard to beat, but what happened when Auburn decided to collapse their line? But I'm talking about a coach who can take less talent and beat you because he runs what his guys are good at while also attacking his opponents weaknesses.

Another example, our first game against TA&M. Manziel is torching us with his legs, because we over pursue. Muschamp and Quinn adjust and tell our guys to quit rushing up field and hold their assignments. At the end of the day, we took away Manziel's legs.

And don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't think Mullen can make some adjustments here or there. He's just proven that he can out scheme a Bama or most anyone else who he shouldn't beat. Look at what Clemson did. They ran a stupid amount of plays while doing a lot of east/west movement. They tired out Bama's big boys.

If you're going to go toe to toe, you better be the bigger badder guy, otherwise you need to scheme.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Any of the top 50 offense HCs or OCs. Cross out the ones with losing conference records.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Not that Muschamp is the best defensive coordinator, but he did seem to scheme based on what the other team did.
What Chimp does isn't particularly complicated. No one in this conference passes so he ignores it. He just leaves one safety and puts the corners in man. Everyone else in the box and run blitz often. Third down, often go zero high and all out blitz.

It really isn't scheming or adjusting beyond knowing not to spend much effort on defending the pass when the other teams aren't going to pass regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator