Gatorchatter monetization discussion thread

Would you consider paying a small amount for an ad-free experience and extra features?

• Yes

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I would probably pay, but that’s easy to say since I’m already a Lifetime Member and cannot be forced to pay for a subscription EVER. :woohoo:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope we can have a mature discussion about this.
Personally, Id say just force the adblocker exceptions.

Sometimes I browse not logged in just figuring that it makes you a little more money to keep the lights on.

The ads are always narrowly tailored what we probably like anyway. it's only annoying when you get that occasional browser hijacker problem

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TBH you have a bunch of cheapskates on here. I don’t think they would mind paying a one time fee – but an annual or monthly fee they would scoff at.

Thus - the conundrum.

To Urg’s point - I would think that you would need some type of pay for content.

While I think the features this board has are second to none it’s access to information that will drive pay membership.

And I think that would take a lot of work. Have you thought about finding a way to partner with a pay membership website? Like 247?

Or maybe find a way to partner with the UAA. Although that would be really delicate. Because you would not want a monetary relationship to create censorship. Or even the illusion of censorship. But the value in that for a member could be gator sports experiences. Such as tickets to games or autographed memorabilia. The benefit to the UAA is an interactive web interface we are thousands of fans can talk about athletics and get access to information. It would really help them keep a pulse on the Fanbase.

I know that’s a lot of yipyap I just typed down but I think if you just try to charge members (even though it would really improve the website experience and support long-term health of the website) I think you’ll have a challenge Getting people to positively engage. As you said – people will complain about spending $60 a year for a subscription even though this is a website they spend virtually every day on. And then they’ll go to a bar and spend $60 on a tab.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
All I can say is try making it a subscription site and see what happens. My guess is you net less money than by keeping it free and adopting Law's advice about harnessing adpower differently.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Guessing that the first 150 most active users are the real candidates to sign up. Your sample shows that 38% who've responded are willing to sign up. That gives you 57. Let's say you charge sixty bucks a year. Then you've got a little over three grand. But you lose some add revenue. And I assume your lifetime members will either not have to pay up or will bitch. Now I don't know where you net out but it's not much.

Personally, I don't care. Adds don't bother me that much.

I think you need to pray for a big football season, grow the membership with we're free and we're better, then think about it next year. I'm still amazed there are not more members on board.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m with the content point of view. There’s no information here that isn’t found elsewhere. Let’s face it, the majority of the threads are articles started on other sites and direct you there. Then, come back here to discussion.

The ad free access is a nice to have, not a need to have. Most every other site has ads and you just ignore them. Not everyone has an ad-blocker.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't mind ads on websites, I don't see the problem. As was mentioned I think an ad block remover is cool. I have a handful of sites that I visit where I gladly turn my adblocker off.

If you're considering making a pay portion, then you have to consider moderating members like Sas. His shtick is cute for free but I don't know who would pay to have him insult every poster and constantly trash the website. It's a huge turn off for free. Guarantee more people would be active without that childishness. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Just considering the dynamic of the current product and the change in the perceived value of a paid membership. I'll do my best to support you anyways

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I bit the bullet to become a life time member, Ad's don't bother me anymore and my opinion has never been valued so do as you please, it is your board.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
All I can say is try making it a subscription site and see what happens. My guess is you net less money than by keeping it free and adopting Law's advice about harnessing adpower differently.
I'm not sure you understood. I have rejected the idea of making it a subscription site. The sports portion would always be free, the question is would we lose membership if I took away the extra sections and the chatbox without paying for them?

And GatorJ is right, so much of money is psychological. I've seen people freak out over paying $8 for a movie that will spend literally $150 a month on Starbucks coffee. Or blow through a $100 dinner without thinking twice. Or spend God knows how much on alcohol on a single weekend.

There are many people that think it's ludicrous to spend one single cent on a website, even if they spend a significant portion of their year on here enjoying the community. It's weird. They would cut themselves if it was taken away, yet money-wise they think it's worth nothing.

You guys are also too hung up on "content". It's about all the unique personalities and banter on here that provides the value, not insider content. We have the smartest, funniest Gator fans anywhere, and it isn't close. There's a reason why we hundreds, often thousands, of lurkers a day on here - they don't want to get directly involved, but they enjoy the hell out of the discussions.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Not that anybody else should do as I do, but for me the internet is free or it is not for me. Of course the owners need to make whatever decisions they think best for their business.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure you understood. I have rejected the idea of making it a subscription site. The sports portion would always be free, the question is would we lose membership if I took away the extra sections and the chatbox without paying for them?

And GatorJ is right, so much of money is psychological. I've seen people freak out over paying $8 for a movie that will spend literally $150 a month on Starbucks coffee. Or blow through a $100 dinner without thinking twice. Or spend God knows how much on alcohol on a single weekend.

There are many people that think it's ludicrous to spend one single cent on a website, even if they spend a significant portion of their year on here enjoying the community. It's weird. They would cut themselves if it was taken away, yet money-wise they think it's worth nothing.

You guys are also too hung up on "content". It's about all the unique personalities and banter on here that provides the value, not insider content. We have the smartest, funniest Gator fans anywhere, and it isn't close. There's a reason why we hundreds, often thousands, of lurkers a day on here - they don't want to get directly involved, but they enjoy the hell out of the discussions.
They're making an issue of content because it's the most convenient parallel argument.

I do depend on this site for UF updates to some degree but obviously not exclusively. I'm mainly here for the laughs and camaraderie. This place is a cool little sports bar that never closes.

You know I'll pony up if it comes down to it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You know I'll pony up if it comes down to it.
I know you would and so would damn near everyone else who voted "no" in the poll, but I don't want to feel like I'm forcing people to pay for something they don't think is worth it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The question was for content, not for access. And I might in the future cut that out as free access can be obtained.
How? At the library?

Why do some people fight paying for things that entertain them? I would expect that from millennials (who think everything in life should be free), but most of you people are old farts.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

You’d likely lose a few of the politicos if they had to pay for access. I don’t visit the chatbox too often and I suspect it’s mostly used by a dozen or so...except for game days, so it may not reduce membership by much.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I checked out gatorchatter for a short while, and pretty quickly decided that the one time, $75 lifetime fee would work for me. I personally do not like small amounts being pulled out of my account every month. As far as annual fees, I generally only regularly renew those I need, such as Microsoft Word, etc.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I know you would and so would damn near everyone else who voted "no" in the poll, but I don't want to feel like I'm forcing people to pay for something they don't think is worth it.

You can't "force" anybody to pay.

Cozumel Gator

Living in paradise, streaming all games
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2016
I too became a lifetime member because I saw value in the site. It is very hard to get different views on our Gators south of the border.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator