Recruiting Gators could land top 2 TE's in the state?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/gators-in-position-to-land-the-top-two-tight-ends-in-florida

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The Florida Gators didn’t sign a tight end in their last recruiting class, but they could land the state’s top two players at the position for 2017.

Miami’s Kemore Gamble, the No. 1 tight end in Florida, committed to UF at the spring gameearlier this month.

The Gators hope to follow up Gamble’s pledge with the addition of Tre’ McKitty, their top TE target since the start of the cycle.

On their first stop of the evaluation period, Florida offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeierand defensive line coach Chris Rumph traveled to Bradenton to watch McKitty for the opening day of spring practice at IMG Academy.

“It felt good to see them out there,” McKitty said of Nussmeier and Rumph. “It just shows how high they are on me and that I’m a priority to them. They need me bad and they’re pushing for me hard.”

McKitty, the state’s No. 2 tight end, visited UF last week with his teammates. It was his third trip to Gainesville in the past six months.

“I had a good time,” McKitty said. “Obviously I’ve been there plenty of times, so I just got to connect with the coaches some more. I talked to them about the tight end position and how they’re going to use me.”

Nussmeier and tight ends coach Greg Nord went over film and the offensive playbook with McKitty, who stays in regular contact with Florida’s coaching staff.

“I’m talking to them every day,” he said. “They really just preach about how bad they want me because of the kind of player I am. They think I can be a big part of their offense.”

The Gators play a prominent role in in their system. Jake McGee finished last season with the second most receptions (41) for UF, and C’ytonai Lewis had a game-high five catches for 79 yards and scored in the Orange & Blue Debut. DeAndre Goolsby also caught a touchdown.

“I watched the highlights from the spring game and I saw that they used the tight ends a lot,” McKitty said. “They were really involved in the passing game and that was good to see.”

The 6-foot-4, 238-pound McKitty claims no leaders at this time and plans to make a decision during his senior season after taking some official visits.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We really need a true power TE who also catches well to make this offense click. With Lewis and Knight as flex type TE's were good there for the next 2 years. If this kid is really 6'4" and 238 in HS somebody needs to be sleeping on his doorstep.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We really need a true power TE who also catches well to make this offense click. With Lewis and Knight as flex type TE's were good there for the next 2 years. If this kid is really 6'4" and 238 in HS somebody needs to be sleeping on his doorstep.

Agree. We need more weapons on offense and TE is a key part of what McElwain wants to do. It would be nice if the TE could block also!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think TE is one of the most under rated positions in college right now. If you can have two dangerous TEs on the field at one time... it really provides mismatch problems for the defense. I think McElwain recognizes that and is selling that.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
TE is a staple of Mac's offense. Not really his fault that the Black Peter Dinklage couldn't hit McGee and Lewis got hurt...

Grier would have made McGee one of the best TE's in the SEC...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
TE is a staple of Mac's offense. Not really his fault that the Black Peter Dinklage couldn't hit McGee and Lewis got hurt...

Grier would have made McGee one of the best TE's in the SEC...

I think most of us agree that Grier was a much, much, much better QB than Treon....but what makes you think he'd "would have made McGee one the best TE's in the SEC"? McGee WAS one of the best TE's in the SEC. Go look at Grier's stats. He had one big game and the rest were mediocre at best (especially by today's college football standards). If he had remained at QB, sure McGee would have likely had better stats...but he was already one of the best TE's in the conference. I think Grier would have gotten better, but everyone acts like he was a sure future 1st round draft pick and was going to lead us to a NC.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I think most of us agree that Grier was a much, much, much better QB than Treon....but what makes you think he'd "would have made McGee one the best TE's in the SEC"? McGee WAS one of the best TE's in the SEC. Go look at Grier's stats. He had one big game and the rest were mediocre at best (especially by today's college football standards). If he had remained at QB, sure McGee would have likely had better stats...but he was already one of the best TE's in the conference. I think Grier would have gotten better, but everyone acts like he was a sure future 1st round draft pick and was going to lead us to a NC.

I think you're reading too much into it...it's not about Grier....

Grier was still a work in progress. My post dealt more specifically with how the use of our TE's went down when Treon was QB...More passes = more catches = more yards...

It's hard to argue that Treon's play didn't directly affect McGee's touches/ypc/ypg

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think you're reading too much into it...it's not about Grier....

Grier was still a work in progress. My post dealt more specifically with how the use of our TE's went down when Treon was QB...More passes = more catches = more yards...

It's hard to argue that Treon's play didn't directly affect McGee's touches/ypc/ypg

Agree w/ you on that....I mouthed off because I was assuming you were suggesting Grier was some sort of All-SEC QB....sorry...don't tase me bro!

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Agree w/ you on that....I mouthed off because I was assuming you were suggesting Grier was some sort of All-SEC QB....sorry...don't tase me bro!

Lol...it's all good.

Nah I'm not some Grier-Fan Boy who thought with him we would have beat Alabama...the kid had talent but he had a long ways to go..

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Lol...it's all good.

Nah I'm not some Grier-Fan Boy who thought with him we would have beat Alabama...the kid had talent but he had a long ways to go..

Grier had the "it" factor that eventually would have led to greatness if he wasnt such a dick weed.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Grier had the "it" factor that eventually would have led to greatness if he wasnt such a dick weed.

Driskel had the "it" factor also after the UT game in 2012...we all know it was mirage...

Same for Grier...one game against Sour Piss and a half against UT doesn't exactly tell me he was primed for greatness.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
True we have no proof but it did appear that he would have excelled. It really doesnt matter anyhow since we will never know.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
True we have no proof but it did appear that he would have excelled. It really doesnt matter anyhow since we will never know.

Dan, I agree w/ this post....and not your first. He was surely a better QB than Harris, no one will argue that. But he seemed "serviceable" to me, nothing special that indicated he'd lead us to "greatness". He was no better than any of the QBs that McElwain coached at Alabama, that's for sure. It seems that there's this myth that if had not sh*t the bed w/ the PED thing that we'd have been so much better. I think if he had stayed we would not have gone to overtime vs. FAU, we like beat Vandy by more than 2 points, we still lose to FSU - but score more than 2 points, and Bama & Michigan still kick our asses. Same record, just not as ugly.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought for sure that McKitty was going to commit to us last year. Our offense taking a huge dump last year put his commitment on hold. I still think he commits to the good guys. Gamble is a beast but I really like McKitty.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Dan, I agree w/ this post....and not your first. He was surely a better QB than Harris, no one will argue that. But he seemed "serviceable" to me, nothing special that indicated he'd lead us to "greatness". He was no better than any of the QBs that McElwain coached at Alabama, that's for sure. It seems that there's this myth that if had not sh*t the bed w/ the PED thing that we'd have been so much better. I think if he had stayed we would not have gone to overtime vs. FAU, we like beat Vandy by more than 2 points, we still lose to FSU - but score more than 2 points, and Bama & Michigan still kick our asses. Same record, just not as ugly.

Maybe. We need to remember that these games were his first time playing on this stage. Some games such as Mich, our D quit when our O couldnt do anything. Possibly, if we had Grier he MIGHT have been the spark both sides needed. Like I said, we will never know since his desire to do the horizontal bop was stronger than the desire to be our QB.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It puts incredible strain on a defense when a TE can crush the end of the line ...or slip past the LBers on 3rd and short or goal line situations. McGee was an excellent receiving TE however he couldn't engage a DE or LB to help with our outside run game...

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Post of the year. We don't have the horses like Bama and FSU. Michigan just out-everything'ed us.

Same record with Grier or without.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.