Recruiting Gators could land top 2 TE's in the state?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Top 2 DT's?? Hell, we whiffed last year (signing ZERO) so I'll just take ANY DT!!

1 or 2 DTs - MAX per cycle. It's really a crapshoot. I'd rather pull in elite DEs and convert them if they outgrow the position. Assuming you hit at about a 25% rate with DTs and you bring in about 3-4 DEs with 1-2 with elite size and speed, you'll keep your DT pipeline full.

But to your point, ZERO DTs is pitiful. Though I think the staff really thought Manuel was coming until the last week.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1 or 2 DTs - MAX per cycle. It's really a crapshoot. I'd rather pull in elite DEs and convert them if they outgrow the position.
That's a terrible plan especially for a 3 man Saban type front defense, which we seemed to play a lot more in the Spring Game. A 3 man front essentially requires 3 DTs who can handle 2 gaps. DEs can't do it. Most DEs can't handle one gap. 2 gappers keep the LBs clean.

The reason Saban adopted the defense he did is because so few DEs can play run defense.

When you are weak in the middle, in our case at both DT and inside LBs, you end up doing exactly what we have been doing, moving the safeties up to clean up the runs and cover the gaps. Having your safeties leading the team in tackles and blown coverages is a great way to get clubbed, like we did the last three games.

I suspect we will make a big push for 3 or more DTs plus try to sign a juco or two also to make up for the last two disastrous classes.

I don't know if a switch to more 3 man front (with the Buck/Rush standing up) is the future or if it was just the result of lack of DT depth. We shall see.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
That's a terrible plan especially for a 3 man Saban type front defense, which we seemed to play a lot more in the Spring Game. A 3 man front essentially requires 3 DTs who can handle 2 gaps. DEs can't do it. Most DEs can't handle one gap. 2 gappers keep the LBs clean.

The reason Saban adopted the defense he did is because so few DEs can play run defense.

When you are weak in the middle, in our case at both DT and inside LBs, you end up doing exactly what we have been doing, moving the safeties up to clean up the runs and cover the gaps. Having your safeties leading the team in tackles and blown coverages is a great way to get clubbed, like we did the last three games.

I suspect we will make a big push for 3 or more DTs plus try to sign a juco or two also to make up for the last two disastrous classes.

I don't know if a switch to more 3 man front (with the Buck/Rush standing up) is the future or if it was just the result of lack of DT depth. We shall see.

:blahblah:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Im sorry. Were we supposed to be talking about the other Noles you really love?

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure you made good points in there, just wasn't feelin like reading all of it.

We are still boys tho brah

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I guess my point is that the hit rate on a DT turning out is very low. Whether it's due to scholastic achievement or overgrowing their bodies. We have recruited quite a few of them but they just haven't panned out. There's been more of a move toward converting the DE to a DT as they grow and fill out their bodies. If a DT outgrows his body he can be nothing else.

Again, I'm not saying don't recruit the DT, but DEs must also be recruited for the possibility of becoming a DT. Not all the DEs, but some of them.

Similarly to the way that Bullard and Jefferson were recruited.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1 or 2 DTs - MAX per cycle. It's really a crapshoot. I'd rather pull in elite DEs and convert them if they outgrow the position. Assuming you hit at about a 25% rate with DTs and you bring in about 3-4 DEs with 1-2 with elite size and speed, you'll keep your DT pipeline full.

But to your point, ZERO DTs is pitiful. Though I think the staff really thought Manuel was coming until the last week.
Who's the 2016 JUCO DT that's still in play?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I guess my point is that the hit rate on a DT turning out is very low. Whether it's due to scholastic achievement or overgrowing their bodies. We have recruited quite a few of them but they just haven't panned out
Didn't Jaye Howard come in somewhere like 230-240 and grow into a pretty good DT at around 300# by the time he left? He outperformed a few guys who were recruited as DT during his time here as I recall.
The other problem is that usually it takes 2 years for true DT's(inside guys) to get on a level of physicality where they are a productive part of a rotation or just an outright starter. Even as talented as Brantley is he struggled quite a bit in his freshmen and sophomore season....other guys like Holley and Clark have been pretty much invisible so I see your reasoning for a need to over recruit at the DE position for now. However it would be nice to get a couple of 320-330# maulers to dominate the middle of our defensive line so our talented DT/DE types like Jefferson won't be double teamed during most of the game.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's just a tough position to recruit. you need numbers like OL

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I guess my point is that the hit rate on a DT turning out is very low. Whether it's due to scholastic achievement or overgrowing their bodies. We have recruited quite a few of them but they just haven't panned out. There's been more of a move toward converting the DE to a DT as they grow and fill out their bodies. If a DT outgrows his body he can be nothing else.

Again, I'm not saying don't recruit the DT, but DEs must also be recruited for the possibility of becoming a DT. Not all the DEs, but some of them.

Similarly to the way that Bullard and Jefferson were recruited.

We're recruiting several JUCO D-lineman, but these same DL's are being recruited by Alabama and everyone else...so we'll see. Some of the DE to DT's work out just fine...but I'd like to see us sign a legitimate DT or 2 each class. We can't go 0-fer and expect it not to hurt down the road. Polite will be a DT before it's all said and done and so will Ancrum, so hopefully that fills the gap. We need a few good MLB's too.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't Jaye Howard come in somewhere like 230-240 and grow into a pretty good DT at around 300# by the time he left? He outperformed a few guys who were recruited as DT during his time here as I recall.
The other problem is that usually it takes 2 years for true DT's(inside guys) to get on a level of physicality where they are a productive part of a rotation or just an outright starter. Even as talented as Brantley is he struggled quite a bit in his freshmen and sophomore season....other guys like Holley and Clark have been pretty much invisible so I see your reasoning for a need to over recruit at the DE position for now. However it would be nice to get a couple of 320-330# maulers to dominate the middle of our defensive line so our talented DT/DE types like Jefferson won't be double teamed during most of the game.

One thing Bama does well is recruit DT JUCOs. Minimizes the risk of bringing in a kid that can't maintain weight so never sees the field. See Khairi Clark.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
One thing Bama does well is recruit DT JUCOs. Minimizes the risk of bringing in a kid that can't maintain weight so never sees the field. See Khairi Clark.

Well, Jarron Reed signed w/ us....then had to go back to JUCO....and signed w/ Bama the next year. That one hurt. He was a BMF! We did well w/ Jacobs a few years ago. But I agree w/ you, Bama has done great filling their (few) recruiting voids by adding JUCO's...and it seems most of them are along the D-line.

Regardless what happens, we need to shore up our DT position this off-season. We lose a lot the next year/2 years and if these smaller guys (DE's expected to be DT's) don't grow or mature as expected we'll be very, very thin there. Hopefully we land a top JUCO or a transfer.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We need a few good MLB's too.
You ain't kidding. I really miss having a strong, 245-250#er in the middle like Bostic and Spikes....It escapes me how such a "power football" advocate like Muschamp missed so badly at "power positions" like NT/DT, TE, MLB, and offensive line. While our defense has been pretty good over the last 4 or 5 years I think much of that had to do with a few super talented players who could make up for some of the shortcomings around them....at least until we played top level teams, then we got exposed at the core of what he preached which was power football 101...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator