Gators Get Outback Bowl RIngs with SEC EAST Champs on side

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't approve. The university of Florida should only be getting rings for winning an SEC championship or a national championship. This is the kind of sh!t that brings on the accepting of mediocrity.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't approve. The university of Florida should only be getting rings for winning an SEC championship or a national championship. This is the kind of sh!t that brings on the accepting of mediocrity.

Just an FYI...these are actually their Outback Bowl rings. They voted to have one side say SEC EAST champs.

I don't want you to be mislead in any way.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I knew this attorney who lost an important case so he bought himself a second place ring.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
My guess is the players voted against getting SEC East on the rings but Mac ordered them anyway. He's hung his entire existence on claiming SEC East titles.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Mac said the team is always excited to get some "bling" like these SEC East rings.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Mac said the team is always excited to get some "bling" like these SEC East rings.

McElwain on the team rings: "Well deserved. Back to back champs in the SEC East, and that's something that is no small feat. For me, the way they approached the bowl game, it was more of a bowl game type deal that you know what, they approached it with the right mindset to go win a game. It's one of those things that shows a sense of accomplishment, and they're always excited to get some bling."

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
I honestly don't understand the histrionics that surround this issue. I don't see that a ring that acknowledges that they did indeed win the SEC East promotes mediocrity. They didn't manufacture a phony title like our Knoxville friends have. And it's not like they're giving out awards for finishing third or fourth.

Yes, everyone wants the Gators to win the SEC title and not just a division crown but it is something the league recognizes and it would seem silly to pretend that they didn't win it or that it has no value at all. They have been UF teams in the past (even during the glory years) that didn't win the East and make it to Atlanta.

I doubt the players look on this ring with loathing and disdain. Perhaps it will be a motivator for improved performance this year. I don't see where it deserves the negative juice being directed at it.

OllieGator

Founding Member
Member....huh, huh, huh
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
73546681.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, everyone wants the Gators to win the SEC title and not just a division crown but it is something the league recognizes
No, the league does not recognize it. It is only called the east or west representative in the SEC Championship game. The league does not pass out trophies for participating in the SECG.

It is just as made up as "Florida Championships", "Bristol Championships" and "Life Championships".

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
A bloomin onion shirt should have been sufficient enough. But if they wanted them, why not?

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
No, the league does not recognize it. It is only called the east or west representative in the SEC Championship game. The league does not pass out trophies for participating in the SECG.

It is just as made up as "Florida Championships", "Bristol Championships" and "Life Championships".

I don't agree. You can choose to call them "representatives" instead of champions but they had to finish first on that side of the draw to earn the opportunity to play for the larger championship. I don't see it as "made up" and I do see it as significantly different than the Bristol championship or Champions of Life. It's not nearly as satisfying as an SEC title but it's not nothing.

Of course, I have frequently ridiculed Braves' fans for their years and years of Division titles with only one World Series Championship so maybe I should adopt your thinking!!!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't agree. You can choose to call them "representatives" instead of champions but they had to finish first on that side of the draw to earn the opportunity to play for the larger championship. I don't see it as "made up" and I do see it as significantly different than the Bristol championship or Champions of Life. It's not nearly as satisfying as an SEC title but it's not nothing.

Of course, I have frequently ridiculed Braves' fans for their years and years of Division titles with only one World Series Championship so maybe I should adopt your thinking!!!

Do you think SOS would wear an SEC East Championship ring or let his players? Urban? Saban?

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Do you think SOS would wear an SEC East Championship ring or let his players? Urban? Saban?

I don't know. Maybe they would, depending on the circumstances. Coaches use all sorts of gimmicks to motivate or build a program.

We seem to forget that UF football has not exactly been firing on all cylinders over the past decade. We can pretend that winning the East is beneath our dignity but it is better than having a losing record or not getting to Atlanta....both of which have happened recently.

If this helps build the program, either to point out what is still needed or as an incremental reward, then go for it. I continue to maintain that some folks are making too big a deal of it. It's just a ring (or t-shirt) or whatever.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know. Maybe they would, depending on the circumstances. Coaches use all sorts of gimmicks to motivate or build a program.

We seem to forget that UF football has not exactly been firing on all cylinders over the past decade. We can pretend that winning the East is beneath our dignity but it is better than having a losing record or not getting to Atlanta....both of which have happened recently.

If this helps build the program, either to point out what is still needed or as an incremental reward, then go for it. I continue to maintain that some folks are making too big a deal of it. It's just a ring (or t-shirt) or whatever.

Ok. That's a fair point. Guess you gotta start somewhere.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Florida Spurrier not a chance in hell, USCe Spurrier would and did because he knew that was the best they can do in chicken land.

I guess that's where we are now.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't agree. You can choose to call them "representatives" instead of champions
The league hands out championship trophies to champions. It doesn't hand out shyt to people who watch the champions win the championship.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I wouldn't guess with Spurrier, since he considers Florida's first SEC championship before they divided into divisions. Meyer maybe before an SEC Championship just to show the recruits something positive. Saban don't know, and haven't met so can't speak to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator