Gators Get Outback Bowl RIngs with SEC EAST Champs on side

GatorRaz

Gator Fan in Enemy Territory!!!
Dec 12, 2014
Outback Bowl rings, yes! They won! SEC East champs, no!!!

Of course I'm the guy who didn't give out championship rings for winning the silver division in a 10u baseball tournament. Told the director to keep them because we didn't come here for 5th place. 4 teams in the gold division were better than us!

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't guess with Spurrier, since he considers Florida's first SEC championship before they divided into divisions. Meyer maybe before an SEC Championship just to show the recruits something positive. Saban don't know, and haven't met so can't speak to that.
Meyer definitely would not and feel free to give us your theory on Saban...you don't have to know him to theorize. You think Saban is a participation guy?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Meyer definitely would not and feel free to give us your theory on Saban...you don't have to know him to theorize. You think Saban is a participation guy?

For Meyer it wouldn't be participation, all three are not participation guys. But Meyer would as a sales job, until 2006. Meyer is the ultimate seller on the recruiting trail, booster trail, and people visiting his facilities.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know. Maybe they would, depending on the circumstances. Coaches use all sorts of gimmicks to motivate or build a program.

We seem to forget that UF football has not exactly been firing on all cylinders over the past decade. We can pretend that winning the East is beneath our dignity but it is better than having a losing record or not getting to Atlanta....both of which have happened recently.

If this helps build the program, either to point out what is still needed or as an incremental reward, then go for it. I continue to maintain that some folks are making too big a deal of it. It's just a ring (or t-shirt) or whatever.
I respect your POV and like you, I dont get too worked up over this issue although it does bring with it the sense of 'trophies for everyone' narrative IMO. I would say though that I can't ever imagine a time in my life that rewarding me for being good but not great motivated me to get better. I will say that being rewarded for achieving some major goals definitely went a long way towards future motivation in other work areas but not nearly as much as getting nothing because I didn't accomplish what I set out to.

Failure has always been my primary motivator but it probably is different for different people.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
No way, does anyone think Saban handed out SEC WEST title rings after they lost to UF in 08? nope, he used that loss for a year to motivate his team to accomplish something real.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Do you think SOS would wear an SEC East Championship ring or let his players? Urban? Saban?

I don't know about the players but those coaches have other rings to wear so probably if they had such they would never wear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.