Gators move up to #18 in the coaches poll

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They had to do that in order to move Vandy up after such a hard fought loss.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
We won. Some didn't.

That is the ultimate bottom-line. And a quick, non-debatable statistic.

Grading on execution, talent, opponent strength and style points takes a lot of time, to do it right you have to watch all the games. And even then, it's subjective.

To put a positive spin on this, some folks out there aren't down about the Gators as much as most Gatorchatters. To spin it the other way, the poll-voters are very superficial. (Hard to be otherwise, based on personal knowledge; there's probably 70 teams from the power conferences and a few strays that have to potentially be considered for a Top 25 vote.)

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll tell you this, as boring as that Vanderbilt game may have been (I just skimmed through it), it could not have been more boring than that Michigan/Wisconsin game.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'll tell you this, as boring as that Vanderbilt game may have been (I just skimmed through it), it could not have been more boring than that Michigan/Wisconsin game.
People here will tell you that winning 14-7 is a bad thing and losing 37-35 is a good thing.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
People here will tell you that winning 14-7 is a bad thing and losing 37-35 is a good thing.

I'm definitely not happy with the direction of the program. And it's good that we're winning these crappy games. I guess. I'm not ready to hang it up with Mac, but he has got to make some serious staff changes this off-season.

And not like Chump did. It's OK to hire new coaches yet keep your same offensive and defensive philosophies. We need young energetic coordinators that call great game plans and can really recruit. Oh and we need a new o-line and special teams coach.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm definitely not happy with the direction of the program. And it's good that we're winning these crappy games. I guess. I'm not ready to hang it up with Mac, but he has got to make some serious staff changes this off-season.

And not like Chump did. It's OK to hire new coaches yet keep your same offensive and defensive philosophies. We need young energetic coordinators that call great game plans and can really recruit. Oh and we need a new o-line and special teams coach.
I said this in the box yesterday, but I'm totally on board with a change in ST and OL coach. Nuss is safe for now, and Mac is more or less untouchable, because the sh*t runs downhill, always has. Right now you can attribute the lion's share of the offense's problems to the line, and the special teams are as bad as they've been in a very long time outside of having two superhuman kickers. No creative fakes, punt return team is shockingly bad this year, punt coverage team has had issues here and there but had a good game against Vandy, and the kick return team is a virtual non-factor when the kick isn't a touchback.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rumph, Skipper, Dixon, and Gray are good recruiters and good position coaches.

Shannon is a good linebackers coach but a terrible recruiter.

Nuss, Nord, Summers, and Collins suck at both.

What would be ideal is that Collins gets a head coaching gig somewhere and the other three get axed.

rockinchair

Dec 11, 2015
Rumph, Skipper, Dixon, and Gray are good recruiters and good position coaches.

Shannon is a good linebackers coach but a terrible recruiter.

Nuss, Nord, Summers, and Collins suck at both.

What would be ideal is that Collins gets a head coaching gig somewhere and the other three get axed.

Agree with this.

I THINK Mac is a good coach. I want him to be anyway. Problem is, he was forced to hire JV coaches from JV programs because Foley didn't want to spend the coin to get a real staff to go with Mac.

LSU is a HUGE game for Coach Mac We'll see what adjustments he'll make (if any), based off the last 2 weeks sloppy perfomances. And this offseason is going to be huge for him, too. Regardless of how we finish out the year (and it's not looking good), he HAS to make some staff changes. For the sake of recruiting and the product on the field. If he doesn't, then he's a dead man walking, imo.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just goes to show you how worthless the poll system is.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We won. Some didn't.
That is the ultimate bottom-line. And a quick, non-debatable statistic.

To put a positive spin on this, some folks out there aren't down about the Gators as much as most Gatorchatters. ...

Gatorchatterers.

:peabody:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.