GCMB Poll: Greatest UF football player ever

Who is the greatest UF football player of alltime?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's ridiculous. Ismail is easily the most overrated player of the last 30 years. He wouldn't even have started on our 2008 team.

Griffin's another overrated back. He's listed that high because he won back to back Heismans during a weak period in college football.
Ismail wouldn't even be one of our first string kick returners.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
Wilbur was a bad mother..hush your mouth. Dude played with evil intent.

And I was there for the USC game when the team came back out and took a victory lap. That game put UF on the national map.

Charley Pell built one hell of a team and Wilbur was a big piece of that.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
The All-Athlon Team

The Athlon Era Dream Team consists of 22 of history’s greatest collegiate players, each of whom has a spot in our top 50.

QB: Tim Tebow *3 1st place votes

RB: Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders *Walker had 9 1st place votes

WR: Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald

TE: Keith Jackson

OL: John Hannah Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, Anthony Munoz

C: Dave Rimington

DE: Hugh Green, Randy White

DT: Lee Roy Selmon, Ndamukong Suh

LB: Derrick Thomas, Lawrence Taylor, Brian Bosworth

CB: Charles Woodson, Deion Sanders

S: Ronnie Lott, Kenny Easley

Danny finished #48 on this list

Bosworth was a great college linebacker. But Bosworth has no business on this list. Wilber was better, Spikes was just as good, and that's just looking at Gators. Can't argue with any of the rest.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That's ridiculous. Ismail is easily the most overrated player of the last 30 years. He wouldn't even have started on our 2008 team.

Griffin's another overrated back. He's listed that high because he won back to back Heismans during a weak period in college football.

100% agree on both.

Though they played at smaller schools or against lighter competition, LaDanian Tomlinson and Marshall Faulk had incredible college careers. If you want to stick to big schools, Ricky Williams comes to mind.

Ismail was a great football player, a difference maker, but has no business on this list. Those Notre Dame teams didn't throw a lot. Ismail made his mark in the return game. Anthony Carter at Michigan, Irving Fryar at Nebraska, Calvin Johnson at GT, Keyshawn at USC, and Tim Brown at ND were all better college WR. Desmond Howard was very similar to Rocket. As a WR, Percy was a much better runner than Rocket.

Even though I really don't like him, the guy missing from this list is Reggie Bush. As an all-around player, Bush was much better than Rocket.

Alex.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I'll throw in a name for my dad, Rick Casaeres was as good as ANY football player who ever donned the Orange and Blue. Dad also said he could pretty much clean out any bar in N Florida single handed.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wilbur was a bad mother..hush your mouth. Dude played with evil intent.

And I was there for the USC game when the team came back out and took a victory lap. That game put UF on the national map.

Charley Pell built one hell of a team and Wilbur was a big piece of that.

Most people have no clue how athletic Marshall was. The Sun stuck me on high school sports when I arrived in the fall of '79. One of the first games I was assigned to was Titusville Astronaut at Eastside. Marshall and some other dude were flying above the rim during pre-game warmup. The packed gym was oohing and ahhing. I mean, here was a guy 6-3 literally flying above the rim. That takes some spring in your legs.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'll throw in a name for my dad, Rick Casaeres was as good as ANY football player who ever donned the Orange and Blue. Dad also said he could pretty much clean out any bar in N Florida single handed.

Yeah, he was a fighter. He was also connected to the guys in the shiny suits. It was a different time. Great athlete.

Alex.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Frozen, go to post #35 on page 2. My dad also told me about Rick. He said he was amazing and a big man for that time...................

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, he was a fighter. He was also connected to the guys in the shiny suits. It was a different time. Great athlete.

Alex.
225px-Rick_Casares_1953.JPG
Tampa has always been a hot spot for the garbage business. Shrimp boats stayed busy year round.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
Looking at past Gators, Chuck Hunsinger is worth a mention. Certainly not the greatest, but still a real humdinger.

Memorably, in 1948, he had a 96-yard kickoff return for a touchdown against the Alabama Crimson Tide, and his 842 total yards for 1948 would remain the Gators' single season rushing record until it was broken by Nat Moore in 1972. Hunsinger had two outstanding games in 1949, rushing for 199 yards versus the Furman Hurricanes and 174 yards and three touchdowns against the Georgia Bulldogs.[

He played in the NFL and CFL:
He is most remembered, however, for one play in 1954's 42nd Grey Cup. His Alouettes were leading by five points in the final minutes of the game, and were threatening to add to the lead with the ball on the Edmonton Eskimos' ten yard-line. In a 1968 interview with The Toronto Star, Hunsinger recalled,
"I was right back and the play was a sweep to the left. Their right tackle broke through and I saw I wasn't going anywhere, so I decided to pass. . . . Just as I was about to throw, someone hit me from behind—not hard, mind you—but enough to shake the ball loose. Somebody was lying across my legs and I was sick when I looked up to see Jackie Parker taking off down the field."

Canadian Football Hall of Fame great Parker returned the ball a record ninety yards to score the game-winning touchdown. It was one of the greatest plays in Grey Cup history.

Hunsinger recounted picking up his wife at Toronto's Royal York Hotel after the game, and heading straight home to Harrisburg with a sick feeling in his stomach. He also recalled the elation of arriving at his home to find an 800-foot-long "Cheer up, Chuck" telegram with the signatures of 21,947 Montreal Alouettes fans.

Canadians are real pumpers, eh?

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Although he's a Gator and from my home town, Emmitt is an A$$#&%@...just sayin, I don't like the man...

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow has a Heisman, and was a huge part of 2 national championships. Plus he's in the conversation for greatest college football player of all time. So he gets my vote. I will add though... on a pure talent standpoint Percy Harvin is the best football player I've ever seen in person.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
These polls never give history past 25 years enough credit.
I think in this case though, the last 25 years have had players who are so amazing that credit has been given to long ago players, but they have just fallen short. Can you imagine Tebow or Percy 40 or even 50 years ago...might not have lost a game their whole time here while scoring 80 a game

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I think in this case though, the last 25 years have had players who are so amazing that credit has been given to long ago players, but they have just fallen short. Can you imagine Tebow or Percy 40 or even 50 years ago...might not have lost a game their whole time here while scoring 80 a game
Yes, but the era they played needs consideration and besides it's fun to talk about and food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.