GCMB Poll: Greatest UF football player ever

Who is the greatest UF football player of alltime?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
This. It's frustrating there isn't more video of him during his UF years to show the younger fans. Chandler was a one-of-a-kind athlete who could make the acrobatic catch or the open-field run after catch that would leave defenders grasping for air. He had speed to burn, too. There has never been another UF receiver even in his area code.

Well, maybe you could google San Diego Chargers when Dan Fouts and Wes Chandler were the best passing combo in the NFL. I loved to watch them way back then.

Here is an article discussing the offense back then...
http://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/16/s...dent-powerful-offense-can-go-all-the-way.html

No. 5 Wes Chandler (1981-1987)
1 of 6

1. Wes Chandler joined the Chargers as part of a trade in 1981 from the New Orleans Saints. He was a 3rd overall pick in the 1978 NFL Draft.

He was a great pickup for the Bolts and amassed 6,132 receiving yards on 373 receptions and caught 41 touchdowns in a Chargers uniform. He was a great weapon for Hall of Fame QB Dan Fouts under Head Coach Don Coryell's system, known widely as "Air Coryell"

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, maybe you could google San Diego Chargers when Dan Fouts and Wes Chandler were the best passing combo in the NFL. I loved to watch them way back then.

Here is an article discussing the offense back then...
http://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/16/s...dent-powerful-offense-can-go-all-the-way.html

No. 5 Wes Chandler (1981-1987)
1 of 6

1. Wes Chandler joined the Chargers as part of a trade in 1981 from the New Orleans Saints. He was a 3rd overall pick in the 1978 NFL Draft.

He was a great pickup for the Bolts and amassed 6,132 receiving yards on 373 receptions and caught 41 touchdowns in a Chargers uniform. He was a great weapon for Hall of Fame QB Dan Fouts under Head Coach Don Coryell's system, known widely as "Air Coryell"

This isn't bad footage. Some of the catches still look unreal. The guy had great hands, great feet.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This isn't bad footage. Some of the catches still look unreal. The guy had great hands, great feet.

He was my idol when I was a kid. Damn near single-handidly beat the Dwags.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I refuse to participate. There's no reason for me to say who was the greatest across so many different times and with such variety in their circumstances. I do agree that SOS, Danny and Timmy are 'greatest ones' of UF.
Truly, The Voice of Reason.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This. It's frustrating there isn't more video of him during his UF years to show the younger fans. Chandler was a one-of-a-kind athlete who could make the acrobatic catch or the open-field run after catch that would leave defenders grasping for air. He had speed to burn, too. There has never been another UF receiver even in his area code.
This^ and played without ever a true passing QB until he hit the pros. He was Deon Sanders fast and hands like Charles Casey. Better than any SOS receiver ................Carlos was probably the closest thing to him till he ruined his knee

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Last one of this endless offseason.

The weighted criteria:

1) 40% Performance on the field
2) 20% Leadership
3) 10% How it all translated to the team
4) 20% Conduct off the field
5) 10% National attention brought to the program

I'm probably going to catch flak over naming Harvin while not naming John Reaves, Fred Taylor, Cris Collinsworth or Louis Oliver. The first eight came automatically. The last two were a struggle. Enjoy.

If that's your criteria than it really isn't even close. It's Tim and then everyone else

Danny is as good as Tebow, and better in some, in all these categories except the National attention category. I voted for Danny.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You mean LDR isn't on that list to vote for??!! LOLOL

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Wuerffel's conduct off the field wasn't as good as Tebow's? What about four SEC titles, a national and a Heisman? What about his doing it through example rather than being demonstrative? What about his doing it with not nearly the physical skills of Tebow?

I think Wuerffel is the most compelling college football player of my lifetime, which is why I voted for him.

I picked Danny also. Tebow only has one SEC to his name. Danny has 3 with the Natty and a Heisman. And...

He finished his Gator career by completing 708 of 1,170 passes for 10,875 yards with 114 touchdown passes, the best in SEC history and second-most in major college history.[6] His career pass efficiency rating of 163.56 was the best in major college history and his percentage of passes which went for a touchdown (9.74) ranked first in collegiate history. In 1995, his efficiency rating of 178.4 set a single-season collegiate record. During his Heisman-winning season of 1996, he completed 207 of 360 passes for 3,625 yards (an SEC record at the time) for 39 touchdowns (leading the nation) and his efficiency rating of 170.6 made him the first quarterback to ever post a rating of 170 or better in back-to-back years.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to justify Danny over Tim given the criteria. Performance on the field is probably a push, but many could argue that Tim deserved two Heisman's and some would argue three, still call it a push. Leadership is Tim. He was the unquestioned leader, and while Danny led by example he had others to share the task with (Bates and Wright). Translation to the team is a push. Conduct off the field: while Danny certainly did nothing wrong, look at what Tebow did. He witnessed to prisoners and traveled all over the world helping. Edge to Tim, but not Danny's fault. National attention is a big edge to Tebow. SOS demanded the attention garnered by those teams. Probably a push if not for SOS receiving credit and overshadowing the players.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Emmitt time.

I am reminded of two things from this vid, that he had unusual game speed and unusual leg drive, which allowed him to carry multiple defenders forward.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our 1989 quarterbacks: Donald Douglas, Lex Smith (shown here) and Kyle Morris. :lol:

Smith hurdles the goal line against FSU. Check out the unis.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Danny is as good as Tebow, and better in some, in all these categories except the National attention category. I voted for Danny.
There was plenty of attention on Danny. The media particularly playwd up the Danny vs Manning thing (which was never really even a competitiin). But it wasnt the circus likenTebow had no doubt. In fact, when the media asked SOS too much about Danny and the Heisman in 1995, SOS benched him for a game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There was plenty of attention on Danny. The media particularly playwd up the Danny vs Manning thing (which was never really even a competitiin). But it wasnt the circus likenTebow had no doubt. In fact, when the media asked SOS too much about Danny and the Heisman in 1995, SOS benched him for a game.

That was the Northern Illinois Homecoming game. I was there and disappointed Wuerffel wasn't on the field. Kresser started and threw for something like seven TDs.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nothing against Emmitt of course, dude's vision, gears and thighs were the super hero to be, but there was some pretty sweet head hunting line play as well. As for the OP's criteria bait, hmm

Tim
Danny
SOS

I feel extremely fortunate to have seen 2 of those players careers, missed SOS playing days but what a ride he gave me coaching wise. However, I'm sure those that saw SOS playing probably had the same adoration those of us in the Danny/Tim generations. Go Gators!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

The reason there is so little film of him is that he was wasted in a wishbone offense. His situation at UF was not unlike Calvin Johnson in college.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
In fact, when the media asked SOS too much about Danny and the Heisman in 1995, SOS benched him for a game.

Spurrier DID NOT bench Wuerffel. Spurrier rather gave Kresser a game. Kresser was talented and Spurrier want to try to keep him around as a back up. Ultimately that did not work, but Wuerffel was certainly NOT benched due to media attention.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Spurrier DID NOT bench Wuerffel. Spurrier rather gave Kresser a game. Kresser was talented and Spurrier want to try to keep him around as a back up. Ultimately that did not work, but Wuerffel was certainly NOT benched due to media attention.

Yeah...that was all for the benefit of Kresser. SOS is one helluva guy.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow. Period. The criteria given should make it a no brainer. Specially since any guy who could keep that bunch of knuckleheaded misfits focused long enough to win a National Championship should get ten bonus points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.