GCMB Poll: Most dangerous UF running back ever

Who was the second "most dangerous" UF running back?

• Neal Anderson (1982-1985)

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Errict Rhett (1990-1993)

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • John L. Williams (1982-1985)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Fred Taylor (1994-1997)

Votes: 26 53.1%
  • Ciatrick Fason (2002-2004)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Jimmy DuBose (1972-1975)

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Earnest Graham (1999-2002)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tony Green (1974-1977)

• Jeff Demps (2008-2011)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • James Jones (1979-1982)

• Total voters

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, Trey Burton looks good against Kintucky. Everyone looks good against Kintucky.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I drove the wagons down from Lake City.
OMG. Murphree and you were best buddies I guess.
Joe, I have found the VERY best Larry Dupree story ever. From the Florida SPortsman forum (forgot they had one).
Here is part of and the link to much more. You gotta read it.
"A prayer was answered Sunday morning in Macclenny when Larry Dupree breathed his last breath on this earth after a massive heart attack. Just a few days earlier, Dupree was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. He told the doctor he would rather die of a massive heart attack than to go through the lung cancer treatments. God heard that prayer and called Larry home Sunday morning.

One of the first to call and offer condolences was Florida coach Will Muschamp.

For those of you too young to have seen him play, Larry Dupree was an absolute stud among studs. Old Gators like Tommy Shannon, who have seen practically every game Florida has played since his own playing career came to an end in 1964, call Dupree the best player they have ever seen in the orange and blue.

Maybe you can argue best. Don’t even try to argue toughest.

In the early morning of November 8, 1963, the day before Florida-Georgia in Jacksonville, the first born child of Larry and Denise Dupree was stillborn. Dupree was absolutely devastated and so was the entire Florida campus when word spread of the tragedy. There wasn’t a more humble or better liked player on campus. Teammates have always remembered him as the ultimate, selfless Gator who never really thought he deserved all the acclaim. He was a three-time first team All-SEC performer and a first team All-America selection in an era when the great offensive teams racked up for a full game about what Baylor and Oregon ring up in a typical first half before they pull the starters and start playing the backups and scrubeenies.

That afternoon, before the Gators boarded the buses that would take them over to Jacksonville, Dupree asked Coach Ray Graves if he could speak to the team. Coach Graves said yes. When Larry walked into the room, Gene Ellenson was about halfway through one of his fiery pep talks. Ellenson saw Dupree and just walked out of the room without saying a word.
http://forums.floridasportsman.com/...e-can-learn-something-about-maturity-from-him

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, yes I am.
07820f26d28f6fb23738eef6c54e72d9430a3908.jpeg

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Was Nat Moore a RB or slot guy for UF? I honestly don't know. If he was a RB, then I effed up by not including him.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Call him what you want, but Percy ran the ball plenty whether he motioned into the backfield or he lined up in the backfield to start. So with that said, Percy Harvins (as Nat so eloquently called him), no matter what the he77 position he was listed in the program, was the most explosive player with the ball in his hands in the history of Florida Gator football!!!!!!!!!. As others said earlier in the thread, Percy, case closed!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I damn sure ain't Demps, but that run against Kentucky is maybe the most awesome display of speed on a football field I can recall.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
67 % avg with 16 total interceptions isnt accurate? Thats over 4 years. Dont say nothing about his motion

As one who never thought Tim Tebow could ever be a QB in the NFL, he was in fact a great college QB. He stats speak for themselves, however I was one who said Tebow was inaccurate as he77, regardless of his completion %. He thru a lot of slip screens and shovel passes that helped his %, but how many slip screens did he put at Brandon James feet causing James to lose his balance? How many WR screens did he throw to the incorrect shoulder causing the WR to spin around and lose momentum? Again Tebow was a great college player but was never an accurate passer on a consistent basis.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Was Nat Moore a RB or slot guy for UF? I honestly don't know. If he was a RB, then I effed up by not including him.
I believe we ran a true wishbone. The flexbone utilized a slot man

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Well '78, on these poll gigs you have going on, I just pick who I loved while being a student... saw every game, went home hoarse and tight :grin:

James Jones... John L. Williams... Neal Anderson

JJones_Grab.jpg

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As one who never thought Tim Tebow could ever be a QB in the NFL, he was in fact a great college QB. He stats speak for themselves, however I was one who said Tebow was inaccurate as he77, regardless of his completion %. He thru a lot of slip screens and shovel passes that helped his %, but how many slip screens did he put at Brandon James feet causing James to lose his balance? How many WR screens did he throw to the incorrect shoulder causing the WR to spin around and lose momentum? Again Tebow was a great college player but was never an accurate passer on a consistent basis.

http://blog.al.com/press-register-sports/2010/01/sec_football_by_the_numbers_ti.html
Passing efficiency: Tebow not only set the SEC record for highest career passer rating, he also broke the standing NCAA record. Unfortunately for Tebow, so did another QB -- and by more than Tebow did.

The NCAA measures passing efficiency through a formula that considers completion percentage, yards per pass, touchdowns per pass and interceptions per pass. In that way, passers aren't judged by how much they throw, but by how well they throw.
I guess you have a different formula you use to determine accuracy,

Tebow's rating of 170.8 surpassed Wuerffel's mark of 163.6 in the SEC record book. It also surpassed the NCAA record of 168.9 set by Boise State's Brian Dinwiddie from 2000 through '03. However, Oklahoma's Sam Bradford, despite (or perhaps because of) missing most of the 2009 season, has a career passer rating of 175.6.

Interception ratio: One reason for Tebow's high passer rating is his low interception ratio. In his career, Tebow threw an interception every 62.2 passes. The SEC divides this record into three categories -- for players with 200, 400 and 600 passing attempts -- and Tebow leads all three. For the highest category, second place belongs to former Kentucky QB Andre Woodson with an interception every 51.1 passes.

Tebow came close, but didn't break the NCAA career record. The NCAA measures interceptions in terms of percent of passes attempted. For Tebow, 1.6 percent of his throws were picked off. The NCAA record of 1.3 percent was set by Billy Volek at Fresno State from 1997 through '99.

Completion percentage: The SEC limits this category to quarterbacks who have completed at least 300 passes, and among that group, Tebow ranked second entering the season and ends his career in the same spot. Tebow completed 213 of his 314 attempts in 2009, a 67.8 percent completion rate. That's the third-best mark in SEC history for QBs who completed at least 200 passes. Tim Couch holds the season record at 72.3 percent at Kentucky in 1998. Tebow finished 0.002 percent behind the second-place mark of 67.836 achieved by Russell at LSU in 2006.

The 2009 performance edged up Tebow's career mark to 66.4 percent, behind only the 67.1 percent of Couch from 1996 through '98 in SEC history.

In a strange twist, Tebow did better an existing NCAA career completion percentage record without breaking the SEC mark. The NCAA divides this record into passers with between 875 and 999 attempts and those with at least 1,000 attempts. The 875-to-999 record had been held by Scott Milanovich, who completed 66.2 percent of his passes from 1992 through '95, so Tebow broke this record. Although, again, he's running second to Bradford, who also is in this category and has a career completion mark of 67.6 percent.

It's a non-record, though, because the player who leads the 1,000-or-more category -- Hawaii's Brennan -- completed 70.4 percent of his passes, better than the record in the category with fewer attempts.

Passing yards: Tebow didn't have a prayer of breaking the SEC career mark of 11,528 yards set by David Greene at Georgia from 2001 through '04. Tebow finished with 9,285, good for 11th in SEC history.

That's a lot of slipscreens to throw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.