Generators

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, and Computer Tech' started by bradgator2, Aug 29, 2016.

1. bradgator2

bradgator2 1/29/17 half marathon - 1 hour, 34 min, 2 secs
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,627
    Ratings:
    +7,734 / -45
    Anyone have a whole house generator?

I have thought about these things for years. Such an investment for something you might not ever need. But what a lifesaver if the big one ever came through.

What about smaller "portable" generators with a transfer switch? I LOVE those near quiet Honda inverters. All I would need to stay livable would be the well, a window unit, and a fridge. I have a nice big buried LP tank for fuel (and for stove and grill).

2. grengadgy

grengadgy Dubs' Agent
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1
    Ratings:
    +1,865 / -20
  3. Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $1,858
    Ratings:
    +8,969 / -35
    Yeah what you want isn't a whole house generator but a backup that'll keep basic necessities working. Like the fridge. The automatic ones are spendy but better for less handy folks or people that might not be home when the power goes out. You have to put all these necessary circuits on a separate switch so that when you flip the switch to connect the generator to these home circuits it disconnects them from the grid. Otherwise everybody takes your power and you blow the fuse or you stand a chance of electrocuting a power line worker nearby. The automatic systems of course do this without the user having to touch anything.

One interesting approach for people who have a hybrid car is to use the battery bank in the car and an inverter to power the house. Basically you rig up a plug in connection from the car to the inverter that is quick and easy to use. Then turn the car on but have all the lights and accessories off. The car will start and stop automatically to recharge the battery bank as necessary. You still need the switch wired in to disconnect from the grid when doing this.

• Concrete Helmet

Concrete Helmet Hook, Line, and Sinker
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,153
      Ratings:
      +5,403 / -135
      A little off topic but curious if anyone has ever field charged a generator that wasn't making juice? I have a 4 plug bank on mine but when I fired it up like I do every year around storm season only 2 of the 4 were working? I've heard you can plug a drill into one of the non working receptacles while the generator is running and spin it backward with a chuck and it will re magnetize the non working receptacle....Anyone ever done this? I'm afraid to try it myself.....

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,858
      Ratings:
      +8,969 / -35
      Are you sure there isn't just a circuit breaker on the generator that's popped?

• Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,153
      Ratings:
      +5,403 / -135
      I pushed the little resets for them...nothing.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $1,858
      Ratings:
      +8,969 / -35
      If it is a problem with no residual field magnetism, then what you do is have the generator running and plug in an old drill or fan or something with an electric motor than you can spin by hand. If its a drill you gotta hold down the trigger, then spin the drill, or flick the blades of a fan, or somehow spin the motor of whatever you have plugged in. The idea is that it'll generate a tiny bit of current that will reenergize the field and the gen will kick on. Of course you gotta be careful because the instant this happens, whatever motor you are using to do this will start spinning. Worth a shot anyway. You might be able to get whatever motor you use spinning by plugging it into the good side and then quickly pulling the plug out and putting it in the other side before it stops spinning.

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,858
        Ratings:
        +8,969 / -35
        Also, I know its sounds stupid, but make sure the outlets themselves aren't GFCIs requiring a reset.

• bradgator2

bradgator2 1/29/17 half marathon - 1 hour, 34 min, 2 secs
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,627
        Ratings:
        +7,734 / -45
        Did you reverse the polarity on the quadrovector-thermalcouple?

• Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,153
        Ratings:
        +5,403 / -135
        Doesn't the motor need to be spinning in reverse though? I thought the reverse current is what re energized the magnetic field or whatever makes electricity...

• Zambo

Zambo Poo Flinger
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,858
        Ratings:
        +8,969 / -35
        I don't think so. It's alternating current. It doesn't flow, it just oscillates back and forth.

• grengadgy

grengadgy Dubs' Agent
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1
        Ratings:
        +1,865 / -20
      • deuce

deuce No Mas!
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $239
        Ratings:
        +1,347 / -53
        I've done it... Wasn't hard or dangerous.

• Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,153
          Ratings:
          +5,403 / -135
          Thanks Gren. I'll break out the drill and a glove this weekend and give it a shot.

• G 2

G 2 Gator Great
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $4
          Ratings:
          +2,662 / -10
          I definitely want to get a whole house generator. Like you half my house already runs on LP. However I only have a 100 gallon tank. So I'll need to bump up my tank too.

I have two of the portable generators. The Honda is crazy quiet. I use it all the time for camping and tailgating. I just run a long enough extension cord so we don't have to breath in any fumes.

• itsgr82bag8r

itsgr82bag8r Political Forum Fire Starter
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,472
          Ratings:
          +7,898 / -45
        • URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamCasey
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,175
          Ratings:
          +11,249 / -171
          Digging up an old but relevant thread.

So what do you guys have for suggestions on brands for portable generators....on just my basic research, I'm leaning towards either a Generac or Westinghouse, and anywhere from 5500 watts to 7500 or 8000 watts.
          I really like the Honda brand, as I know they are reliable, but I just can't justify the cost for their generators considering what else is on the market.

Anything I should be looking out for with these things, or any other brands I should consider?

Basically want to run the fridge, which mine apparently runs about 1000 watts, a portable a/c unit (haven't yet purchased but looking at some decent ones that will run upwards of 1200 watts, with potentially a 2nd smaller portable ac unit for elsewhere in the house (which is partly why I want to consider up to 7500 watts) along with a number of other smaller wattage usage devices/items as well.

I am purposefully looking at 5500-7500 watts or so, to utilize the whole "hours per 50% power usage" blah blah lol.

• Concrete Helmet

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,153
          Ratings:
          +5,403 / -135
          Checkout the new Troy Bilt that Lowes is carrying. Nice features like a pull out plug receptacle box, means less extension cords, with the LCD watt readout so every time you plug in something you know what you're drawing. Briggs and Stratton powered, low oil shutdown, remote electric start for under a grand...
          https://www.lowes.com/pd/Troy-Bilt-...Generator-with-Briggs-Stratton-Engine/3192419

• Blacklabgator

Blacklabgator Lurking Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $1,088
            Ratings:
            +2,386 / -62
            I have a portable Honda to run stuff at the barn.

• URGatorBait

URGatorBait #TeamCasey
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $1,175
              Ratings:
              +11,249 / -171
              Was hoping to spend a little less than that, but if it is worth it, it is worth it.
              I like that you can see what you are drawing and the added extension, though this one looks a bit less efficient than the others on the fuel consumption.