Geoff Collins named Temple HC

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We'll see how Collins will do when he does not have Shannon there. You know that Shannon had a significant part in the GP.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Temple: The Philadelphia Inquirer reports Geoff Collins has a 5-year deal worth about $2 million annually. He won't coach in the Outback Bowl with Florida.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Temple: The Philadelphia Inquirer reports Geoff Collins has a 5-year deal worth about $2 million annually. He won't coach in the Outback Bowl with Florida.

Crazy coaches are getting that much to coach at Temple now. I don't think the Hurricanes even pay that unless they just started with Richt.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. We were too slow on the trigger...

To be fair... they were probably working on this before Collins even took the job with Temple. Of course... if it was McElwain's first call then he could have found a way to make it happen, but I think the promote Strong, hire a great recruiter option is better... if we do that!

I really like the move Skipper to LB and hire Locksley idea.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow, Collins got a $2m/yr 5 yr contract. For reference, Kiffin is making $950k at FAU.

Sep 29, 2015
To be fair... they were probably working on this before Collins even took the job with Temple. Of course... if it was McElwain's first call then he could have found a way to make it happen, but I think the promote Strong, hire a great recruiter option is better... if we do that!

I really like the move Skipper to LB and hire Locksley idea.

I presume you mean promote Shannon. But the reference to Strong is interesting. I believe Mac did ask Strong who told him thanks, but no I want a HC job. During Mac's press conference after Collins took the Temple job he was asked about all the new coaches in the state and he mentioned having already spoken to Strong to congratulate him, which struck me as kind of odd unless they were talking about other things like the DC job.

I think Mac is looking to make a splash to build some momentum heading into the off-season, but will use Shannon as a fallback. Otherwise, why not just name Shannon now? If he is looking to make a splash for recruiting purposes, we can expect him to name the replacement right at the end of the dead period to maximize the effect of the announcement on potential recruits.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I presume you mean promote Shannon. But the reference to Strong is interesting. I believe Mac did ask Strong who told him thanks, but no I want a HC job. During Mac's press conference after Collins took the Temple job he was asked about all the new coaches in the state and he mentioned having already spoken to Strong to congratulate him, which struck me as kind of odd unless they were talking about other things like the DC job.

I think Mac is looking to make a splash to build some momentum heading into the off-season, but will use Shannon as a fallback. Otherwise, why not just name Shannon now? If he is looking to make a splash for recruiting purposes, we can expect him to name the replacement right at the end of the dead period to maximize the effect of the announcement on potential recruits.

Yes.. I meant Shannon, but I also noted him saying he talked to Strong and thought he same thing as you.

I wonder if he is looking to hire another assistant when he promotes Shannon and is looking to make one announcement with the whole story.

Sep 29, 2015
I wonder if he is looking to hire another assistant when he promotes Shannon and is looking to make one announcement with the whole story.

That could be the case, too.

Shannon is apparently coaching the D in the bowl game. If they shut down Iowa (which they should), announcing Shannon as DC afterward might provide a little juice?

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That could be the case, too.

Shannon is apparently coaching the D in the bowl game. If they shut down Iowa (which they should), announcing Shannon as DC afterward might provide a little juice?

Agree... although I am not so sure we shut them down without healthy LBs. We will have to see who actually plays, but if Davis and Reese are both out, with Anzaolne out also... it makes me worried.

I think we need to put up some points and put pressure on them.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
So is Shannon getting the DC job? If so, that is depressing. He hasn't recruited well. We need someone on staff that can actually recruit.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Wow. Remember when Spurrier was the highest paid college coach at $2M per year???

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lets try to limit the sensationalism. We've had a very good defense, but it aint top ranked.
I'm not even sure it's good. Id say we are a mediocre defense that plays against terrible, terrible offenses.

However, we sure as hell aren't top ranked, but I get tired of busting on people sometimes and let that "top ranked" thing slide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.