Harnesses sound to extinguish fires:

[video=youtube;uPVQMZ4ikvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPVQMZ4ikvM[/video]

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Very neat, but I wonder how it would work on something that is more sustainable at holding a flame, like wood, as it would be in a forest fire.

Subwoofers can create air movement, so I'm not sure if it was actually the frequency that put out the flame, or just the movement of air the woofer creates based on the frequency it's being given.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n202259 said:
Very neat, but I wonder how it would work on something that is more sustainable at holding a flame, like wood, as it would be in a forest fire.

Subwoofers can create air movement, so I'm not sure if it was actually the frequency that put out the flame, or just the movement of air the woofer creates based on the frequency it's being given.

I thought the same thing, but the flame doesn't move as if being blown out.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave;n202273 said:
I thought the same thing, but the flame doesn't move as if being blown out.

With a higher frequency the woofer would move faster, so wonder if just happens faster than you notice it moving the flame. Plus it's just an oil flame, when they go out, they are out. Wood is different.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n202292 said:
With a higher frequency the woofer would move faster, so wonder if just happens faster than you notice it moving the flame. Plus it's just an oil flame, when they go out, they are out. Wood is different.

The point of a sub-woffer and the base is to have a lower tone. Lower tone means less movement or vibrations. If it was about fast vibrations, they would have it hooked up to tweeters.

Have you ever been in a car where guys have the subs in the trunk? Ok, ok I admit it. I had some as a young hooligan. I had 2 15" MDXs in a box that filled my trunk. You could hear the thump blocks away. I could barely turn the volume up for the fact it would take your breath away. You just couldn't breath.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept but I'd think to put out a forrest fire it would take a really big sub.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n202661 said:
The point of a sub-woffer and the base is to have a lower tone. Lower tone means less movement or vibrations. If it was about fast vibrations, they would have it hooked up to tweeters.

Did you listen to it? That was not a typical low bass frequency. It was a higher/faster frequency, but still on the woofers spectrum. A tweeter is not going to move the air a subwoofer does. You probably know that though. My point is that the frequency was high relative to a woofers range.

NVGator;n202661 said:
Have you ever been in a car where guys have the subs in the trunk? Ok, ok I admit it. I had some as a young hooligan. I had 2 15" MDXs in a box that filled my trunk. You could hear the thump blocks away. I could barely turn the volume up for the fact it would take your breath away. You just couldn't breath.

Anyway, it's an interesting concept but I'd think to put out a forrest fire it would take a really big sub.

Then you should be very well aware of the amount of air a woofer can move.

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n202661 said:

My old 2x18 + 2x10 Peavy cabinet would make your pants legs vibrate.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n202294 said:
Agreed. Wood does not go away quickly.

If burning wood lasts for more than four hours, be sure to take it to a hospital. Or just stick it in front of a sub-woofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.