Getting to know Luke Del Rio

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ESPN's Ed Aschoff reported over the summer, back when Del Rio was still seeking an immediate eligibility waiver, that Del Rio was the standout quarterback at Florida's summer workouts.

Former Florida quarterback Shane Matthews has also not been shy about praising Del Rio. He stated a handful of times on local radio interviews -- one even before Grier's appeal had been ruled on -- that he thought Del Rio would be Florida's starting quarterback in 2016 no matter what happened with Grier.

SEC Network analyst Chris Doering had also made similar comments.

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/Del-Rio-early-favorite-to-win-UFs-QB-job-in-2016-42210446

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
maybe del rio can spike treon's as well...

please make it so...

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
From everything I hear, Del Rio would have probably played in the last few games if he were eligible. Harris will not play QB here again.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Shane Mathews also said he's never even seen him throw and wouldn't recognize him if he seen him. That's just what he was told. Shane didn't sound nearly as optimistic as that article makes it out. That was based on what shane was told.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
If, and I mean IF Del Rio is the reason Grier decided to transfer, I'd like to believe it's a sign that LDR is showing solid command of Mac's offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Shane Mathews also said he's never even seen him throw and wouldn't recognize him if he seen him. That's just what he was told. Shane didn't sound nearly as optimistic as that article makes it out. That was based on what shane was told.
good info, just posting what I'd seen.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Here is my preference for our QB going forward.
1. I want a QB taller than 6'. They need to see over the LOS and see the entire field.
2. I want a Pro style QB that can run if they have to and sometimes throw it away.
3. I want a QB that understands the system and we are not expanding the playbook as the season goes along.
4. I want a QB that can read a Defense and check out of a play.
5.. I want a QB that loves to compete and hates to lose. They need that winning sprit and ability to motivate the team around him.

Bonus wants
1. I want a QB that doesn't wear number 12. The last great Gator QB and only if my memory serves me right to wear 12 is Kerwin Bell.
2. I want a QB that is a son of a preacher. The last three starting QBs for Florida that were preacher son's brought us titles, Heismans, and statues outside the stadium.
chris-leak-trophy.jpg

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Like I said before. I love CL and the NC he brought us. He threw a frozen rope, was a model Gator (never got in trouble), kept his nose in the play book, and was great on the field. However, let us be honest. If we didn't have Tebow to come in and get that 4th and short against 11essee we would have los that game and no NC. He was a good QB, but not elite. Yes I know he owns the most passing yards in a career at Florida and second in TD passes to Wuerffel, but he started all 4 years of his career (well 9 games of his freshman season anyway) for us when others at the best 2.5-3.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator said:
If we didn't have Tebow to come in and get that 4th and short against 11essee we would have los that game and no NC.
I know this might seem to be an odd concept with our twisted history, but rumor is that some teams just use their running backs to be the running backs. Wuerrffel wasnt the 4th and 1 back either.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I know this might seem to be an odd concept with our twisted history, but rumor is that some teams just use their running backs to be the running backs. Wuerrffel wasnt the 4th and 1 back either.

DeShawn Wynn or Tebow on 4th and 1.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Like I said before. I love CL and the NC he brought us. He threw a frozen rope, was a model Gator (never got in trouble), kept his nose in the play book, and was great on the field.
(1) However, let us be honest. If we didn't have Tebow to come in and get that 4th and short against 11essee we would have los that game and no NC.

(2) He was a good QB, but not elite.

(3) Yes I know he owns the most passing yards in a career at Florida and second in TD passes to Wuerffel, but he started all 4 years of his career (well 9 games of his freshman season anyway)...

(1) I was as pissed about Leak going down early as anyone. And I think you're right, in that Tebow kept the dream alive with that play. Unfortunately for Leak, that ONE PLAY sticks in the mind of every Gator, and like you, they diminish how great Leak was because of it. Every time this argument comes up it always comes back to that ONE PLAY.

- No one remembers all the great plays HE DID make in the Tenn game and hardly anyone ever remembers he was the MVP of the National Championship game.

- Every
QB who has ever won a NC has had another player bail him out to save a game or season after they made a boneheaded play. Therefore, Leak's boneheaded play doesn't diminish all the greatness he brought to the team.

(2) He survived the Zook years and the Meyer transition. He won us a national championship and set records along the way. I love Kerwin Bell and will forever remember screaming my head off at the infamous 86 Auburn game. But in terms of being "elite", how can you one say Bell was elite and ignore Leak who surpassed him in everything, including winning a national championship??? Bell was great. I don't even have a problem with saying he was elite. But there's no way to argue Bell was elite and ignore that Leak accomplished far more than him.

Leak = Elite college QB. Period.

(3) Wuerffel played as a freshman too. AND he was coached by The Ole's Ball coach himself and spent his entire college career in the fun-and-gun offense. Meanwhile Leak shares his years between Zook and Meyer. Zook was not running nearly as potent of an offense as SOS and Meyer ran a system that was ill equipped for Leak but at least was a good enough coach to recognize the talent he had to adjusted his system somewhat to fit Leak's talents.

Leak is 1st and 2nd in career passing and in touchdown passes in UF history. That EASILY puts him in the Top 5 all time QB's at UF...He is only 1 of 3 QB's to ever win a national championship. That alone puts him in the Top 3 QB's in UF history.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Leak is 1st and 2nd in career passing and in touchdown passes in UF history. That EASILY puts him in the Top 5 all time QB's at UF...He is only 1 of 3 QB's to ever win a national championship. That alone puts him in the Top 3 QB's in UF history.
This.

HBC would have OWNED the SEC for 4 years with Chris Champion Leak.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That wasn't the only time Tebow came in that season to ensure a win.

Sooooooooo.... that's your only comment. Ignore everything else said about how great Leak was... Alrighty then....

Look, Tebow was great. We get it. We love Tebow and Superman wore Tebow pajamas and all that...Which is also why he's in the top 3 QB's to ever play at UF.

Do you think Tebow would have taken us to national championship glory his freshman year? Yeah, neither did Urban Meyer, which is why LEAK was our starting QB and Tebow played a specialty role that year. (And did a damn fine job doing it.) Why would you even want to argue against Leak? The guy was an elite college QB. And he's got the stats and the championship ring to prove it.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
(1) I was as pissed about Leak going down early as anyone. And I think you're right, in that Tebow kept the dream alive with that play. Unfortunately for Leak, that ONE PLAY sticks in the mind of every Gator, and like you, they diminish how great Leak was because of it. Every time this argument comes up it always comes back to that ONE PLAY.

- No one remembers all the great plays HE DID make in the Tenn game and hardly anyone ever remembers he was the MVP of the National Championship game.

- Every
QB who has ever won a NC has had another player bail him out to save a game or season after they made a boneheaded play. Therefore, Leak's boneheaded play doesn't diminish all the greatness he brought to the team.

(2) He survived the Zook years and the Meyer transition. He won us a national championship and set records along the way. I love Kerwin Bell and will forever remember screaming my head off at the infamous 86 Auburn game. But in terms of being "elite", how can you one say Bell was elite and ignore Leak who surpassed him in everything, including winning a national championship??? Bell was great. I don't even have a problem with saying he was elite. But there's no way to argue Bell was elite and ignore that Leak accomplished far more than him.

Leak = Elite college QB. Period.

(3) Wuerffel played as a freshman too. AND he was coached by The Ole's Ball coach himself and spent his entire college career in the fun-and-gun offense. Meanwhile Leak shares his years between Zook and Meyer. Zook was not running nearly as potent of an offense as SOS and Meyer ran a system that was ill equipped for Leak but at least was a good enough coach to recognize the talent he had to adjusted his system somewhat to fit Leak's talents.

I smell what you are stepping in, I agree that Leak was an awesome College QB, and was a great Gator. However if given the opportunity to have a Spurrier, Tebow, or Wurffel, I would select any one of those over Leak as our QB. That is all I am saying.

On Wuerffel starting as freshman, you forget that he split A LOT of time with Terry Dean. Dean still had 1651 yard and 17 TDs that year while Wuerffel had 2231 yards and 22 TDs (both had 10 INTs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.