GNFB Film Breakdown UF-UTenn

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Working through the video on offense. He said this a lot last season and we see it again. But, CBN's passing game is very basic and just odd. For example, why are our WRs always close together? He pointed this out through the video and it has been a problem. Either the WRs are running the wrong routes or they are coached poorly. I'm convinced Spurrier's offense would've put 40-50 on this puke, vomit orange defense. It was sloppy, out of position...etc.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Working through the video on offense. He said this a lot last season and we see it again. But, CBN's passing game is very basic and just odd. For example, why are our WRs always close together? He pointed this out through the video and it has been a problem. Either the WRs are running the wrong routes or they are coached poorly. I'm convinced Spurrier's offense would've put 40-50 on this puke, vomit orange defense. It was sloppy, out of position...etc.
You know Spurrier ain't coaching anymore, right? Thr Bear's wishbone probably would have hung half a hundred on em too. Said Nalt the Bammer fan.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Back in the day, I recorded all the games and reviewed them in slo-mo. Mostly to see how each line did (minus the emotion of watching live). Not all games, but the early season games. I'm talking VHS recordings.

I appreciate the guy's efforts.

It does take time to review but it's a great way to get a real feel for the team's week-to-week progress as the season unfolds. Also, seeing the coaches play calls in an extended view (instead of just the TV view) is telling.

The Tennessee DC called a terrible first half. It looked like they thought about it too much. We haven't shown the ability to hit the long ball this year so why not just stack the box like Utah did? Weird. Glad they schemed as they did though.

We're a pretty mediocre offense so far this year. I'm sure KY will stack the box. Can we respond?

The DC scheme was fantastic. He laid the boilerplate for defeating UTenn. The young players did a great job.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

To be fair, Spurrier eclipsed 40 points against ut a total of 2 times in 12 years. And yes, those were better defenses, but this was also one of the most brilliant offensive minds in cfb history at a different time. So that’s a bar set pretty high. Also worth noting, those two games were years 4 and 6(‘93, ‘95) so some of his best and most complete teams teams. Who knows what we may look like if Lagway is as good as we think in a few years.

Also, I’ve been very impressed with the WRs to this point. The routes are a legit debate, but we’ve seen some excellent catches from Douglas, Wilson and even walk-on Jackson. Gonzalez was never my favorite, but it’s probably time he gets some recognition because with every one of his stints, we see an immediate uptick in WR play.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
The inverse of fat Fulmers adjustments (stop with what was working in first half to trick the D :)

Tinner plays pass in first and then goes to stack boxes, like errbody else, in the 2nd. If they weren’t dumb sister lovers and played run in the first half, would the game dynamic of swapped ?

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The inverse of fat Fulmers adjustments (stop with what was working in first galf to trick the D :)

Tinner plays pass in first and then goes to stack boxes, like errbody else, in the 2nd. If they weren’t dumb sister lovers and played run in the first half, would the game dynamic of swapped ?
IMO... would have been a totally different game.

You called out Fulmer perfectly. He never failed to fold in the 3rd and go away from his offensive game plan... like clockwork. :lol:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
To be fair, Spurrier eclipsed 40 points against ut a total of 2 times in 12 years. And yes, those were better defenses, but this was also one of the most brilliant offensive minds in cfb history at a different time. So that’s a bar set pretty high. Also worth noting, those two games were years 4 and 6(‘93, ‘95) so some of his best and most complete teams teams. Who knows what we may look like if Lagway is as good as we think in a few years.

Also, I’ve been very impressed with the WRs to this point. The routes are a legit debate, but we’ve seen some excellent catches from Douglas, Wilson and even walk-on Jackson. Gonzalez was never my favorite, but it’s probably time he gets some recognition because with every one of his stints, we see an immediate uptick in WR play.
The route running (intermediate and long) are definitely suspect. It's still early in the season. Maybe they will add as the season progresses. This could be a really good offense but something has to be done with the passing game. Other teams are going to stack the box and force us to win passing the ball.

The young WRs have some talent.

Tenn's first half D scheme was a head-scratcher.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

To be fair, those UT teams were legit top teams with great play on both sides of the ball Spurrier was facing. This UT pass D has been awful for a few years. Also, doesn't matter who the QB is if multiple guys are running routes into the same area, throw lane (happened a number of times last season), etc. You can call slants before 3rd and 4th down. Lots of things that can be done that have very little, if any to do with the QB.

The receivers have been pretty good, though I'll say that Jackson is a scholarship athlete now. Gonzalez can maybe get credit in freshman like Douglas being better in year two or you know, not being the WR coach to sign Wilson, Jean and Mizell, but most people who hated him under Mullen pointed to the players he brought in at the position and the state of the room he left. You know, the room that is basically gone now and many are happy about it. Even of the few who stayed, one is now on defense.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
To be fair, those UT teams were legit top teams with great play on both sides of the ball Spurrier was facing. This UT pass D has been awful for a few years. Also, doesn't matter who the QB is if multiple guys are running routes into the same area, throw lane (happened a number of times last season), etc. You can call slants before 3rd and 4th down. Lots of things that can be done that have very little, if any to do with the QB.

The receivers have been pretty good, though I'll say that Jackson is a scholarship athlete now. Gonzalez can maybe get credit in freshman like Douglas being better in year two or you know, not being the WR coach to sign Wilson, Jean and Mizell, but most people who hated him under Mullen pointed to the players he brought in at the position and the state of the room he left. You know, the room that is basically gone now and many are happy about it. Even of the few who stayed, one is now on defense.

So it seems like you fully agree with everything I said. Cool.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Gonzalez was a disappointing hire seemingly necessitated by when the job opening occurred. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on a short leash with Napier and will be encouraged to take another job ala Toney at the first sign of lack of production either at the position or on the recruiting trail. I wouldn't shed any tears if Billy G was forced off to the Cardinals. Allegedly.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Gonzalez was a disappointing hire seemingly necessitated by when the job opening occurred. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on a short leash with Napier and will be encouraged to take another job ala Toney at the first sign of lack of production either at the position or on the recruiting trail. I wouldn't shed any tears if Billy G was forced off to the Cardinals. Allegedly.
Assuming Gonzales, uh, moves on to other opportunities, what about Jacquez Green? Sure it’s a big jump from HS HC to SEC position coach, but it’s not like he’s never been under big lights before.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think Napier is a solid head coach, but he currently doesn't have the schematic advantages on offense that Spurrier and Meyer had over teams when they were winning championships. The overall gameplan was good enough to win this game, but the passing game playbook still needs help. This is not an offensive scheme that is likely to win championships, and it definitely won't break any records or win Heismans. We'll see how Napier adjusts as the season progresses and especially, year 3. Will he rearrange his staff to have a new offensive coordinator or at least a passing game coordinator? Will his playbook evolve?

Those aren't questions we'll really have answers to until next year, but then we'll have a better idea of what kind of long-term success he will have here. I will say that I am very encouraged with how much different the defense looks this year compared to last year. Schematically, the approach of the defense is very different and much improved, so there is an example of something not working, Billy making significant changes, and then having success.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I think Napier is a solid head coach, but he currently doesn't have the schematic advantages on offense that Spurrier and Meyer had over teams when they were winning championships. The overall gameplan was good enough to win this game, but the passing game playbook still needs help. This is not an offensive scheme that is likely to win championships, and it definitely won't break any records or win Heismans. We'll see how Napier adjusts as the season progresses and especially, year 3. Will he rearrange his staff to have a new offensive coordinator or at least a passing game coordinator? Will his playbook evolve?

Those aren't questions we'll really have answers to until next year, but then we'll have a better idea of what kind of long-term success he will have here. I will say that I am very encouraged with how much different the defense looks this year compared to last year. Schematically, the approach of the defense is very different and much improved, so there is an example of something not working, Billy making significant changes, and then having success.
According to the SECN analysts, CBN schematically handed the Vuls their butts last Saturday. At least in the run game.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Would like to be a fly on the wall when Nape says "Ole ball Coach, thank you for meeting with me today to critique my pass scheme and advise me on why and what I need to incorporate to take this offense to the next level."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator