GNFB Film Breakdown UF-UTenn

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Many of y'all seem to be forgetting that EW3 had *6* receptions on the first Gator drive, before he left the game.

Arguably TN didn't stack the box in the 1st half because we came out looking like our game plan was to go pass-heavy, They adjusted at the half, when they had a better view of what we were doing.

What our actual game plan was ... we don't know. Because EW3 left the game so early. We likely made major, unplanned adjustments in the first half. And then Mertz' hand injuries in the second half encouraged us to make even more adjustments towards a conservate run run run approach.

Last edited:

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Not that 3 weeks of data tell a complete picture, but if Uk is even worse at tackling than the vols after the opening 3 opponents they’ve faced, then they’ve taken a serious step back defensively. At least ut has us(mostly MJ and ETN) to blame for their numbers. They also faced Virginia which is at least kind of P5. Uk has faced all G5.
Uva is freaking horrible, particularly on defense and their DB's suck arse. I knew watching UT's struggle early offensively they were overrated. They also played in Nashville with about 90% UT crowd and still struggled.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Many of y'all seem to be forgetting that EW3 had *6* receptions on the first Gator drive, before he left the game.

Arguably TN didn't stack the box in the 1st half because we came out looking like our game plan was to go pass-heavy, They adjusted at the half, when they had a better view of what we were doing.

What our actual game plan was ... we don't know. Because EW3 left the game so early. We likely made major, unplanned adjustments in the first half. And then Mertz' hand injuries in the second half encouraged us to make even more adjustments towards a conservate run run run approach.
Good points.

The longest pass play with Wilson was 12 yards. 6 for 44 yards is hardly stretching the field. (Pearsall wound up 6 for 43 with longest 9 yards, ).

Granted, Wilson appeared to be a much more dynamic player than any other WR (so far) but we still didn't throw down field to him. The offensive play calls were the same (as far as I could tell).

Why continue to play cover 2 like that? Seems like Tenn would have stacked the box after the first scoring drive. Or the second. Major mistake on thier part. (They couldn't tackle for $hit either ... so that didn't help them)

But you're right. We don't know how things would have gone down if Wilson remained healthy and Mertz didn't hurt his hand.

We'll see how the running game fairs against KY. KY will probably stack the box and go zero or cover 1. Who knows ... maybe we'll successfully throw over their heads.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Uva is freaking horrible, particularly on defense and their DB's suck arse. I knew watching UT's struggle early offensively they were overrated. They also played in Nashville with about 90% UT crowd and still struggled.

No I get that. As I said, they’re only sort of P5. But Uk has played exactly no one so far with wins over Ball St, EKU and Akron. For them to have that many missed tackles at this point is not a good sign. Like I said, at least the vols can attribute some of that to our game. They don’t have that luxury. Makes me think Stoops may have focused so much on getting the offense improved that he neglected his traditional strength.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Here’s a stat that I’ve not seen anywhere. The last time tennessee scored a rushing TD against UF in the Swamp was with 8+ minutes left in Q4 of the 2017 game. Three straight games without one, meaning for all the “omg really?” details of this series, they will have gone almost a decade and nearly 190 minutes of football without one by the time they arrive here in 2025.

Side note, that TD by the RB in 2017 was followed by a mock Gator chomp in the end zone. Six years later and they haven’t been back. Lesson for the kids.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I AM CONCERNED!!! "Wellness Check on aisle 4 please!!!!"

So, by now, Ox has usually posted Law's thoughts on the game. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I haven't seen it.

Even more concerning is that he wasn't blowing up my Signal app with rants about Billy ball during or after the game... while I haven't tried to ping him (no need, as soon as I hit "post reply," I'll be DEEPLY disappointed in him if he doesn't hit me up within 26 minutes!), these were the last two things he said:
Law 2.jpg
Law.jpg
I'm worried about him... (not ghey)

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I AM CONCERNED!!! "Wellness Check on aisle 4 please!!!!"

So, by now, Ox has usually posted Law's thoughts on the game. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I haven't seen it.

Even more concerning is that he wasn't blowing up my Signal app with rants about Billy ball during or after the game... while I haven't tried to ping him (no need, as soon as I hit "post reply," I'll be DEEPLY disappointed in him if he doesn't hit me up within 26 minutes!), these were the last two things he said:
View attachment 62083
View attachment 62082
I'm worried about him... (not ghey)
Jake Gyllenhaal Love GIF

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good points.

The longest pass play with Wilson was 12 yards. 6 for 44 yards is hardly stretching the field. (Pearsall wound up 6 for 43 with longest 9 yards, ).

Granted, Wilson appeared to be a much more dynamic player than any other WR (so far) but we still didn't throw down field to him. The offensive play calls were the same (as far as I could tell).

Why continue to play cover 2 like that? Seems like Tenn would have stacked the box after the first scoring drive. Or the second. Major mistake on thier part. (They couldn't tackle for $hit either ... so that didn't help them)

But you're right. We don't know how things would have gone down if Wilson remained healthy and Mertz didn't hurt his hand.

We'll see how the running game fairs against KY. KY will probably stack the box and go zero or cover 1. Who knows ... maybe we'll successfully throw over their heads.
I think UT was more worried about UF's passing game than the run because last year they stuffed the run while getting torched through the air, and Mertz had a 70% completion percentage going into the game. I also think they expected their offense to score more, and that UF would be playing from behind in obvious passing situations most the game.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I think UT was more worried about UF's passing game than the run because last year they stuffed the run while getting torched through the air, and Mertz had a 70% completion percentage going into the game. I also think they expected their offense to score more, and that UF would be playing from behind in obvious passing situations most the game.
Our defense really screwed them up. They weren't expecting it.

Neither was I. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator