Go back to Nov 2017.........

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is a different feel around the program now.... that's all Mullen.
there was a different feel after sharky beats ole Miss also.

I had a differet feeling this morning also after covfefe. Very shartish.

Last edited:

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The issue is people want an experienced coach, but they also want a bonafide recruiter. The bonafide recruiters are all assistants at LSU, UGA, Bama, OSU, Clemson. So it is hard to get both. You either have to take a chance on a guy who has done more with less at a lower school that doesn’t recruit well, or you have to take a chance on an assistant at one of the top recruiting schools.

People called me an idiot for wanting Leach. He’s the other offensive coach outside of Mullen who has a long track record of overachievement at lower tier P5 schools.

Mike Leach
Mark Stoops
Brent Venables
Matt Campbell
Mike Norvell
Scott Frost

The guy who is unquestionably the best P5 coaching candidate if a major job opens up is PJ Fleck, though. He’s the only guy out there who I am confident would be better than Mullen. Leach and Venables would round out #2 and #3 for me.

If Stoops ever comes down to fsu, he will do well. He is a good coach with no real talent.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I wanted Frost and wasn't vested in anyone else. Thought he was the most innovative mind out there for offenses and felt he would have done well here. Taking his assts with him would have been a drawback defensively, but the Ole Miss OC that just lit us up came from UCF, so wouldn't have minded it on that note.

Was against Meyer coming back, and while I didn't hate the idea of Kelly here, I wasn't really gung-ho on the hire (he has no recruiting ties to the area).

Admittedly, was against the Mullen hire--felt we were settling, that he was not a great recruiter, and that he wasn't an elite-level coach, as evidenced by his record vs top-10/25 teams. I'll admit: I was wrong about it and he's won me over. Recruiting could be better, but he's shown us he has the ability to play a big-time opponent with the national spotlight on him and win (LSU in 2018 and Auburn last year were matchups vs top-10 teams at home that he aced)--and doing that every year is what will keep us highly ranked and draw in top recruits.

He deserves his spot and I'm eager to see what he does this year with an elite offense.

As far as who "else" I could see here...I'll second Fleck as a great coach and a pretty decent recruiter too.

Last edited:

AFCatholicGator

Sep 7, 2018
You have to assume I cared enough to remember, but when you see this same thread multiple times a year... it gets old.

And it's SOS... it's always SOS.

Sorry I never saw a response. And wow, if he wanted a 75 year old Spurrier over Mullen there’s no hope for discussion lol. I grew up with SOS and love him but he was 10 years too late by then. Maybe in 2004....MAYBE

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Holy Zot.

While on some levels I feel, entirely from a "shared faith" perspective, to chime in in support of the OP - presumably a fellow Catholic, this thread....

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Since apparently we're going to hold forth on what historically have been offseason topics midseason, look for my compelling, must-read threads on college football realignment, Gator baseball, cleat colors for the football team and how we should expand/contract seating in the Swamp (fully dependent on whether the Asian students ever take to football). I predict they will easily make up all of Ox's lost China virus revenue.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Didn’t we lose to Muschamp-led Usce, Mizzou and fsu in November, 2017 en route to our second no bowl season since the ‘80s? Why exactly do I have to go back end relive that disaster. The season sucked, the coaching search was an embarrassment, and apparently at least one of us here was in the joint. Bad times for Gator Nation.

But, to answer the question, there was no one I was overly thrilled with us getting. Frost and Norvell were both intriguing, but were equally risky as their games head to head featured defenses giving up like 70 points. No way that works here, so they were anything but a slam dunk. Kelly was also an “ok fine” type coach because he didn’t feel like us, I’d seen first hand his destruction of the roster in Philly, and never expected more than a few years before he’d bail, which is not what we needed. I didn’t initially like the Mullen hire, but did think he’d balance things out and we’d return to respectability. My issue was more with what we spent, which was largely due to Mr Mundy’s sudden affinity for Twitter and trying to pretend he had things under control more than he actually did.

As I’ve said numerous times, I’m very happy with the Mullen hire. I’m just also not sure we didn’t luckily fall into it. I don’t want to even think about what would’ve happened if he’d chosen ut while we procrastinated on a plane chasing the wind, and ended up with yet another disaster. And I think we were days, maybe hours away from that, as I’m not even sure what the next name would every been.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I wanted Frost.

Despite lackluster results in Lincoln, I still think he would have been great at UF.

Alex.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Just answer the 2 questions with names of human beings you think we could of hired in 2017. Maybe you are the one that can't read well.
To be fair, Donk may have mentioned Purdue Coach Jeff Brohm - who went 7-6, 6-7, and 4-8 since his first season in 2017.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
To be fair, Donk may have mentioned Purdue Coach Jeff Brohm - who went 7-6, 6-7, and 4-8 since his first season in 2017.

Donk would be content with going 1-11 every year as long as we scored 50 pts and beat Jawja

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont understand why some dumbazzes choose schools like Nebraska or Purdue then are surprised they lose.

I know there was something related to family issues, medical problems, whatever but if you make a P5 HBC salary you can afford a private jet if you aren't already given one by the school.

the good news is he'll be available for Mullins to hire his offensive coordinator soon if Mullins manages to last him more than a year.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Donk would be content with going 1-11 every year as long as we scored 50 pts and beat Jawja
And Clown Town.

let's face it, if you have a pulse, you're going to win 10 games in this SEC East as a Florida coach. Five of the six SEC East schools should be total blowouts, four easy wins with directional schools andnthe Clowntown dumpster fire, and only two of the west teams have a decided talent advantage.

The truth is Mullinz should be paying part of his giant salary to Willy Taggart.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I dont understand why some dumbazzes choose schools like Nebraska or Purdue then are surprised they lose.

I know there was something related to family issues, medical problems, whatever but if you make a P5 HBC salary you can afford a private jet if you aren't already given one by the school.

the good news is he'll be available for Mullins to hire his offensive coordinator soon if Mullins manages to last him more than a year.

Both are understandable, imo. The lure, and pressure, of going home and being the savior was obviously Frost’s predicament. As Ox and others said at the time, I don’t think for a second his brain truly wanted to go to that program in its current shape. He just probably let his heart and cockiness get the best of him.

And with Brohm, I think WKU is small enough that he wasn’t making the move to an elite school off just that resume. His intentions were clearly to try and give himself another few years of success at a larger program and then land a real job. The problem is, outside of that win over OhSt, it just hasn’t gone as planned. Now, he’s in a tricky spot. If he flirts with others every year like Nutt, he’ll have no chance of recruiting being good enough to do much better. If he gets entrenched, he runs the risk of making the mistake Mullen did in Starkville.

But as I said, while I agree that no one is winning big at either location, the moves at that time did make some sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator