Grantham and Hevesy fired

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not disagreeing with your premise that DM must go….but I will say a new staff would have their quickest success with discipline and fundamentals. Putting the right damn players on the field is another easy improvement rather than burying them on the depth chart.

Restocking talent will take more time for sure.
That’s a lot of assumptions. Assuming we return our current guys and talent doesn’t go to the portal. Assuming we gain traction in a reeling recruiting class. Assuming we put the current guys in their proper position and gain talent to fill their improper gaps/holes.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
See post #142 and don’t sleep on Utah. At all.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Lol. Hevesy unfollowed Mullen and had all Gator stuff of the Twitter profile in minutes

It’s just so fitting. These are the types of petty dbags Mullen has voluntarily surrounded himself with. Grantham is even worse, and Billy—depending on which story you believe—either slept with Shelly(plus got choked by Percy) or resigned on a sticky note because he was stepped over for OC.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
That’s a lot of assumptions. Assuming we return our current guys and talent doesn’t go to the portal. Assuming we gain traction in a reeling recruiting class. Assuming we put the current guys in their proper position and gain talent to fill their improper gaps/holes.

I didn’t really make any assumptions. Discipline and fundamentals can be instilled rather easily at all levels of talent. Playing the right guys just means don’t glue a more talented freshman to the bench just so you can play a less talented senior.

And I acknowledged that restocking talent takes longer and is more difficult.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn’t really make any assumptions. Discipline and fundamentals can be instilled rather easily at all levels of talent. Playing the right guys just means don’t glue a more talented freshman to the bench just so you can play a less talented senior.

And I acknowledged that restocking talent takes longer and is more difficult.
I can agree to a point. If I’m not mistaken you’ve coached, a lot. I have as well. I do believe it’s a little harder to break bad habits to learn good ones. We all want the same thing. I just don’t see this as a 180 next year.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I can agree to a point. If I’m not mistaken you’ve coached, a lot. I have as well. I do believe it’s a little harder to break bad habits to learn good ones. We all want the same thing. I just don’t see this as a 180 next year.

We practically did a 180 in 2018. One of the cautions that many here(not me) had at the time was that the roster had always been a 9-10 win roster and Mullen hadn’t done all that much. I tend to agree now because it turns out he wasn’t even the right guy. The right coach should be fine with our roster. I actually think simply a change in scheme could’ve made this current defense great given some of the interiors talent and DBs.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Retired from coaching now but was a high school basketball coach for years and an AAU coach even longer. We won a decent amount of championships and tournaments and at least half of them we were the less talented team. Our reputation was conditioning, discipline and fundamentals and with it knocked out a lot of more talented teams.

But I’m not saying we’re going to be ready to win championships next year. I’m just saying I will fvvcking hate the next coach if we have another team lacking discipline and fundamentals. Beat me because of the talent gap but never beat ourselves. It’s unforgivable.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We practically did a 180 in 2018. One of the cautions that many here(not me) had at the time was that the roster had always been a 9-10 win roster and Mullen hadn’t done all that much. I tend to agree now because it turns out he wasn’t even the right guy. The right coach should be fine with our roster. I actually think simply a change in scheme could’ve made this current defense great given some of the interiors talent and DBs.
I think we’d both agree our talent then and now turning over to a new coach is night & day. This defense isn’t sound and a simple hangs in scheming isn’t going to make it so.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Lol. Hevesy unfollowed Mullen and had all Gator stuff of the Twitter profile in minutes
giphy.gif

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Retired from coaching now but was a high school basketball coach for years and an AAU coach even longer. We won a decent amount of championships and tournaments and at least half of them we were the less talented team. Our reputation was conditioning, discipline and fundamentals and with it knocked out a lot of more talented teams.

But I’m not saying we’re going to be ready to win championships next year. I’m just saying I will fvvcking hate the next coach if we have another team lacking discipline and fundamentals. Beat me because of the talent gap but never beat ourselves. It’s unforgivable.
I completely agree. This current squad lacks conditioning and discipline. After transfers it’s a cluster. It’s 10x. Perhaps the next recruiting wave happens but don’t see significant improvement. A cultural change is needed.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think we’d both agree our talent then and now turning over to a new coach is night & day. This defense isn’t sound and a simple hangs in scheming isn’t going to make it so.

Marshall, Dexter, Lee, Princely, Wingo and others are as good as anything Mullen inherited. There weren’t three 5*s on the entire team in 2018(before portal additions) much less on defense. Several others like Diabate and maybe Burney will be better just based on better scheme and coaching.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I completely agree. This current squad lacks conditioning and discipline. After transfers it’s a cluster. It’s 10x. Perhaps the next recruiting wave happens but don’t see significant improvement. A cultural change is needed.

and it looks like the two men most directly responsible will stay while two coaches who are symptoms of the underlying problem get scapegoated two years late when it means nothing more than half measures now.

getting rid of only two turds from the bowl doesn’t get rid of the guy producing this crap.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Everyone take a deep breath and relax. Numbnuts is not going to be coaching at UF next year. Stricklin is doing damage control and trying to save his own job. Grantham getting let go now is exactly what was expected. Hev probably asked to be cut loose now. Free money while he looks for his next gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.