GSMB watch

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I just thought it would be fun to laugh at the idiots who shut that board down. Their game thread had a whopping 3 posts and 151 views.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You can't screw over a huge population and expect them to just forgive and forget. They'll pick up new members bit by bit, but the old members that carried that board are mostly here now. Their loss, our gain!

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
and I am gone from gatorcountry too. They are way too friendly with rivals.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Those "Warning Points" board on each profile still really gets me. I had an acquaintance once who owned a local sports bar. An insurance company sold him on putting in a breathalyzer machine by the cigarette vending machine to warn patrons if they shouldn't drive. He got a lower rate for installing it. Unfortunately it back fired on him. At $.25 a pop you could administer a self breathalyzer test before you were ready to leave. People started having betting contests to see how high they could blow on the thing and it immediately started making people more irresponsible and more inebriated than usual. He finally had it removed after just two weekends. That reminds me of those "Warning Points" over at GSMB. I'm almost inclined to do the same as those bar patrons just to see how many points I can ring up to get banned in the shortest amount of time.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n43918 said:
Those "Warning Points" board on each profile still really gets me. I had an acquaintance once who owned a local sports bar. An insurance company sold him on putting in a breathalyzer machine by the cigarette vending machine to warn patrons if they shouldn't drive. He got a lower rate for installing it. Unfortunately it back fired on him. At $.25 a pop you could administer a self breathalyzer test before you were ready to leave. People started having betting contests to see how high they could blow on the thing and it immediately started making people more irresponsible and more inebriated than usual. He finally had it removed after just two weekends. That reminds me of those "Warning Points" over at GSMB. I'm almost inclined to do the same as those bar patrons just to see how many points I can ring up to get banned in the shortest amount of time.
I guess they plan on it being a site for children?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Even with the state of the board over there, I thought they'd have a game thread after emailing thousands of members trumpeting their return. 3 posts? That's hard to believe.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n43925 said:
Even with the state of the board over there, I thought they'd have a game thread after emailing thousands of members trumpeting their return. 3 posts? That's hard to believe.

It's not hard for me to believe at all. Nobody likes getting their favorite hang out shut down without notice, and BS excuses given for a reason.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:
If a tree falls in the forest...

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n43925 said:

The people have spoken...or not spoken, whichever is the case.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
:wobble:
GSMB Moderator

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n43925 said:
It's like I wrote earlier today - compare the two boards' game topic/thread to see which board is better. Chatter had 22 pages. GSMB had two POSTS. While I do read the GS' articles (I do like Dooley and Andreu), it's pretty obvious where I'll be for posting on a message board - HERE.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n44030 said:
It's like I wrote earlier today - compare the two boards' game topic/thread to see which board is better. Chatter had 22 pages. GSMB had two POSTS. While I do read the GS' articles (I do like Dooley and Andreu), it's pretty obvious where I'll be for posting on a message board - HERE.

I like Dooley too......

...... lining the bottom of a bird cage.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever the reason was for shutting down GSMB, whether it was the harmless Halifax thread or because they came to view the board as expendable, the Sun obviously miscalculated. All it took was one game day with unusually low traffic to make them realize they'd made a bad mistake. And how can you feel sorry for them? No matter the rationale, they were big-time jerks the way they handled it.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
This is a true transcript of a meeting that happened last Monday at the Sun offices in Gainesville. I can't disclose my source, but it is really, really real.

Date: Monday 9/1/2014

Agenda Item: Message Board

Present : Gator Sports staff writers, interns, IT personnel, and Halifax marketing & advertising team (HM).
Meeting was called to order at 2:14 pm

HM: As many of you know, we killed the GSMB under the pretense of “disruptive posters” in early June. Our corporate overlords demanded that we produce more click through traffic. The corporate overlords have installed a new system, killing old hamster PHPbb and replacing him with NewResponsiveBB. We regret the tragic death of the old hamster. The launch of the new message board begins a new era at Gator Sports.com. The biggest change for all of you is this: From now on the GSMB will have oversight by staff members. One of you will be the administrator and the rest of you will be moderators.

Intern 1: We don’t want to be moderators. It sucks, and everyone will hate us.

HM: But we have made you moderators 'anonymous'. No one can hate you.

Intern 2: But what if I don’t want to engage traffic and build relationships. I’m just a ****ing retard working for the G.S.

HM: Welcome aboard.

Staff Member 1: Do we get overtime for this?

HM: No.

Staff Member 2: I feel like you’re piling a lot on us.

HM: Too f’ing bad. The days of volunteer moderators at Gator Sports Message Board is gone. We need a tighter ship. The sign-up sheet will be posted in the lunch room.

Intern 2: Can we still go to the football games?

HM: Of course! Moderating a message is a part-time, minor part of your day. It need not impinge on the actual enjoyment of Gator sports as a fan.

Intern 1: Can we “check out” of moderating duties if the Gators are playing an away game?

HM: Sure! Moderating a message board is a few minutes a day; you’ll hardly notice the increase in your workload.

Staff Member 1: But what happens if I truly want to engage the Gator fan family and produce a message board with content worthy of them?

HM: :lightningstrike:

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Born2beagator;n43833 said:
I just thought it would be fun to laugh at the idiots who shut that board down. Their game thread had a whopping 3 posts and 151 views.

That is absolutely hilarious...and well deserved...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.