Harsh truths delivered with glee by punk Bianchi

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, that was a scorching read. However, a few weeks ago he was criticizing fans for being disappointed.

I award him no points and may God have mercy on his soul

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I took that mostly as a hit piece on Mac. I guess that mess Mac pulled on them really hit a nerve. I think he is going overboard on fixing things as I think this team could be pretty good in year 2 if we salvage a decent class and get the right coach.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I don't like it, but I am surprised to see others complaining. Apparently, he took the entire column from this board. All of his complaints have been voiced here.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Why does anybody only post the link? Save us all the trouble.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-uab-mike-bianchi-1119-story.html?

A word of advice for Chip Kelly, Scott Frost, Dan Mullen or whoever the poor soul is who inherits the smoldering tire fire that former Florida Gators coach Jim McElwain has left behind:

You better be an offensive genius, a defensive mastermind, a relentless recruiter, a strength and conditioning guru, an exacting disciplinarian and a facilities architect.

In short, you better be a magician and a miracle worker.

Don’t be fooled by Florida’s first win in six weeks on Saturday — a 36-7 victory over upstart UAB — because there’s simply no denying the sad state of Gators football. In less than three years, McElwain has left this once-proud program in the worst shape of any UF coach in the modern era. Worse than Charley Pell, who left the program on NCAAprobation. Worse than Galen Hall, who also left the program on NCAA probation. Worse than Urban Meyer, who admitted the program was “broken” when he resigned to spend more time with his ESPN family.

A case could be made that McElwain leaves behind a program more broken than any time since Doug Dickey was fired in 1978 and Pell inherited a team that promptly went 0-10-1 in his first season.

Will Muschamp, at least, left McElwain a dominating defense that carried the Gators to two SEC East championships before the bottom fell out this season.

Perhaps the most-criticized coach in Gators history — Ron Zook — left behind the nucleus of a team that Urban Meyer won a national title with two years later.

That’s right, Zooker left behind a national championship team; McElwain leaves behind a team that will be fortunate to go to the Birmingham Bowl next season.

UF rolls past UAB 36-7, ending Gators' five-game skid »

The Gators played UAB on Saturday inside a stadium that Steve Spurrier nicknamed “The Swamp” 25 years ago. I was in his office that summer day in 1992 when Spurrier explained to me that “The Swamp is a place where only Gators get out alive.”

A quarter-century later, McElwain has drained the Swamp and the Gators now resemble a bunch of desert lizards — scraggly, parched and gaunt. Florida has depth issues, discipline issues, talent issues, quarterback issues and facilities issues.

Give credit to an announced crowd of 84,649 for actually showing up on Saturday. And bless UF interim coach Randy Shannon for trying to put a happy face on the sad state of affairs. Shannon says the future of the program is “unbelievable” and that the Gators will never be “a second-fiddle” program.

Breaking news: The Gators already are a second-fiddle program.

In today’s college football arms race, UF’s new coach will take over a program that is one of the few in the SEC that doesn’t have a stand-alone football complex. The new coach will have to rebuild a roster by recruiting against the likes of SEC heavyweights such as Nick Saban and Kirby Smart and in-state dynamos such as Jimbo Fisher and Mark Richt.

The Gators played against UAB with 52 scholarship players — 33 below the NCAA limit. Florida has been ravaged by injuries and wrecked by suspensions. Nine players, including star wide receiver Antonio Callaway, have been suspended for the entire season for their part in felonious credit-card theft.

Can you blame the discipline issues on McElwain? You can when he allowed Callaway to remain on the team as a bad influence despite multiple issues involving drugs, sexual-assault allegations and theft.

Can you blame the injury issues on McElwain? You can when he refused to demote strength and conditioning coach Mike Kent, whom many UF insiders say has been an even a bigger flop than offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier. It’s not just coincidence that the two biggest disappointments on McElwain’s staff — Nussmeier and Kent — are two of his best friends and coaches he refused to fire.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

Harsh truth? I would say derivative copying. There was absolutely nothing new in that column. It was just a repeat of various criticism other people made far earlier than him.

GatorShea

Feb 10, 2016
No matter how you slice it, a team one year removed from their conference's championship game is not a "second-fiddle program." He is just being a di ck and is likely no true fan of the Gators.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
No matter how you slice it, a team one year removed from their conference's championship game is not a "second-fiddle program." He is just being a di ck and is likely no true fan of the Gators.

My thought on that part of it was that since he is not the UF beat writer, does he offer up opinions on second fiddle topics or does him writing his column on UF suggest him premise is wrong?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Why aren't these concerns raised while it is going on? Why are we hearing all of this now?

Sometimes the dumpers are just right. Call it like you see it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry but Mizzu and we were second rate programs the years we were designated to watch Alabammer get their championship.trophy.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
It is amazing, isn't it, that Dooley, Andreu, Bianchi, Buddy Martin etc etc, you know, the "adult media" are always out there saying fans are irrational and spoiled and stupid when a coach is on the hot seat, and when the seat inevitably bursts into flames and the move is made, then they spend the next 6 months lamenting the fact that the bum let things get run down to this level, as if this was some sort of stunning revelation to them. Where are these guys during these lost seasons, asking the tough and incisive questions? 2 months ago it was "Leave Mac alone! He's building a program here and won back to back SEC East "titles" what more do you want?" and now its "This bum was the worst coach in the last 40 years, maybe ever." These guys are either UAA lackeys who just regurgitate talking points or are totally incompetent, and I am really tired of these has-been windbags lecturing everyone else about what "real" and "serious" journalism is. /RANT

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
A little late to the party there, Bianchi. That said, he pretty much nails what many here have been saying for the past couple years. Bianchi is the king of 20/20 hindsight bravado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.