Have we covered this? Napier organization

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
After watching this (at least I think it was this one) I have a lot less reservations about Napier calling plays. Everything is so organized. Also I don't recall ever seeing this much transparency.
How does this compare to other coaches?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I listened to that podcast & came away thinking he’s got a great system in place. It probably isn’t very different from others except in the degree of support and accountability. Everyone scouts & self-scouts, everyone plays toward strengths and teaches the game plan. Everyone tries to break tendencies to surprise the opponent.

I also think Mullen came in with a decent plan & momentum. The family culture started well. The chemistry of his staff tanked, the talent dropped as reliance on “we’re Florida” failed, and other pressures like the show-cause cracked it. All of that seems rooted in his personality.

Napier has more and better systems in place. I like the “padding” of plays by players to ingrain lessons, for example. His attention to detail, his devotion to process, personality and charisma remind me of Billy D. Which is great.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Good Lord...one hour and twenty minutes of having to listen to that guy's voice. Is there a cliff notes version where I dont have to listen to him? How did you guys not jump off a cliff from listening to him?

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
I've never been able to watch Gator breakdown..All segments are much too long, audio is bad. Guy is very hard to listen to...

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Good Lord...one hour and twenty minutes of having to listen to that guy's voice. Is there a cliff notes version where I dont have to listen to him? How did you guys not jump off a cliff from listening to him?

I'm right there with ya. Dude sounds like he's got a marble in his mouth and he's trying to talk around it.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I'm right there with ya. Dude sounds like he's got a marble in his mouth and he's trying to talk around it.

And his shows are way too fuchsing long because he always drag stuff out way too long. I bet this particular show could be a total of 20 minutes if they just got on with it.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I do like Will Miles though. He is a voice of reason over on TOS where the pumping is beyond ridiculous right now.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm curious from someone like LtRaz or Cover2 how his system compares to others.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Threat :embarrassed:

The quick answer to me is that he’s finally fleshed out a Florida staff that is comparable, if not quite equal just yet, to the elite CFB programs in terms of both quantity and quality. His emphasis on recruiting has been long overdue and will eventually be an equalizer if not difference maker. With the support staff, just the volume of stats and information that can be disaggregated by the analysts into utile information for game-planning, self-evaluation (game and practice), and recruiting is worlds ahead of where we’ve been, due in large part to the heightened emphasis and attention by the HBC. To the latter point, Napier obviously is not bound to the old myth that Florida recruits itself or the Mullen tenet that he’s smart enough to beat anybody with his lesser roster. It has not hurt that he has added some well-regarded position coaches. We look more like Alabama’s organizational structure than Austin Peay’s. For the first time in a while, optimism outweighs doubt, or it looks that way to me at least.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

The quick answer to me is that he’s finally fleshed out a Florida staff that is comparable, if not quite equal just yet, to the elite CFB programs in terms of both quantity and quality. His emphasis on recruiting has been long overdue and will eventually be an equalizer if not difference maker. With the support staff, just the volume of stats and information that can be disaggregated by the analysts into utile information for game-planning, self-evaluation (game and practice), and recruiting is worlds ahead of where we’ve been, due in large part to the heightened emphasis and attention by the HBC. To the latter point, Napier obviously is not bound to the old myth that Florida recruits itself or the Mullen tenet that he’s smart enough to beat anybody with his lesser roster. It has not hurt that he has added some well-regarded position coaches. We look more like Alabama’s organizational structure than Austin Peay’s. For the first time in a while, optimism outweighs doubt, or it looks that way to me at least.

Cover I have felt that way too, but dang you sure do make me feel optimistic about it. No doubt about it, sheer optimism is ringing loud and clear.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Watch the Austin Peay references, ok.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watch the Austin Peay references, ok.
Didn’t mean to offend, Homer. Just a difference in size reference. Besides, how could I disparage AP who once had NY playground legend Fly Williams on the basketball squad? As I recall, the student body would chant at games “Fly’s Open! Let’s Go Peay!”

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Didn’t mean to offend, Homer. Just a difference in size reference. Besides, how could I disparage AP who once had NY playground legend Fly Williams on the basketball squad? As I recall, the student body would chant at games “Fly’s Open! Let’s Go Peay!”

Somewhere Lake Kelly is smiling.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Nice to know that I am not the only one that remembers James “The Fly” Williams.

Thanks for the flashback Cover.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I enjoyed my time there

1991-95

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Having grown up near Clarksville TN and watching "Fly", I love when his name comes up. I have mentioned this previously but when Fly left APSU, he went to the ABA. The book, Loose Balls is one of the best books I have read and chronicles the ABA and the craziness of that league. The one story that stands out regarding Fly was when he was playing with St.Louis and they were getting blown out in the 4th quarter. So during a timeout the coach says to try and pass the ball and get something positive out of the game to lead into the next game. So Fly being Fly says something to the effect 'Shyt, just give me the Rock, I'll take care of it". Fly was a gunner with the very best of them. But his skills along with his mental acuity were matched closely by the great Marvin Barnes, who once attempted to rob a liquor store wearing his letterman's jacket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator