Helmet to Helmet Hit

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Wow.

I've been watching football for a long time and I have NEVER seen a helmet do that.

This is all over twitter this morning.....

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That **** is going to get a HUGE fine and hopefully suspension for that...and deservedly so. Watching it in real time I didn't think it was going to be that bad but then the replays were shown and you could see he was 100% head hunting on that one

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Was watching the game last night. I was surprised he wasn't thrown out of the game. It was a dirty blatant hit and he should be fined like no other. Thankfully Adams is OK.

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
If you have sons with dreams of playing football, don't let their mother see that video......

g8tr72

Lifetime Member
Jun 8, 2016
Actually, the more I look at that slow-mo video of the helmet "bending," it might be good that it did so that the impact of the hit could be absorbed by the helmet moving. Kinda like a "safer barrier" wall......

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But hey, the equipment is better now, right??

Actually, the more I look at that slow-mo video of the helmet "bending," it might be good that it did so that the impact of the hit could be absorbed by the helmet moving. Kinda like a "safer barrier" wall......
Those old Riddell buckets we used to play in were hard as a rock and the old web suspension did nothing to help absorb the force of the contact. Today's helmets are far, far superior in terms of injury protection, but not 100% efficient by any means. Head up, hat on the ball was always a good technique for not only a sure tackle, but also to minimize injuries to both ball carrier and tackler.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He should be suspended for at least 6 games. Maybe the year. That's willful injury.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
That **** is going to get a HUGE fine and hopefully suspension for that...and deservedly so. Watching it in real time I didn't think it was going to be that bad but then the replays were shown and you could see he was 100% head hunting on that one

You know they actually play the game in real time not slo-mo? You do understand they were playing tackle football? Perhaps you should have stayed with your real time conclusion?

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You know they actually play the game in real time not slo-mo? You do understand they were playing tackle football? Perhaps you should have stayed with your real time conclusion?
Are you kidding? Did you watch all the replays as well during the game? That was intentional

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Of course he intentionally hit him, that is why I wondered if you understood they were playing TACKLE football.
So you think targeting the head of a player that is being held up by another player is just playing tackle football?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So you think targeting the head of a player that is being held up by another player is just playing tackle football?

I am not sure he "targeted anything. The game as I also said was being played in real time. The second tackler came upon a situation where his teammate had a guy who was not going down. The second tackler had to to hit the opponent not his own guy to help. So he did.

If you think this is a problem then the solutions are:

1. Have the officials blow the whistle when the first guy wraps up the ball carrier EVEN IF HE IS STILL GOING FORWARD AND MARK THE SPOT WHERE HE WAS WHEN THE WHISTLE BLEW. That is the NFL's possible fix.

2. Have your players go down when wrapped up. That is the coaching solution.

The non solution which the NFL has adopted is to blame the tackler when an offensive player ducks his head, won't go down, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.