Help purchasing a good camera

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Looking to upgrade to a mirrorless camera, all within an itty bitty budget.
Does anyone here dabble in photography and could provide some advice? I know enough to be dangerous.
Do you have something you love or could recommend? Price is a major factor as I'd like to be around $1200 or less with a good zoom lens. The iPhone does a good job at short distances and is waterproof so this will be for wildlife and landscapes at a distance.

Last edited:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I use a Samsung cellphone camera. It took some very nice pics of the sunset when I was in Hawaii back in March. Seeing how the Sun is roughly 186,000 miles from earth I would say that it takes GREAT pics at long distances...

:stickpoke:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I use a Samsung cellphone camera. It took some very nice pics of the sunset when I was in Hawaii back in March. Seeing how the Sun is roughly 186,000 miles from earth I would say that it takes GREAT pics at long distances...

:stickpoke:
Or "roughly" 93,000,000 miles from earth but who's counting? Oh that's right, a Bama fan.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Or "roughly" 93,000,000 miles from earth but who's counting? Oh that's right, a Bama fan.
haha, you're right. My apologies for confusing the speed of light for the distance from earth to the Sun. But, that also gives more credibility to using my cellphone... :lol2:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
If you want the most bang for your buck in terms of fun and creativity, think about a Fujifilm X-T3 (no longer manufactured but widely available used in good shape) and a used Fujinon 70-300 mm zoom. The X-T3 doesn't have image stabilization, but the lens does, offering some handheld shooting potential.

It's an APS-C system, but it's much lighter than a full frame, less expensive, and unless you want massive prints and plan to be shooting in low light (not likely if you want to use a telephoto zoom lens), you don't want the weight of full frame gear.

And the Fujifilm ecosystem is absolutely amazing. Do the research and you'll see. Fuji makes smaller bodies than the XT3, but with a zoom lens, you get better balance for steadier shooting with a bigger camera body. It may be a challenge to come in under your budget, but if you're willing to stretch it a little, around $1400-1500 will be enough.

If $1200 is your limit, look for an X-T2 in good shape.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
If you want the most bang for your buck in terms of fun and creativity, think about a Fujifilm X-T3 (no longer manufactured but widely available used in good shape) and a used Fujinon 70-300 mm zoom. The X-T3 doesn't have image stabilization, but the lens does, offering some handheld shooting potential.

It's an APS-C system, but it's much lighter than a full frame, less expensive, and unless you want massive prints and plan to be shooting in low light (not likely if you want to use a telephoto zoom lens), you don't want the weight of full frame gear.

And the Fujifilm ecosystem is absolutely amazing. Do the research and you'll see. Fuji makes smaller bodies than the XT3, but with a zoom lens, you get better balance for steadier shooting with a bigger camera body. It may be a challenge to come in under your budget, but if you're willing to stretch it a little, around $1400-1500 will be enough.

Thank you very much - I’ll definitely check them out. I really appreciate the insight.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Looking to upgrade to a mirrorless camera, all within an itty bitty budget.
Does anyone here dabble in photography and could provide some advice? I know enough to be dangerous.
Do you have something you love or could recommend? Price is a major factor as I'd like to be around $1200 or less with a good zoom lens. The iPhone does a good job at short distances and is waterproof so this will be for wildlife and landscapes at a distance.

I’ll take time out of my day to give you some suggestions a little later. But first, how did Seedy’s boss like the gin I recommended? Oh, that’s right…

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I’ll take time out of my day to give you some suggestions a little later. But first, how did Seedy’s boss like the gin I recommended? Oh, that’s right…
Seedy's boss will receive it next week.

Looking forward to the suggestions. I know you're a busy man.

Happy Clapping GIF by Ryn Dean

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

I find myself going back to the familiarity of the Canon body since our Best Buy carries so few in stock. It would be nice to hold a Fuji but I can't think of any local places that have them. I have an older, heavier, Canon SLR and have been looking at the newly released (2023) EOS R50. Full frame and uses the new R series lenses. With an adapter it will take the EF lenses. Since we will keep the camera for a long time, I'm trying to get new technology but it's difficult to stay under $1500.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Seedy's boss will receive it next week.

Looking forward to the suggestions. I know you're a busy man.

Happy Clapping GIF by Ryn Dean

But you went a complete 180 on my recco. I get that a person with the word “alcohol” built into their screen name carrie’s some cred when it comes to booze, but I felt betrayed. Anyway, maybe a poster named @photographa will show up and assist further.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I find myself going back to the familiarity of the Canon body since our Best Buy carries so few in stock. It would be nice to hold a Fuji but I can't think of any local places that have them. I have an older, heavier, Canon SLR and have been looking at the newly released (2023) EOS R50. Full frame and uses the new R series lenses. With an adapter it will take the EF lenses. Since we will keep the camera for a long time, I'm trying to get new technology but it's difficult to stay under $1500.
If you already have lenses you want to keep using, that changes everything. I'm a hoarder. I can't sell anything.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
But you went a complete 180 on my recco. I get that a person with the word “alcohol” built into their screen name carrie’s some cred when it comes to booze, but I felt betrayed. Anyway, maybe a poster named @photographa will show up and assist further.
I get that you felt slighted but the advantage went to the local gin for an out of state recipient. Next time, do better.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
If you already have lenses you want to keep using, that changes everything. I'm a hoarder. I can't sell anything.
I had a terrific zoom lens for a short time that Seedy gave me as a gift. I left the backpack unzipped and seedy slung it across his shoulder and the lens went flying out. Cringe . We don’t talk about that anymore.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

I'm having a hard time filling all my wishes into that price tag but I keep trying. I might have to give up on the idea of either a full frame or the newest technology.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I'm having a hard time filling all my wishes into that price tag but I keep trying. I might have to give up on the idea of either a full frame or the newest technology.
Is 300 mm less reach than you are looking for? Remember, 300 mm on an APS-C sensor is equal to 450 mm on a full frame sensor. Also, a 2x teleconverter would stretch that to 900 mm full frame equivalent. And that can be had for way cheaper and lighter than a bigger lens.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Is 300 mm less reach than you are looking for? Remember, 300 mm on an APS-C sensor is equal to 450 mm on a full frame sensor. Also, a 2x teleconverter would stretch that to 900 mm full frame equivalent. And that can be had for way cheaper and lighter than a bigger lens.
Good info. Thanks.

Are you familiar with the Nikon Z5? BH has it for under $1000 right now and Tamron has 3rd party lenses for it. I’d like to try a full frame.

Last edited:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Good info. Thanks.

Are you familiar with the Nikon Z5? BH has it for under $1000 right now and Tamron has 3rd party lenses for it. I’d like to try a full frame.
It's a full frame with in-body image stabilization. That's a good setup for moving subjects and low light, such as animals in trees and in shadows on the ground. And a great price. I'm going to take a look myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.