Ho Hum... Another 3 Star

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's see if there is broad agreement on a few points.
1) On average, 5 stars are more productive than 3 stars.
2) At corner back stars may matter a little more than on the O-line.
3) That said, Mac has demonstrated an ability to evaluate FB players (Callawy and Cronkrite), and some 3 star recruits look promising.
4) Mac stressesTEAM above all and his success with this concept would justify occasionally passing on a 5 star.
5) Mac closed strong last year and may do so again, so we should feel good about where we are.

Who is buying?
Callaway and Cronkrite are both listed as 4* on Rivals. I don't know if they were given the 4th star late in the process of not.

Your points are pretty solid though

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Callaway and Cronkrite are both listed as 4* on Rivals. I don't know if they were given the 4th star late in the process of not.

Your points are pretty solid though
Yeah, but I didn't think either was considered a hot recruit like Scarlett and I didn't hear much about Muschamp recruiting them. Just thought Mac did well to identify them and go after them.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't I read somewhere in the past that a team can only have a maximum of 25 per class? I know EEs count against the previous year, and I assume we'll have a few of those, what else counts for or against a given year's numbers?
you got it right, but it looks like we may be looking at 6+ EE's. So I assume we'll take close to the max if we can get them. I don't see Mac filling the rest with anything but 4 and 5* kids.

That's great that we're having so many early enrollees. We will be able to roll those schollies back to the 2015 class.

Here's some info on oversigning.

NCAA Bylaw 15.5.6.1 limits FBS football programs to a total number of scholarships to 85 "counters" annually including 25 scholarships for "initial counters." Counters (NCAA Bylaw 15.02.3) are individuals who are receiving institutional financial aid that is countable against the aid limitations in a sport, initial counters (NCAA Bylaw 15.02.3.1) are individuals who are receiving countable financial aid in a sport for the first time. Bylaw 13.9.2.3 limits schools to signing 28 NLI from initial signing day through May 31.[1]

Oversigning can occur in two ways. First, if a school signs a number of NLI that may bring their total number of counters above the NCAA limit of 85. Second would be to sign more than 25 NLI during the period between National Signing Day and May 31.

NCAA rules permit oversigning up to 28 NLI, though some college football fans view oversigning as unethical, arguing that it requires schools and coaches to be dishonest with young adult and adolescent recruits by promising them a roster spot and scholarship only to pull it before the person graduates or even makes the team.[4]

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And here is information on over signing in the SEC. The evidence against Saban is staggering. Click the SEC tab. I tried to cut and paste but it was too many characters…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oversigning

The result of scholarship manipulation in the SEC West lead to the following:

In June 2011, the SEC presidents and chancellors unanimously passed a new conference rule that prohibits teams from signing more than 25 players to National Letter of Intent from December 1 through May 31. The league's coaches unanimously voted the day before to recommend maintaining the limit of 28.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't

I don't know if we'll get THAT many FIVE stars but I'd dang sure be happy. I see us signing a couple of 5 stars (maybe 3 if things really go right in recruiting) and several very high 4 stars (including Franks, Mac's coveted QB for this cycle). I also expect 2 or 3 of our current 3 stars to "de-commit" after getting a similar "Look son" speech that you were referring to. I think we'll end up with a class of around 28 or 29, maybe a couple more depending on early enrollees.
I think we do a little better than two or three 5 stars. Heck we did that last year after Mac had less time than what he has now.....plus he didn't have a 10 win season under his belt either. I do believe in his ability to filter out some ineffective 2nd and 3rd year guys that are taking up space of those incoming guys who want to be coached up....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let's see if there is broad agreement on a few points.
1) On average, 5 stars are more productive than 3 stars.
2) At corner back stars may matter a little more than on the O-line.
3) That said, Mac has demonstrated an ability to evaluate FB players (Callawy and Cronkrite), and some 3 star recruits look promising.
4) Mac stressesTEAM above all and his success with this concept would justify occasionally passing on a 5 star.
5) Mac closed strong last year and may do so again, so we should feel good about where we are.

Who is buying?
I buy it all, except that Callaway and Cronkite weren't 3 stars. That keeps being repeated despite it being proven false about a thousand times.

With OL and DT especially, 3 star guys are fine. The recruiting services tend to love the guys who jump high or run fast and pay less love to the strong guys. I'll take the strong guys. Bammer has made a living with them.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So yes, I see J & Law's point about the 3* CB.
Law really isn't upset about this 3 star. I haven't seen a bit of video on him. It's more of the fact that I expect us to be in on more top players at this point given what Mac has done. I'd also hope we aren't taking projects still.

Of course, Mac turned it around from an unimaginable level of total shiiit last year to a below average but at least enough to function class. Let's hope he has more magic tricks here. We need more than some Kintucky level mid teens class though. We need some real game-changers at several positions.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Solid post. Too many 5 stars lead to ego and locker room issues.
Maybe, maybe not. If you have enough that you can bench the primadonna if you have enough talent behind him. If you have a bunch of 3 stars, half them aren't even good enough to be anything but fodder for the kick coverage team (no offense SAS), then you are stuck with primadonnas no matter how many stars they had.

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe, maybe not. If you have enough that you can bench the primadonna if you have enough talent behind him or her. If you have a bunch of 3 stars, half them aren't even good enough to be anything but fodder for the kick coverage team (no offense SAS), then you are stuck with primadonnas no matter how many stars they had.

Maybe it's because UM doesn't know how to handle 5 star kids. So I'm a bit jaded about having too many of them. Then again Alabama does just fine with a ridiculous amount of them.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Maybe it's because UM doesn't know how to handle 5 star kids. So I'm a bit jaded about having too many of them. Then again Alabama does just fine with a ridiculous amount of them.
Yes, it would be a nice problem to have too many 5 stars. A good coach can handle their egos.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I buy it all, except that Callaway and Cronkite weren't 3 stars. That keeps being repeated despite it being proven false about a thousand times.

With OL and DT especially, 3 star guys are fine. The recruiting services tend to love the guys who jump high or run fast and pay less love to the strong guys. I'll take the strong guys. Bammer has made a living with them.
Please read what I wrote. I merely used Callaway's and Cronkrite as ex amples of Mac's ability to identify talent. I knew they were four stars. Around signing day all the talk was about Ivey, CE CE, and flipping Scarlett. Mac saw talent. I find the question of what makes an outstanding one to be fascinating. Those boys have the it factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator