How do we fix the offense?

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I've noticed a huge problem the past couple weeks. Teams have gameplanned Treon perfectly. I know it was Grier in the Ole Miss game but we had run the bunch formation quick toss plays quite a bit with a fair amount of success. When We ran that same formation but it was a PA roll out pass it was wide open. LSU started to pick up on the roll outs and then it has quite frankly become disturbing the past two weeks. Both UGA and Vandy were all over Treon on every single roll out. Opposing defenses are simply running QB contain with their DE's and Treon has zero chance to get outside of the pocket.

So we know Treon can't see or throw from the pocket, heck he can't even execute a swing pass anymore. The only thing that I think could potentially save this offense is starting to run some zone read plays and QB draws up the middle which then open up some quick one read play action passes for Treon. Of course this increases Treon's injury chances significantly.

So my question is this. Do we continue with our basic offensive scheme and hope we can ride our defense to a championship, or do we bet the house and start calling significantly more runs for Treon?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well what is the drop off (limited play book) behind Treon? I imagine it is pretty steep.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Start calling more quick hitting pass plays. Our line can't protect long enough for Treon to go through any kind of progression, and Treon pretty much isn't capable of going through a progression anyway. More screens would keep defenses honest, but I feel like a broken record saying that every single year. Aside from that, we just need the offensive line to get healthy again.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
How do quick-hits solve the "shorty can't see" problem ? or Treon's over-worry that arms-up may block his throw.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n309377 said:
Tell Morgan & Morgan to hurry the **** up....
^^^^This! Treon gets worse with each start and now he's starting to look like Driskel 2.0. Sh*ts Pathetic!!!!!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n309384 said:
How do quick-hits solve the "shorty can't see" problem ? or Treon's over-worry that arms-up may block his throw.

Well, if he's throwing quick routes to the outside of the formation, he doesn't need to see over the line, does he?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Marianna said:
^^^^This! Treon gets worse with each start and now he's starting to look like Driskel 2.0. Sh*ts Pathetic!!!!!

Agreed, teams have learned they only have to defend one side of the field and if they rush someone the corner it will disrupt the timing of the play.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n309394 said:
Agreed, teams have learned they only have to defend one side of the field and if they rush someone the corner it will disrupt the timing of the play.
Yep...whenever Vandy shuts the offense down,we're in big trouble!

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
It was obvious at the game they were simply shadowing Treon until he rolled out, leaving nothing for him. They knew he wouldn't throw out of the pocket. They just had to wait for him to make the inevitable rollout once he flees the pocket and then close in. Same as Georgia really, without the few big plays.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
That is true, but the process is what will determine the results over time. I am not saying I predicted what happened against Vandy, but this has been in the making for some time especially on offense. Now you can't blame the coaches for the onfield turnovers, but a handful of things have been obvious over the last month especially with Harris at QB. The play calling has been dreadful. 11 of 13 possessions reach Vandy territory and yields 9 points. DRob continues to carry the ball like a loaf of bread. Harris fumbles b/c he had the ball in the incorrect hand. Those things are attention to detail. The play calling is doing nothing to help Harris. The O-line sux and Harris sux in the pocket, yet they continue to try that. They don;t need trick plays, they need to be less predictable. If I know what they are going to call almost before they break the huddle you know the opponent knows. The attention to detail has been poor the last 2 weeks and the play calling has been no friend to Harris. Again, Harris is not that good, but more zone read, more bootleg off hard play action on early downs, etc. is needed. Harris can't continue to make plays on broken scrambles. He needs help so he can use his legs on designed play calls. And can we use the TE a little? That would help Harris. And with such an awful O-line how about more screens or perhaps isolating a RB on a LB on a designed route, whcih we never do.

I agree with you Swamped. This was my post in another thread from Saturday afternoon above.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;309376 said:
Start calling more quick hitting pass plays. Our line can't protect long enough for Treon to go through any kind of progression, and Treon pretty much isn't capable of going through a progression anyway. More screens would keep defenses honest, but I feel like a broken record saying that every single year. Aside from that, we just need the offensive line to get healthy again.

Yep. I agree. They were absolutely crushing our line with three man rushes. Pitiful. But even when he has time he can't hit a pass. Quick plays with hot routes and maybe shovel passes to open up the running game may be the best thing for our offense.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
… so can we bring back the "jump-pass"? = QB lift assist ?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I really don't think we can fix it. The only real fix would come from the o-line getting better in the run game. That would open up playaction. Beyond that, just get used to mediocre quarterback play.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
punt on first down and go for the defensive turnover score

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The problems with our O line and QB are obvious. One thing that would help prevent games like the one against Vandy from turning into heart attacks in waiting is the damn kicking game. How many points did we leave on the field simply because we don't even have a sub par kicking game? Is there a team in the entire country with a worse kicking situation?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;309432 said:
The problems with our O line and QB are obvious. One thing that would help prevent games like the one against Vandy from turning into heart attacks in waiting is the damn kicking game. How many points did we leave on the field simply because we don't even have a sub par kicking game? Is there a team in the entire country with a worse kicking situation?

I'm never seen one at any level of play.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We can't even kick extra points for pete's sake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator