How do we fix the offense?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Yesterday was the first time all season that feeling of complete hopelessness overcame me as I watched our offense. We have had lull spots for a quarter or 2 in most games this year but I never lost complete hope as I did against Vandy....USCe seems to be playing better since SOS retired and I believe unless our coaches change the game plan this game won't be fun to watch and we could possibly lose. We've got to where we are now with what we've been doing but we really need to let Harris run more on 1st and 2nd down to reopen the rollouts that worked against LSU. Throwback screens would be nice to see also. We've won the East now we've got to do whatever it takes to get to 10 or more wins.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just saw a stat, yesterday was the first game we won scoring less than 10 points since 1968

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
I haven't figured out why we aren't calling quicker passes, it seems like every time Treon drops back he's standing around for 6+ seconds before he throws or leaves the pocket. Maybe he's been just plain bad at quick slants and such in practice so they're not making it to the games. I was also shocked to see that we didn't run one screen yesterday, I thought that was what Mac was known for especially with the way Vandy was bringing the heat. The fake toss roll out has been snuffed out since the LSU game but isn't something we should stop doing. I think we aren't running Treon as much because we don't have the depth since Grier got suspended. I thought we were running the ball well to start the game yesterday but a few turnovers and Vandy settling down on defense stopped that pretty quick. The turnovers really did us in yesterday, we were lucky to pull it out. You know Mac is going to have them working on ball security this week.

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I think Mac is getting all the juice he can from the Treon squeeze. We need to be over the moon we won the East. Our next worty goal is beat fsux and try not to get embarrassed by bummer in Atlanta

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some good replies in this thread, but, honestly, I don't think there's any "saving" this offense between now and the end of the season beyond takeaways from the defense.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:rotfl: So, let me get this straight, we have 20 hours of of practice a week, about half of which is film study of the other team and 1/3 of the remainder is STs. So during those, at best, 10 hours with the kids who have been unable to pickup the blocking schemes weve been practicing since March, half of whom are backups now forced to play due to injuries, YOU DUMB MOTHAEFFERS THINK WE SHOULD TRY TO INSTALL AN OPTION READ OFFENSE?

Those posts should be nominated for dumbest shiiit ever posted on the internet.

It s a GD moronathon in here. NO OFFENSE WORKS WITH 3 freshmen on the OL. Now STFU and be glad Mac has been able to cobble together what we have. This was a year in which we were underdogs in 7 GC games and picked to finish 5th. Cant you people be happy and with the understanding that Mac will fix it?

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Law98gator;n309482 said:
:rotfl: So, let me get this straight, we have 20 hours of of practice a week, about half of which is film study of the other team and 1/3 of the remainder is STs. So during those, at best, 10 hours with the kids who have been unable to pickup the blocking schemes weve been practicing since March, half of whom are backups now forced to play due to injuries, YOU DUMB MOTHAEFFERS THINK WE SHOULD TRY TO INSTALL AN OPTION READ OFFENSE?

Those posts should be nominated for dumbest shiiit ever posted on the internet.

It s a GD moronathon in here. NO OFFENSE WORKS WITH 3 freshmen on the OL. Now STFU and be glad Mac has been able to cobble together what we have. This was a year in which we were underdogs in 7 GC games and picked to finish 5th. Cant you people be happy and with the understanding that Mac will fix it?

Seems like I recall UF vs Bama SEC championship, 2009, Bama (ala McElwain) came out for the first one or two series and ran a spread option package that they hadn't run all year. Complete caught the Gators off guard. It can be done, to a limited degree.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gator87;n309446 said:
Just saw a stat, yesterday was the first game we won scoring less than 10 points since 1968
We beat Tinerc 9-7 last year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Please stick w being wrong in the political forum. Even suggesting something as stupid as this shows utter ignorance of football. There was never any doubt in anyones mind that you have done anything athletic in your life though.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The oline struggles enough blocking for our RBs. More qb runs may be a short term fix for a game but not for the season. It would be nice if we could throw more screens and quick passes, but Treon's accuracy is so poor he struggles with completing a simple screen pass. And he also holds on to the ball for too long so there goes the quick passing game. He needs to start trusting in himself, his receivers, and his coaches so his game will improve. The crossing routes actually worked yesterday. I think they should use more of those and find more ways to get the TE's involved. Maybe try more dump off plays to RB's if Treon can get the ball to them. If he can complete some short stuff that will open up the deeper throws.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Law98gator;n309497 said:
Please stick w being wrong in the political forum. Even suggesting something as stupid as this shows utter ignorance of football. There was never any doubt in anyones mind that you have done anything athletic in your life though.

WTF is wrong with you? Shouting and acting like a jack ass doesn't make you smarter.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I agree with those who say we probably aren't going to get a lot more out of Treon, especially when our Oline is so bad that we can't even muster a running attack. About the only thing you can do is try to put Treon in a situation where he makes a few big plays, either passing or on his feet. Going conservative with Treon won't get you anywhere. Grier was effective at quickly hitting short and intermediate range passes. Treon is most effective when he is doing it with it his feet or chucking it down field up for grabs.

A limited spread option package may offer a nice change up, but I am skeptical it will amount to much with this offensive line.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
FireFoley;309404 said:
That is true, but the process is what will determine the results over time. I am not saying I predicted what happened against Vandy, but this has been in the making for some time especially on offense. Now you can't blame the coaches for the onfield turnovers, but a handful of things have been obvious over the last month especially with Harris at QB. The play calling has been dreadful. 11 of 13 possessions reach Vandy territory and yields 9 points. DRob continues to carry the ball like a loaf of bread. Harris fumbles b/c he had the ball in the incorrect hand. Those things are attention to detail. The play calling is doing nothing to help Harris. The O-line sux and Harris sux in the pocket, yet they continue to try that. They don;t need trick plays, they need to be less predictable. If I know what they are going to call almost before they break the huddle you know the opponent knows. The attention to detail has been poor the last 2 weeks and the play calling has been no friend to Harris. Again, Harris is not that good, but more zone read, more bootleg off hard play action on early downs, etc. is needed. Harris can't continue to make plays on broken scrambles. He needs help so he can use his legs on designed play calls. And can we use the TE a little? That would help Harris. And with such an awful O-line how about more screens or perhaps isolating a RB on a LB on a designed route, whcih we never do.

I agree with you Swamped. This was my post in another thread from Saturday afternoon above.
It's hard to call out the play-calling for our woes because a QB only knows 10% of the playbook and can't execute the other 90% or because others fumble the ball. That's player execution or lack thereof, not coaching.

What I see are coaches trying every way they can to run the plays that Treon CAN operate and be creative with it while also sprinkling in other plays he's not as good at so as not to be predictable. It's probably a nightmare for the coaches. Many times TH had more than 3 sec to throw before running out because the one guy he focused on wasn't open.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
G8RNGA;n309575 said:
It's hard to call out the play-calling for our woes because a QB only knows 10% of the playbook and can't execute the other 90% or because others fumble the ball. That's player execution or lack thereof, not coaching.

What I see are coaches trying every way they can to run the plays that Treon CAN operate and be creative with it while also sprinkling in other plays he's not as good at so as not to be predictable. It's probably a nightmare for the coaches. Many times TH had more than 3 sec to throw before running out because the one guy he focused on wasn't open.

From what I have seen McElwain is one of the most creative in play calling and one of the best at adapting the scheme to the talents on the field. I would say the current play calling reflects the limited deck the coaches are dealing with. The notion championed by some in here that McElwain has all of a sudden gone dumb and can't call plays or can't scheme is retarded.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm certainly not a football genius. It does seem to make sense that we need to change something. However, it doesn't make sense to install a new offense. The only thing I could come up with is commit to the run. Spend the week getting in the OLine's head to be physical and decisive. To mentally prepare to attack physically. Maybe that would get uspast USCe. Pound the ball and mix in some timely passes. Not that it'd be easy, but maybe with a run first mindset, the OLine would play well enough to win.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The HBC and his staff are doing a great job. How do we "fix" the offense? Patience, recruiting, coaching and experience.
The coaches and players have already accomplished far more than I would have thought possible. The future is bright. (just close your eyes during the SECCG)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
jdh5484;n309586 said:
The HBC and his staff are doing a great job. How do we "fix" the offense? Patience, recruiting, coaching and experience.
The coaches and players have already accomplished far more than I would have thought possible. The future is bright. (just close your eyes during the SECCG)

How can you only have 27 posts in a year and a half? :dunno:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n309482 said:
Now STFU and be glad Mac has been able to cobble together what we have. This was a year in which we were underdogs in 7 GC games and picked to finish 5th. Cant you people be happy and with the understanding that Mac will fix it?
Aren't you the guy that trashed all the coaching hires all summer and predicted us to win FOUR games?

Some of the finger-wagging coming from you I just can't ignore. If anyone was dead wrong about everything, it was you. You're still my favorite poster, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator