How do we look at DT next year?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'll be shocked if Riles isnt permanently moves. Buchanan should also get a look.
who's doing better...Buchanan or Sandifer?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just looking at game film from high school, Big Stone played with most edge.... well, he and McCoy but McCoy is going nowhere. You look for that mean streak for a DL.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bama has no problem bulking their players up with whatever they are giving them.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Andrew Mike probably never makes the OL rotation. I'd move him to defense too.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
I guess we're giving up on having 290lb DT that run like linebackers like Easley or say Mcdonald I could go on but I guess we're all happy with 5.3 olineman playing the position, times have changed.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE="Gator2222" ]It could be better, but it's not what I would call a glaring weakness either.
The Pump is strong in this one.[/QUOTE]

Good for him! He has an opinion and doesn't care what the Negators think.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
In my opinion we ideally want 6-10 players that are 280 - 300.

We currently have (I'm not counting Caleb Brantley as he will almost certainly go pro)

4 * Khairi Clark R-So 6-2 319
3* Taven Bryan R-So 6-5 293
3* Jachai Polite Fr 6-2 271

Polite was a freshman this year and should have no problem putting on some weight as a sophomore.

We also have

3* Antonio Riles R-JR 6-4 313

Riles came to Florida as a DL and was switched to OL. I think the coaching staff will move him back to his natural position in the spring or fall.

That would account for 4 appropriately sized DTs on the current roster.

We currently have a commit from

3* Kyree Campbell 6-4 320

We are heavily favored to sign

4* Tedarrell Slaton 6-4 360
3* Tyrone Truesdell 6-3 325

If we sign the players we are favored to sign that would make next season's DTs:

4* Tedarrell Slaton Fr 6-4 360
3* Tyrone Truesdell Fr 6-3 325
3* Kyree Campbell Jr? 6-4 320
4 * Khairi Clark R-So 6-2 319
3* Antonio Riles R-Jr 6-4 313
3* Taven Bryan R-So 6-5 293
3* Jachai Polite Fr 6-2 271

That would give us 7 DTs all of which will probably either be 300 or just below in the fall. It could be better, but it's not what I would call a glaring weakness either.

Freshman DTs don't come in and play. It just doesn't happen. That's why we needed at least one or two JUCOs.

You are going on the assumption that one of our OL will become one of our larger DL. I'm just going on what's currently the state of the position.

DT is a physical position and it's highly unlikely he that somebody will remain healthy throughout the entire year if they play significantly. If Clark is hurt, we will have ZERO lineman over 300 pounds.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Freshman DTs don't come in and play. It just doesn't happen. That's why we needed at least one or two JUCOs.

You are going on the assumption that one of our OL will become one of our larger DL. I'm just going on what's currently the state of the position.

DT is a physical position and it's highly unlikely he that somebody will remain healthy throughout the entire year if they play significantly. If Clark is hurt, we will have ZERO lineman over 300 pounds.
It's also highly unlikely that offensive lineman who aren't good enough to get on the field despite our poor offensive line play, are going to be impact players if moved to DT.

There's probably 100 different scenarios we could come up with to address the issue at DT without recruiting any more bodies, but the same can be done on any other team... and yet, good teams are always recruiting as opposed to those other scenarios. I wonder why? :scratchchin:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I guess we're giving up on having 290lb DT that run like linebackers like Easley or say Mcdonald I could go on but I guess we're all happy with 5.3 olineman playing the position, times have changed.
When we had Easly, Hunter and Floyd we mostly went 3 down and McCray played stand up....All 3 were 290 and over....Would you rather have a 290# DT chasing a RB while fighting off at least 1 blocker sometimes 2, or would you rather have a 250# LB with a clear shot at the RB or QB when coming hot on a blitz. Watch Bama's defense, their down linemen are good enough to take on 1 or sometimes 2 offensive linemen and still get some glory, but for the most part their LBer's clean up because of the big dudes playing in front of them. It also is a better way to put pressure on the QB because the blitz can come from 3 or 4 different directions not tipping off the QB where the pressure is coming like using a designated "speed rusher" like Muschamp like to do....Strong was primarily a 4-3 guy which worked well at the time, 10-15 years ago,. It's harder to disguise your defense when playing a 4-3 and you better have top level DB's when the good offenses come to town....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Most likely those 2 would be better off. I wonder if Sandifer could also make the switch...

Crete, I'm not sure about Sandifer either. I just know, if we don't move AT LEAST one of the OL's (most likely Riles) we'll be in trouble. There's no reason not to double train at least 1 more....maybe even 2 - if there are injuries during the season. Even if Sandifer and/or Buchanan played just 8-10 snaps a game it would help w/ depth. When we get a running team trying to ram the ball down our throat we need a solid group of DT's.

I noticed in the game Monday that we played 3 DT's quite often (combination of Brantley, Ivie, Clark, and/or Bryan).

I also think we'll see Bryan at or above 300 (he's gotten bigger every year). We'll see Polite over 280, which is good for a SSDE and 3rd and long type DT (along w/ Jefferson, who I suspect will be over 270).

The addition of a 3rd/4th year player in Riles vs. an 18 year old 1st year CFB player at DT will be huge. The freshman will play, but let's not rely on them.

Adding Buchanan - at 6'2 305-ish - would be a huge help along the DL.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

This......
I can't think of one true freshmen who has come in and had any sort of impact at DT/NT.....Even as 5 star studs like Easly, Floyd, Hunter and Brantley were pretty much lost during their freshmen seasons and got very few meaningful reps.....I can't even think of anyone at ANY program who has made an impact on the interior defensive line....closest one would be that kid from Houston this year and Houston ain't the SEC.....a whole lot of difference battling high school weaklings and 300-325#ers who have been in a CFB weight room for 2 or 3 years.

Anyone remember when FSU got both Eddie Goldman and Mario Edwards in the same year? The 2 highest rated DT's in that cycle, both over 300#, both ranked top 10 overall players by Rivals and both struggled mightily in their first season and only played due to injuries. It wasn't until the end of their second seasons they became effective players and both now are in the NFL....Think about that....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This......
I can't think of one true freshmen who has come in and had any sort of impact at DT/NT.....Even as 5 star studs like Easly, Floyd, Hunter and Brantley were pretty much lost during their freshmen seasons and got very few meaningful reps....
Yup. Sad but true. Read 'em and weep.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
What does the plan for Jefferson seem to be? I know they were trying him inside at times this year and at end. Are they gonna try to bulk him up to go inside or just stay at end? Thought he played better at end. Where does he project at next level? He's from my hometown, so it would be nice to see him succeed.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
What does the plan for Jefferson seem to be? I know they were trying him inside at times this year and at end. Are they gonna try to bulk him up to go inside or just stay at end? Thought he played better at end. Where does he project at next level? He's from my hometown, so it would be nice to see him succeed.

I think he plays the "Bullard/Fowler" position (where he plays inside and outside). He needs to get up to 275-ish to be effective. He's definitely not an every down DT for sure, maybe a 3rd and long DT.

I'd love to sign 15 freshman DT's, but the fact is they are unreliable. We need Riles and possibly another OL to move over to give us a solid 3rd year college football player at the position (not to be a starter, just to give us depth). As we discussed earlier, Buchanan or Sandifer may be a candidate. At a minimum, these guys should be cross-trained. As it stands, if Riles moves over we will have 4 or 5 DT's available for spring (Clark, Bryan, Jefferson, Riles, and true freshman Campbell). No reason not to let Buchanan and/or Sandifer cross-train.

I'm sure we'll hear something as it gets closer to March. Right now, recruiting will dominate the news. And once the class is signed we'll see stories about the new signees for several weeks. As March gets closer, there will probably be a few press conferences about spring ball. I'm hoping we hear something positive about Riles moving over. Honestly, would he beat any of the returning players out for an OG spot?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he plays the "Bullard/Fowler" position (where he plays inside and outside).
Fowler never played inside, man. Fowler played Buck mostly, flopping between Weak DE to OLB.

Maybe you mean Bullard/Ray McDonald.

CeCe isn't good inside, so he isn't Bullard or McDonaldish at all. Bullard and Ray Mac were beasts. CeCE is there out of necessity, not out of skillset. CeCe should be an WDE, if our roster management were competent.

I don't really like that mindset. I'd prefer to keep players in their positions and just suffer at one position if necessary, instead of moving a good end inside and being weak at both positions.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Fowler never played inside, man.

I could be mistaken, but I remember Muschamp's staff doing the inside/outside thing w/ Bullard and someone else (I thought it was Fowler). Regardless, it looks like this staff wants to do the same thing w/ Jefferson.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I could be mistaken, but I remember Muschamp's staff doing the inside/outside thing w/ Bullard and someone else (I thought it was Fowler). Regardless, it looks like this staff wants to do the same thing w/ Jefferson.
I can't recall off the top of my head. There have been many. Easley and Floyd both bumped around. Joe Cohen did. Trattou did and he was too small to be a DE even. Not many are good at it. That's why I mentioned Bullard and Ray Mac, though both were better at SDE and neither were good as NTs, as Ce Ce has unfortunately been forced to play.

Roster management, especially at DT and on the OL, has been a disaster here for a long, long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator