Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Francis is far more athletic than Corral. the reason Franks looked goofy at times cuz he kept hearing the echoes of Mcelstain and Nusschump in his head saying "just throw it away and never run".

Frank's wasn't ready last year, he may have never been ready to play in a pro-style offense, but he can run a spread and probably run option. it doesn't matter. I know you guys have been wrong the last three years about the quarterbacks. this time last year you were swearing Ldr was terrible and that Franks was the coming savior. The year before it was Treons fault. I respect your right to be wrong repeatedly
Who said anything about Corral? Sober up.

You think Franks is the answer and a Heisman contender, I do not. I guess we'll find out who is right.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree with you. Jackie Sherrill did a good job in Starkville but his overall record was just .500. The mindset was different with Mullen.
Go back through some of the MSU coaches -- Rocky Felker, Emory Bellard (inventor of the wishbone) Bob Tyler,Charles Shira -- there is no comparison to what Mullen was able to do there. There was a long drought in Starkville for a long time. It wasn't just Sylvester Croom.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-mississippi-state-football-means-now-florida

Here's the problem. The visibility of the SEC increased exponentially from Sherill to Mullen.

What does that mean? To be brutally honest...more kids wanting to play in the SEC. Way more money for facilities and upgrades even at MSU. Kids want to play in the SEC...even at MSU. If there was a way to compare recruiting classes...Mullen because of the SEC was able to out recruit other schools regionally(especially vs the past). I'm not taking away from him. It seems he did an ok job but to compare Mullen's MSU with the cache of the SEC to the 90's...it's not even close.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Here's the problem. The visibility of the SEC increased exponentially from Sherill to Mullen.

What does that mean? To be brutally honest...more kids wanting to play in the SEC. Way more money for facilities and upgrades even at MSU. Kids want to play in the SEC...even at MSU. If there was a way to compare recruiting classes...Mullen because of the SEC was able to out recruit other schools regionally(especially vs the past). I'm not taking away from him. It seems he did an ok job but to compare Mullen's MSU with the cache of the SEC to the 90's...it's not even close.

There's some truth to what you say.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It is a rare day that I see an admission like this. It seems like 99% of people on social media won’t admit they’re wrong about anything. Ever.

Dilly dilly, fellow Gator!

... let me be the first to admit you're wrong on that.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
If Franks is our starting QB next year it will be a disaster. No offense to the kid, but he doesn't have the chops. Mullen will be off to a very inauspicious start if he's forced to trot out Giraffe Boy. I don't think Mullen is that much of a jackass (ironically our local jackass thinks Franks is just what Mullen needs). He knows we don't have a QB currently on our roster that gives him a chance at success, so he has to find his guy or two and try and get them in early because they will be needed.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I am with you on this. I think UF will know about 2 years in the same as we have the last two hires at least those of us not fooled by the gaudy but hollow record in Muschamps second year.

The poster child (or poster coach) for the opposite view is John Wooden at UCLA. Wooden did not win the NCAA tourney until his 15th season. But his second UCLA team won the then Pacific Coast Conference and went to the NCAA tourney. His first year there he took a program that had never been ranked and led them to a 22-7 season and ranked 15th in both polls. He had good teams year after year after year and won the conference and thus in those days got into the NCAA 4 more time before finally breaking through to win the tourney. So even in the case everyone cites for patience with a coach, UCLA had to know they had a good coach within a year or two of hiring him.

To follow your point...another example is Dabo. It took him 3 years to win the ACC, another 4 to win it the second time and with it start this 3-year playoff run.

And then there’s Joe Paterno & Bobby Bowden, who were highly relevant at PSU & F$U quickly - Orange Bowl berths - but took over 15 years to win that first NC.

But I agree with you & the OP on the point. Relevance usually shows up in year 2-3.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I disagree with you. Jackie Sherrill did a good job in Starkville but his overall record was just .500. The mindset was different with Mullen.
Go back through some of the MSU coaches -- Rocky Felker, Emory Bellard (inventor of the wishbone) Bob Tyler,Charles Shira -- there is no comparison to what Mullen was able to do there. There was a long drought in Starkville for a long time. It wasn't just Sylvester Croom.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-mississippi-state-football-means-now-florida

I remember watching John Bond in the early 80’s.

And I remember several Gator QBs having awful days in Starkville, a young Danny included.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
And I remember several Gator QBs having awful days in Starkville, a young Danny included.

Wuerffel never played in Starkville for UF. In his only game against Ms. State Wuerffel threw 3 TDs passes, UF scored 38 points, but only won by 14.

Now in 1992, Shane Mathews had a tough game in Starkville in the first and maybe only Thursday night game UF played.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Wuerffel never played in Starkville for UF. In his only game against Ms. State Wuerffel threw 3 TDs passes, UF scored 38 points, but only won by 14.

Now in 1992, Shane Mathews had a tough game in Starkville in the first and maybe only Thursday night game UF played.

Thanks for the correction. I grew wary and weary of road games in that forsaken state. But you’re right, Danny didn’t struggle there. Shane did as you noted. Rex did, when Zook’s final nail came there. I think Wayne Peace had a lousy day there, too.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
I’m more worried about how he’s changed Florida football.

Top 5 recruiting class - gone
Elite QB commit - gone

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014

I’m pretty sure the Shane game in 1992 was played in Orlando

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't we eff up the first recruiting class when Meyer took over? A first year coach almost always struggles with the class. I guess I'm not ringing the funeral bell for the entire program after two whole weeks.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I’m pretty sure the Shane game in 1992 was played in Orlando

This site begs to differ:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_football_team

I do remember those Orlando games that MSU and other programs sold to Fl cities to bring in UF and FSU.

One Orlando game was in 1991 and UF won pretty solidly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_football_team

I think that MSU ended up with two straight home games (one sold to Orlando) with UF due the juggling of the SEC schedule between 1991 and 1992 when the SEC expanded and set up the Championship game.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
This site begs to differ:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_football_team

I do remember those Orlando games that MSU and other programs sold to Fl cities to bring in UF and FSU.

One Orlando game was in 1991 and UF won pretty solidly:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Mississippi_State_Bulldogs_football_team

I think that MSU ended up with two straight home games (one sold to Orlando) with UF due the juggling of the SEC schedule between 1991 and 1992 when the SEC expanded and set up the Championship game.
Ok man, I mixed up the years from 25 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.