I’m curious about UCF.......

AFCatholicGator

Sep 7, 2018
So I know their fans are annoying and absurd, although having received my AA from UCF before transferring to UF, I do think it’s neat they are on the scene.

But UCF recruits like in the 50s or so each year.....how good are they? I mean I know bowl games aren’t a great barometer but they beat auburn a while back and gave LSU a decent game. Logically it feels like in a regular season game that mattered, one of the top teams would beat them pretty soundly. But is that arrogance? I mean FSU has a lot more talent than UCF but I think we all know who would win that game. Just curious as to where you guys think they “really” should be ranking wise etc.

I would like to play them in a meaningful game but that doesn’t seem in the cards.

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
They are a niche of a team and I'm surprised they are the only team to pick up on this... With all the talent in the area, its hard to believe other teams couldn't follow their ways. Especially since a bunch of the Bama, UF, LSU, Auburn, Georgia players don't stay for 4 year and UCF has players that many aren't really NFL talent.

They are a top 20 team with some serious issues on defense... I guarantee you many Power 5 teams don't want to schedule them not because they couldn't beat them but their demands are 1 and 1 home schedule and they'd rather schedule a power 5 team. UCF doesn't really have the name for primetime tv games.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
Agree with Fason. Probably deserve a top 20 but hard to say anything higher at this point.

I wish we had their offense. Our 2 minute drive is still slower than their normal offense. It catches a lot of teams off-guard and they always score a lot regardless of who their QB is. The head coach who took over Frost has kept a similar offense and it's a lot of fun to watch.

I think it's also easier for them to get those "upset" wins throughout the year against power 5 (and memphis) teams because they can really get motivated and do more planning for those games, since the rest of the schedule is filled with a cupcake conference. If they played a grinding SEC schedule, I wouldn't expect them to remain top 20 for very long.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
They are good, not great. Like Boise State was for a while. Excellent offense, especially their starters. Defense not as good but playing bad teams with a big lead makes their defense look better than it is.

Can they compete with elite teams like Bama/Klimpson/tOSU etc.? Nah. Certainly not in a game that matters to both teams and even if Klimpson phoned it in they'd probably still boat-race UCF.

Can they compete with run-of-the-mill top 20 teams? Yes. Their starting 11 are as good or better than lots of generic top-20 teams. What they lack is depth. That's not an issue when you're playing their schedule (when your toughest games every year are Cincinnati and Memphis). Forget the SEC meatgrinder...if they played a B1G schedule their lack of depth would catch up to them. Of course, if they played a B1G schedule they could recruit more depth and better players but if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle.

Say they played a motivated Kentucky or Tennessee at full strength. Kentucky or Tennessee would be able to control the ball with their run game and jam it down UCF's throat. UCF's best hope on D would be to sell out to stop the run and force the SEC teams to throw it. UCF has speedy DBs but SEC WRs would feast on 1 on1 coverage, especially if the UCF defense HAD to respect the play action. On the other side of the field, UCF would score, but not at will, not like they do against their schedule. The SEC defenses would get sacks and the SEC secondaries would get picks.

The Auburn team they beat didn't want to be in that game and UCF was playing in their Super Bowl. When they played LSU, UCF had lost their starting QB but LSU was missing much of their defense (to suspension and to opting out for the NFL) and LSU still handled them.

I'd like to see them schedule a game with their old coach, go to Nebraska, and see how that plays out.

Alex.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
They are good, not great. Like Boise State was for a while. Excellent offense, especially their starters. Defense not as good but playing bad teams with a big lead makes their defense look better than it is.

Can they compete with elite teams like Bama/Klimpson/tOSU etc.? Nah. Certainly not in a game that matters to both teams and even if Klimpson phoned it in they'd probably still boat-race UCF.

Can they compete with run-of-the-mill top 20 teams? Yes. Their starting 11 are as good or better than lots of generic top-20 teams. What they lack is depth. That's not an issue when you're playing their schedule (when your toughest games every year are Cincinnati and Memphis). Forget the SEC meatgrinder...if they played a B1G schedule their lack of depth would catch up to them. Of course, if they played a B1G schedule they could recruit more depth and better players but if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle.

Say they played a motivated Kentucky or Tennessee at full strength. Kentucky or Tennessee would be able to control the ball with their run game and jam it down UCF's throat. UCF's best hope on D would be to sell out to stop the run and force the SEC teams to throw it. UCF has speedy DBs but SEC WRs would feast on 1 on1 coverage, especially if the UCF defense HAD to respect the play action. On the other side of the field, UCF would score, but not at will, not like they do against their schedule. The SEC defenses would get sacks and the SEC secondaries would get picks.

The Auburn team they beat didn't want to be in that game and UCF was playing in their Super Bowl. When they played LSU, UCF had lost their starting QB but LSU was missing much of their defense (to suspension and to opting out for the NFL) and LSU still handled them.

I'd like to see them schedule a game with their old coach, go to Nebraska, and see how that plays out.

Alex.

Good take. Always make the observation that UCF is now what Boise was for the 06-12 stretch when Peterson was there and regularly beating power conference teams and often going undefeated.

There was an article that hyper-analyzed their roster and noted how undersized their OL/DL is compared to the SEC or Big 10 and said that though they could compete in any one-off game (as we've seen), they would have at least 3 losses in any major conference given the smashing their undersized line would take game in and game out vs bigger teams.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
good directional schools are always good for one game.

they wouldn't have the depth to even play a month in the SEC much less a season.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
The thing that does suck is that their OC is at Ole Miss now and has some talent to play with

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
He also has a blank slate in his first game because he’s an unknown entity for Grantham

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He also has a blank slate in his first game because he’s an unknown entity for Grantham

That is more worrisome. We don't even know which QB we'll get. Probably both of them.

Alex.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
With what happened with terry Wilson I’m more worried about Plumlee getting wildcat snaps

Last edited:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe it's just me? I've NEVER been curious about UCF... They're a good mid major program. That's about it. Call me when they win a real BCS championship.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Most of the takes here were pretty spot on. Good team that is a lot of fun to watch. I love their offense. Always attacking. But they wouldn’t hold up in a bigger conference.

I follow them and go to some games since my son went there and they’re only 10 minutes from my house. It’s not the Swamp by any stretch but the games are fun.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe it's just me? I've NEVER been curious about UCF... They're a good mid major program. That's about it. Call me when they win a real BCS championship.

Similar to USF a decade ago, they have a few good years and then go back to their natural place. They are fun to watch when they have an exciting offense, or a special player but otherwise just another mid major. The problem with UCF is they don't realize they are just a mid major until they get their teeth kicked in again.

It's like when T's mom starts talking smack to Donkey, and he has to establish his dominance over the trailer park on her.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You are what you recruit. They recruit in the 50's so they're a 50ish team. Why is this even a discussion?
They recruit the best in their conference so they beat the teams in their conference. When they play a P5 team they give them a good game for 3.5 quarters until adrenaline wears off and depth becomes a factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator