I just re-watched every play of the first half, focusing on the line of scrimmage

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Plays in bold are screw-ups at the line. Play in bold italics are good plays, not just because they happened to work, but because the scheme and personnel worked, too.

1st play, long Scarlett run. Great. Johnson, r. tackle, sealed DE, Scarlett made the first guy miss.
1st down, l. guard double-teamed tackle with center, let defender shoot the gap unimpeded, stopping sweep left by Taylor.
2nd down - TD called back.
3rd down - r. tackle doubled down on tackle, left DE untouched. Harris rolled right, DE in his face. incomplete pass.
4th down - fake left, sweep right. Pulling left guard meet DE deep in the backfield, pushing play deep. Harris makes his block out front (our only QB is blocking?!), but Powell went out of bounds at the 2. Powell couldn’t cut inside because r. tackle got pushed back by defensive player, who then got off his block and filled the gap.

Next Series
1st down - r. guard gets a 1 second block on DT, who then runs around him and rushes Harris’s throw. Incomplete.
2nd down - quick throw from the pocket, Goolsby picks up a bunch of yards.
1st down - blitz, picked up at first by r. tackle, but he gets pushed back and then the blitzer gets past and reaches for RB. This forces Scarlett to go around, slowing down the play. Scarlett gets outside for a few yards.
2nd down - TV cut off the start of the play. Powell running right behind Taylor. Safety made a great play behind Taylor. Not sure if somebody missed their assignment. Couldn’t see the whole thing.
3rd down - L. tackle looked inside, OLB at the line went around him outside and took off after Harris, who scrambled and gained 10.
1st down - L tackle sealed the DE, Cox slaughtered a DB, and Taylor ran in for a TD.

Next Series

1st down - Quick pass to Robinson, picks up 8 easy yards.
2nd down - Scarlett runs right, behind pulling TE. TE makes a weak rolling block at LB’s feet, LB ignores him and makes the tackle.
3rd down - Bryan Cox and CeCe Jefferson both in to block. Taylor has a big hole and picks up 6 for the first down.
1st down - quick pass on a crossing route behind the blitzing LB, Robinson picks up a bucket of yards. Nice play. Decent blocking for the needed second up the middle.
1st down - Harris stays in pocket, pocket starts collapsing, pass blocked at the edge of the pocket.
2nd down - Run. RG engages DT, who tosses him aside to make the tackle on Powell running through what looked for a moment like a hole on the inside.
3rd down - QB draw. Center takes a step, looks up, runs to empty space on his right. RG loses his block and DT makes the tackle.
4th down - fake FG, Jefferson runs for 1st down. Refs steal it from Gators, give ball to Vandy.

Next Series

1st down - quick screen to Callaway, picks up 5 yards.
2nd down - rg pulls, TE leads, Taylor dances in heavy traffic for 4 yards. Pretty well blocked.
3rd down - DB comes in from the far edge and hits Taylor behind the LOS. Just a good defensive play.

Next Series

1st down - blitz comes untouched up the middle and goes straight for Taylor (hard to give Taylor credit for the block - the blitzer came after him, not the other way around), Harris runs for his life, throws the ball away.
2nd down - Taylor runs left. Two tight ends on the left bake a big hole for him. Picks up 7 yards.
3rd down - Same play, first down.

Next Series
1st down - Silly play. Robinson throws duck to Harris. Lucky not to have it intercepted.
2nd down - Tight end seals the line, Taylor goes around for 5 yards. (gets hit out of bounds - no flag)
3rd down - Harris makes quick pass to Robinson, who comes back and is just short of a first down.
4th down - heavies in to block for Taylor, Harris runs a naked bootleg instead, shadow LB chases him, Harris throws it up for interception. Bad play call. Taylor picks that up with ease.
(Webb runs for long TD with great block by umpire)

Next Series

1st down - good blocking, Harris throws first down from pocket.
1st down - stand-up LB goes around LT. Harris runs for 2 yards.
2nd down - empty backfield. three man rush. Harris steps into the arms of the nose tackle. Pressure coming from both sides, as tackles let DEs get too close.
3rd down - DE gets held by RT.

Conclusion?

Our offensive line, particularly with the backups playing just isn't good enough to keep us in a game. But Harris is quite capable of making quick passes and our receivers of getting yards, and Taylor runs very well with the addition of a tight end or two. He can take that outside or cut it inside.

The rollouts didn't work. Harris had a shadow all day, and every time he rolled it was trouble. The worst was the naked bootleg and interception. He's not going to win any games on the rollout. That's done. But he can throw quick strikes to wideouts and tight ends, and with the addition of tight ends or the occasional defensive tackle as fullback, Taylor can pick up a lot of yards.

Or at least that's what I saw. How about you?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the line is serviceable. They are young so they get pushed around a little more than I like. They also seem to get confused sometimes. I think they need confidence and to be beat with a water hose at night to get them mean.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Line was pathetic in the game. The second-half featured just three man rushes and we couldn't block it.

Interestingly enough, I don't think Harris completed a single pass outside of the pocket.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't fault Treon at all for the INT. It was 4th down. The DB was an idiot for not just batting it down, they lost 20 yards on the play.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
All of Treon's completions (12) were from the pocket. Probably because they shut down the rollouts. I think we were missing two starters on the Oline. At least I hope it was two starters as bad as they played. I expect them to be better by this point in the season but maybe that's too much to expect. Also the real question is are they getting better week to week? I haven't noticed an improvement but then Oline play is not my forte.

GatorMD92

Oct 31, 2015
In year one, the oline has played admirable but flawed. Let's give them a year or two to mature with a QB that can makes plays. They can be The Great Wall of Florida once again.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Sharpe was playing at least in the second half when we did nothing. Doubling one man while another runs free to qb drove me nuts last year. Had not happened much this year until Vandy. We regressed.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I have watched a lot of college football the past 25+ years and finally threw in the towel on the Gator offensive line and came to a very simple conclusion. It does not matter who the head coach is, it does not matter who the O-line coach is, as long as they are wearing O&B and playing on the offensive line, defensive linemen will run free into the backfield way more than they ever should. Even when lined up directly across from an O-lineman a D-lineman will be let into the backfield unimpeded way too often.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I find it hard to believe that anyone other than the coaches would subject themselves to re watching any part of this game...I lucked out and missed much of it due to a case of explosive diarrhea that kicked in around kick off....I didn't miss much, at least that I would have rewatched.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n309920 said:
Is winning so depressing to you people?

Oh please. When you look up depressing in the dictionary, Laws picture pops up.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Law98gator;n309920 said:

Not winning and not depressing. But poor play is not that encouraging at least to me.

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n309763 said:
Line was pathetic in the game. The second-half featured just three man rushes and we couldn't block it.

Interestingly enough, I don't think Harris completed a single pass outside of the pocket.
The O Line has been horrendous all season. Our QB's, either Greir or Treon, only get one read and have to throw the ball or run. We have receivers wide open on most plays and due to the inability of the OL to sustain blocks, points are left of the field.

My concern is with the OL Coach - Summers. I do not see much to any improvement over the season. I did not like him being retained and since he is the lowest paid coach, I hope he is replaced at the end of the season.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
ergator920103;n310094 said:
The O Line has been horrendous all season. Our QB's, either Greir or Treon, only get one read and have to throw the ball or run. We have receivers wide open on most plays and due to the inability of the OL to sustain blocks, points are left of the field.

My concern is with the OL Coach - Summers. I do not see much to any improvement over the season. I did not like him being retained and since he is the lowest paid coach, I hope he is replaced at the end of the season.

You are the only person who thought he shouldn't be retained. Considering that we're 8-1, Summers is doing a fantastic job. The problem with the O-line is that they are young and not physically strong enough yet to be a great SEC O-line. They will be much better next year thanks to a year in the weight room and valuable playing experience.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I gave you a well deserved like, I wish I had the time to do that so I appreciate the effort that went in to the analysis. Go Gators

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Recorded the game and watched pieces of the first half. I was so disgusted after the vandy score I deleted it from the DVR.
The following players deserve a swift kick in the nuts for an absolutely wretched performance.
Daniel Mcmillan- Had a foolish late hit in the game in Jax. Came in to give Davis a blow I assume, and runs himself out of the play.
Causing a massive hole for the back on the 70 odd something yard touchdown run. He can't be trusted and routinely makes
foolish mental mistakes.

Robinson- This guy palms the ball as if he is shooting hoops or getting ready to throw a pass when he is running down the field.
Eventually he was going to get the ball knocked loose. Who the hell carries a football like that? Give him two kicks in the nuts.

Scarlett- Running backwards 20 yards is no way to get in coach's good graces. He's a freshmen so a good tongue lashing
should do instead of a kick in the nuts.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n309920 said:

No BS, I've really enjoyed the 180 you've pulled this year, but considering how much you pouted after all the close victories in 2012 (which were almost identical to the Vandy game), this post is dripping with irony. :lol2:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;310118 said:
Recorded the game and watched pieces of the first half. I was so disgusted after the vandy score I deleted it from the DVR.
The following players deserve a swift kick in the nuts for an absolutely wretched performance.
Daniel Mcmillan- Had a foolish late hit in the game in Jax. Came in to give Davis a blow I assume, and runs himself out of the play.
Causing a massive hole for the back on the 70 odd something yard touchdown run. He can't be trusted and routinely makes
foolish mental mistakes.

Robinson- This guy palms the ball as if he is shooting hoops or getting ready to throw a pass when he is running down the field.
Eventually he was going to get the ball knocked loose. Who the hell carries a football like that? Give him two kicks in the nuts.

Scarlett- Running backwards 20 yards is no way to get in coach's good graces. He's a freshmen so a good tongue lashing
should do instead of a kick in the nuts.

I needed a good laugh. You earned a like for this.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n310167 said:
No BS, I've really enjoyed the 180 you've pulled this year, but considering how much you pouted after all the close victories in 2012 (which were almost identical to the Vandy game), this post is dripping with irony. :lol2:
Here's the difference, we dont have a coach now who comes out after the game and berates the fans for not recognizing his offensive TOP genius and screams that "THIS IS THE WAY YOU WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!!!!!"

Dawgshyt PLANNED on having zero offense. Our current coach intends to have what we saw vs Mizzu and will get there with a couple of recruiting classes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator