I was wrong about Will Grier

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is what happens when we get a real coach. In Coach Mac we trust! Mac Attack!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We never doubted the physical skills, it was a matter of whether he could get the game to slow down in his mind. It finally did in the fourth quarter a week ago. Over the last five quarters he's been the best quarterback in the nation let alone the SEC. The TD throw to D-Rob falling back with a rusher in his face was the best I've seen out of college passer anytime or anywhere. There were plenty more where he combined zip with accuracy. We're amazingly blessed to have this guy.

A hearty thanks to Will Muschamp for recruiting him. It was worth every buyout dollar, Coach.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n290828]We never doubted the physical skills, it was a matter of whether he could get the game to slow down in his mind. [/QUOTE]
It's all just talent until they do it on the field.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
All is forgiven KC.
Grier is a combination of Sexy Rexy and Chris "NCG MVP and Great Gator" Leak. Earlier in the season I thought Treon might get better but Grier's arm was hard to ignore.
Anybody else notice that Grier put some touch on the ball this game?

In every game in every way we see what a dunce :kiffin: is, was, and shall ever be.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here it is again. Tremendous arm strength to be able to launch the ball like that falling backward. He leads Robinson perfectly in terms of length and Robinson makes the necessary adjustment to the middle of the field to get underneath it. These two are finally on the same page.

l41lV0qop6BJeEpdS.gif

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n290837]Here it is again. Tremendous arm strength to be able to launch the ball like that falling backward. He leads Robinson perfectly in terms of length and Robinson makes the necessary adjustment to the middle of the field to get underneath it. These two are finally on the same page.

l41lV0qop6BJeEpdS.gif
[/QUOTE]

...and an example of the inaccuracy in the thought that "Treon throws a better deep ball"...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n290841 said:
...and an example of the inaccuracy in the thought that "Treon throws a better deep ball"...

I don't see Treon making that throw more because he doesn't have as quick of release. That's what really makes that throw special. Grier had only a split second to make up his mind and release the ball. Boom.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator812;n290841 said:
You know, he threw that into what looks like 3 high zone or maybe 2 high zone with a man on Drob, hit the receiver right in stride and threaded the needle. It's not even an easy read in retrospect.

That is a damn big league pass.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n290537 said:
Leak was great, but I feel like the upside for Grier is much higher. At the end of the day, Leak always threw kind of a floating ball band you can only go so far with that. Grier throw a strikes, great release, and at times shows the ability look over the field and pick out the 2nd and 3rd receiver.

I like how Mac on occasion is rolling him out to force him to let the play develop because Grier's tendancy is to get rid of it so fast that the play doesn't develop. It seems like tonight the game was slowing down a bit for Grier. Of course, the protection he received tonight seemed better than the past few weeks also.
The upside for Grier might be the best UF has ever had (in terms of next level NFL talent).

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Good, not great throw, terrible help by the over the top safety. In film study Mac will break that down and tell him not to make that pass. Our D would've picked that off.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE-;n290850 said:
The upside for Grier might be the best UF has ever had (in terms of next level NFL talent).

Hands down IMO. He reminds me of your guy, Rodgers, he's that good.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n290852 said:
Good, not great throw, terrible help by the over the top safety. In film study Mac will break that down and tell him not to make that pass. Our D would've picked that off.

We get it, you hate white quarterbacks.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n290854]

Hands down IMO. He reminds me of your guy, Rodgers, he's that good. [/QUOTE]
I've actually said that a few times this year already...he very much reminds me of him. Similar size, build, athleticism, and unbelievable quick release...hopefully he continues down that path

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n290852 said:

Yeah, I can imagine Mac in church right about now telling Jesus he had a lot of nerve coming back from the Crucifixion.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
And that throw is the comparison to Sexy Rexy. Grossman could throw off his back foot, his middle foot, didn't matter. And had that intangible leadership quality.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
-THE DUDE-;n290850 said:

Totally agree with this. He has all the tools to be an NFL talent. Just needs time to develop.

I am SOOO happy we have a coaching staff that can productively use him and develop him. Muschamp's staff were always going to be too conservative for him to have really developed - and if we had ever had a successful offense that O-coor would have been out the door in a year or two for bigger and better things.. Meyer is a great coach, but Grier will thrive much more in this type of scheme vs some variant of Meyer's spread option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.