If there’s a worse offense out there, then show proof

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
UT is ranked below us in total yards/game, passing yards/game, and rushing yards/game. They are about equal with us in points/game, but if we didn't have a game canceled, then I think we'd be ahead of them instead of equal. So Tennessee is statistically worse than we are. They also haven't won an SEC game yet. They may not either. Anyways no matter how bad it gets for us, UT is still worse.

Also Kent St. only averages 10.7 points a game. :eek3:

Yeah, but we're in the 8th year of this stink.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BMF. Thanks for the correction, but the Wikipedia entry you seem to be citing is incorrect. Although I haven't been able to confirm Amadee at UF in 1979 yet, the OC at UT that year was Joe Avezzano. He came with Majors from Pittsburg in 1977 and stayed through 1979, according to multiple sources. I'll keep digging.

Amedee was the QB coach at UT in 79....not the OC. It's correct. I did search and couldn't find who the OC was at UF in 79, Shanahan didn't start until 1980. I remember Amedee well, because I was 18 years old in 1988 (year I graduated HS). He was definitely at UF in 88.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
@ThomasGoldkamp: #Gator are the worst first-quarter scoring team in the SEC. Shannon says lack of vets hurts, but it must improve - https://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/...start-games-faster-in-first-quarter-110126042

This goes back to the thought that "Well, Nuss is only good on the first drive because all the plays are scripted" BS. I posted in a stats thread earlier all of our games this year's first 2 drives....and it was pathetic. So, even the attempt at a positive spin for this offense was BS. When you combine the talent level w/ the production, I'd have to say that - yes, it is the worst offense in the country. It's the monkey & football analogy (someone's got a meme they could post, I'm sure).

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BMF. Thanks for the correction, but the Wikipedia entry you seem to be citing is incorrect. Although I haven't been able to confirm Amadee at UF in 1979 yet, the OC at UT that year was Joe Avezzano. He came with Majors from Pittsburg in 1977 and stayed through 1979, according to multiple sources. I'll keep digging.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...dee-offense-last-season-defensive-backs-coach

Amedee To Make Play-calling A One-coach Show At Florida
January 13, 1988|By IRA WINDERMAN, Staff Writer

GAINESVILLE -- With Florida`s former offensive coordinator at his side, newly hired Lynn Amedee left little doubt about who would be calling the offensive shots this year for the Gators.

Handling his introduction with the aplomb of a head coach, Amedee met with the Florida media for the first time Tuesday along with new defensive coordinator Gary Darnell and new defensive line coach Rex Norris.

The introductions were made by Florida coach Galen Hall, who had handled the offense the past four seasons. Tuesday, though, it sounded as if Amedee had been named co-coach, instead of offensive coordinator.

``I will bring in our offense from A to Z,`` Amedee said of the system he used the past three years at Texas A&M. ``That`s how I wanted it. We will be a completely different offensive football team than Florida has been the past couple of years. We will line up with one back 70 percent of the time. We will talk about throwing the ball first and running the ball second.``

Amedee made it clear that Florida`s offense will be his his offense. Last year, fired receivers and quarterbacks coach Mike Heimerdinger would send plays from the press box and Hall would have the final say on the field. Next season, Hall said the decisions will be Amedee`s.

``I liked the challenge of calling the plays,`` Hall said. ``But it`s something I felt I had to change.``

Florida ranked seventh in the 10-team Southeastern Conference in total offense last season. It was sixth in passing and eighth in rushing.

The job will be the 12th in the past 23 years for Amedee, whose only head coaching experience was at Division II Tennessee-Martin in 1980 and `81.

``I`m 46 years old now and I felt it was time to settle down,`` he said. ``But again, all the moves you make, you hope will improve you as a football coach.``

Amedee enjoyed his greatest success at Texas A&M and Vanderbilt, where he guided the offense in 1983 and `84. At Texas A&M, Amedee worked with future NFL running backs Anthony Toney and Roger Vick, and said that should help him develop a system geared to Gators record-breaking tailback Emmitt Smith.

``We will not sit in the I-formation every snap,`` he said. ``We`ll be wide open. I`ll promise you that.``

Wide open for criticism this year will be Darnell, who inherits the SEC`s top-ranked defense after leading the Wake Forest defense last season.

``I really don`t think you can let that bother you,`` Darnell said. ``I know we`ll be good here, because we`ve never had anything but that.``

Unlike Amedee, Darnell plans few changes. Zaven Yaralian, defensive coordinator the past two seasons, resigned in December.

``I`m not saying we did a bad defensive job last season,`` Hall said. ``But in our big football games, we did not play well.``

Working under Darnell will be defensive backs coach Jim Dickey, who was head coach and Darnell`s boss at Kansas State from 1978-82. Last season, Dickey coached the inside linebackers, whom Darnell now will coach.

``I`ve learned in this profession that if you take yourself too seriously, it`s probably a mistake,`` Darnell said, ``because the guy you`re working for, you`re going to be his boss one day. I don`t think there`s a lot of egos involved here.``

For Norris, ego never was a factor. He resigned from Detroit Lions after three years.

``I feel good about what I do and I wanted to continue to feel good about it,`` said Norris, who served at Oklahoma with Hall in the late `70s and early `80s. ``In (the NFL) whether you do a good job doesn`t matter as much as the bottom line.``

Norris said he did not make the move because of the tenuous position of Lions coach Darryl Rogers.

Norris inherits a line that includes two All-Conference players (middle guard Jeff Roth and defensive tackle Rhondy Weston) and a promising transfer (Trace Armstrong from Arizona State).

``I met with the players yesterday and I said, `I won`t mess you up,` `` Norris said. ``If a guy`s a good player, I won`t coach him down.``

Adjusting to college life, Norris said, would be simple, except, ``I`ll probably be upset the first time I see a player get a fumble and not get up and run with it.``

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Amedee was the QB coach at UT in 79....not the OC. It's correct. I did search and couldn't find who the OC was at UF in 79, Shanahan didn't start until 1980. I remember Amedee well, because I was 18 years old in 1988 (year I graduated HS). He was definitely at UF in 88.
I cannot believe I had that wrong for so long............I woulda bet the house on it................Didnt Pell hire Shanahan in 80 for the Off. I researched and you nailed it,.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Side note 2: just heard the Soundbyte they are using to promote Steve Russell's daily show...it's from when I pissed him off with a tweet

:bwahaha:
:lmao2:
:bananarope::giggle::thug::thug2:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The only squad in the nation worse than the Gator offense is......the Gator special teams.

109th in punt returns
109th in punt returns allowed
89th in kickoff returns (19.9 avg woo hoo!)
129th (out of 130 teams) in kickoff returns allowed

Last edited:

FlGator19382

Oct 7, 2017
The only squad in the nation worse than the Gator offense is......the Gator special teams.

109th in punt returns

7037d0cadfbf0a566ecfefbd30213ad4.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

109th in punt returns

These stats show coaches' poorest use of personell. Next HC will need to be a stickler for the details.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Linky dinky needed

Wish I knew a link for their ads. The soundbyte was when I tweeted that if he took away Mullen's UF connections (he says this to everyone who wants things like Kerwin Bell being OC), he may not want him.

The rant is pretty much (I'll quote what I can): "There is a small section of this fan base that wouldn't be happy if we hired Charlie Strong or Dan Mullen because they've already been here. Dan Mullen had Mississippi State #1. HAS FLORIDA BEEN #1???" Yes, he raises his voice on that last point. I think I missed part of it and this is just a selection of the rant.

Of course, I didn't say anything about Strong, only meant to make a point about his hypocrisy about removing the UF connection from other coaches, and the #1 thing is bull****. Yes, we haven't been #1, but that's why we fire coaches...along with poor offense. Mullen also proceeded to lose 3 of 4 after being #1 and two were by multiple scores if I remember right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator