It's clearly a new era of Gator football

How would you grade the Gators performance?

• A

Votes: 77 42.3%
  • B

Votes: 96 52.7%
  • C

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Best moment was fat boy (term of endearment) rumbling with the ball and the celebration afterwards. Who was it that flipped him the ball or did he get it off a bounce

Nomadigator

Veni vidi facepalmi
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2018
Well, having a watchable team again will help, but a lot of it comes down to the fact that I just don't have as much time as I used to in order to do them. They are more work than people think.
Lima Charlie...Loud and Clear...just a kind reminder you gots at least one devoted listener in standby mode.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The best indicator I saw was the HBC coaching his QB, and seriously correcting a player who should have got a penalty for throwing a player down after the whistle. That was followed by some other coach giving him a less emotional correction. Great combination, one gets your attention, the other lets you know you can improve just do it.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
No one thinks there arent going to be bumps in the road, but who knew Frash even had this in his repertoire?

No me.
Of course, BUT TODAY went well.
I totally agree, and I also think your response to last night's performance demonstrates that you are fair within the context of the realities at hand. I F around with you for a cheap laugh sometimes, but your grasp of Xs & Os is for real. Like you, I am making a real effort to accept the situation as it is and see and appreciate the actual improvements that have undoubtedly been made. At my age, I don't need some whippersnapper explaining the vagaries of fate, or that success may be fleeting, or that greater challenges lay ahead to my ancient ass. I get it. But for crying out loud, anybody who can't see that DM is off to a solid start and that things are definitely looking up is being purposely obtuse. Enjoy life. Go Gators! - and all that shyt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Best moment was fat boy (term of endearment) rumbling with the ball and the celebration afterwards. Who was it that flipped him the ball or did he get it off a bounce
Did you see Big TJ after that run on the sideline dancing with Mullinz?

DTs don't get to touch the ball much.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I'm going to be honest, the first 3 drives concerned me; TD, FG, punt....and Franks was 3 of 8. It wasn't smooth. After that it seems he settled down and the rest of the game was enjoyable. You can tell Mullen calls a much better game than the last two incompetents. He's handicapped by the OL and QB play, unfortunately.
Troo dat. However, Franks played better than I ever expected he could (quality of the opponent not withstanding) and although the run blocking is still pretty shytty, they did pass-block quite well at times. Not disagreeing about your concerns, but there is some evidence of actual coaching going on - and for that I am truly grateful.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015

More of a bounce but at first I thought flip. Flip would have been illegal? Anyway, a player (Polite?) was falling forward and tried to pick it up and providentially it bounced into Bam Bam Boy's hands. Would have loved for him to be able to shove that first tackler to the ground and keep rumbling.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
O4tf.gif

I had forgotten all about style points

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I had forgotten all about style points
Funny that some derided "style points" when we had teams that couldn't do the simplest things against even the most overmatched opponents. Yup, noting that we sucked all the time was derided as "style points".

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Some of my favorite plays in no particular order:

The Pierce ST hit
Two blocked kicks
Van Jefferson TD catch while draped
Raymond's block to spring Grimes
Slaton recovery and return. Would love to see him get a Fridge moment
Perine and Pierce collectively running the ball. Was Lemons on the field?
Krull performing in his PT
Franks overall maturation progressing

Lot's to be excited about. I feel much better about Kintucky, but feel they are a bigger threat than UT at this point. We get to see what to expect out of LSU tonight. I feel like 8 wins is my new expectation.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not to be a wet blanket on a rainy (where I am) Sunday morning fellas, but I'm still not sold yet on the idea of Feleipe Franks leading us back to where we really want and deserve to be. I'm still not seeing that eye-popping "it" factor. If it is there, then it will take some better competition to bring it out in him. As well as some sharper play by his surrounding cast, so that everything looks easy for Franks like it looked in 1994 for Terry Dean and last night for Tua... uhhh, let's just call him Tua T.

All that said, it clearly is indeed a new era for Gator Football, and whether it's under Franks or another QB yet to come under this promising new head coach, I have...

I don't think this game means a lot either just like the 2014 and 2015 games didn't mean much for the offense anyway. Heck didn't we roll up over 600 yards in those games. If we roll KY and its not just due to turnovers I will have more faith.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
The game of football hasn't changed all that much since we won our last championship. You come prepared, you make plays, you limit mistakes, you win more than you lose.

We did a lot of things right last night against a decidedly inferior opponent. That's the good news. The not so easy job is to add up the plusses and minuses, consider all the variables and determine an actual net.

I'm not ready to proclaim us fixed, not yet, but it would be ignorant not to note all the things that seemed different, better and outright positive after a 47-point blowout that featured highlights all over the field.

It's only one brick, but it's a big one.
You're right that the game of football hasn't changed much, except for the pansification of the rules. Like for example, as recently as 3-4 years ago that starting LB for Charleston Southern wouldn't have been ejected early in the 1st Quarter. And then it might've been a whole different ball game!

KIDDING! I'm kidding. Ray Lewis in his prime couldn't have helped that team much. But yeah, the fundamentals of the game haven't changed. However, when I watch highlights from back in the day, usually the athletes don't look as fast and powerful, and the action looks a little slower.

The latter was not the case when I left the TV on SECN for awhile after the game last night, and a segment came on featuring Chris Doering and some other analysts.

While they were talking about the most TD's thrown in a half by a Gator QB, since Franks threw an impressive 5 in the first half last night, they showed a highlight package of Terry Dean's 7 TD's in the first half of the 1994 season opener against New Mexico State.

Yes, the players from 24 years ago (has it really been that long?) didn't look quite as big and powerful as today's. But the action (for the Gators' part, at least) did not look any slower. In fact Dean's passes had more zip, the receivers' routes looked more precise and the overall execution looked sharper than what we saw last night. Having just finished watching the game, to me the difference was noticeable.

Did our offense look better last night that we did under Butters? I think so, but that is not the standard by which we should be measuring ourselves. I'm not necessarily saying we need to measure up to the Platinum Standard set by the Fun n' Gun of the 1990's, either. But if we want to do anything better than win the SEC East, the current Gold Standard is the play of Mr. Tua Tagovaliballoonagigawatabamalamadingdongaloa of the Bams.

Not to be a wet blanket on a rainy (where I am) Sunday morning fellas, but I'm still not sold yet on the idea of Feleipe Franks leading us back to where we really want and deserve to be. I'm still not seeing that eye-popping "it" factor. If it is there, then it will take some better competition to bring it out in him. As well as some sharper play by his surrounding cast, so that everything looks easy for Franks like it looked in 1994 for Terry Dean and last night for Tua... uhhh, let's just call him Tua T.

All that said, it clearly is indeed a new era for Gator Football, and whether it's under Franks or another QB yet to come under this promising new head coach, I have...

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There wasn't a flag, dork. Just stating that it wasn't really a good block. Hopefully he won't get called for it in the big games down the stretch.
Never said it was a really good block, said it was one of my favorite plays. And....no flag. But hey if you'd rather us get flags called on us, then that's your prerogative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.