It's time to start one of the freshman quarterbacks

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
See Ole Miss 31, UGA 0 at halftime.
I know some people on this message board, including our Dear Leader (Kim Jong Ox), advocate starting one of our true freshman quarterbacks today (and maybe in future weeks depending on Del Rio's injury). Unless you are a once in a generation quarterback, you need at least a year to process the playbook and understand your physical capabilities before playing prime time college football (so yes, I think Trask or Franks could beat North Texas, but not North Carolina).
Therefore, where do you stand on the starting of true freshman quarterbacks - do it b/c the "future is now," only do it if absolutely necessary, or always have an experienced quarterback?

Name and town if you wish to opine.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know some people on this message board, including our Dear Leader (Kim Jong Ox), advocate starting one of our true freshman quarterbacks today (and maybe in future weeks depending on Del Rio's injury). Unless you are a once in a generation quarterback, you need at least a year to process the playbook and understand your physical capabilities before playing prime time college football (so yes, I think Trask or Franks could beat North Texas, but not North Carolina).
Therefore, where do you stand on the starting of true freshman quarterbacks - do it b/c the "future is now," only do it if absolutely necessary, or always have an experienced quarterback?

Name and town if you wish to opine.
Eason isn't really the reason they are getting thumped right now

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Unless Eason has thrown 5 interceptions leading to 4 TDs and a Field Goal, I don't think he's the reason they're losing 31-0.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

It depends on your situation as some true freshman SEC QBs have played decent in past years. If the true freshman clearly showed he was better in practice I say start him unless that experienced QB showed he was a gamer in the real thing in his past starts. I say you go with Appleby but if he really started giving the game away you could try a switch to see what happens. If Appleby limits himself to one interception or less we should have a good chance to win this game.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There have been a couple drops but not 14 of them.
No, not 14. And I'm not saying that he is otherwise playing great. I'm saying everyone on that team is playing horribly. There have been several significant, should have been caught, passes that changed whether or not they would score. Their WRs are terrible, and the defense is worse. No pressure and can't tackle.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Looks like Austin Hardin coached up the UGA kickers this offseason. They're off to a 3 for 8 start....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's painfully obvious now that we're not playing for any championships this year, so we might as well play for the future. Trask or Franks, honestly I'd like to see both of them play.

No offense to Appleby (he played far better than I was expecting), but there's no logical reason for him to play another snap at Florida.

Discuss.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
We need to start a freshman HC for the remainder of the year. Build for the future.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The tricky part is we have Jake Allen coming in next year, and I expect him to be better than Franks or Trask. It's tricky.

ChompTown

G8R B8
Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2015
I'm glad you explained your position... because this was totally on the piss poor offensive strategy in the second half... not Applybees

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My issue with starting a frosh QB is it could stunt their development. Our O-line kinda sucks.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Ox chill. The Vols play A&M and Bama. There's still a long season ahead and the east is still there. Appleby gives us a good chance to win. Going forward, we need better coaching and less trash talking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.