It's time to start one of the freshman quarterbacks

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Unless we fall 2 games behind TN I am keeping a little bit of hope the football gods will help us out with the East.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Have you seen any other McElwain or Nusschamp offenses?
Yes, but Appleby looked good throwing a bunch of deep balls in the 1st. That has been there this year. LDR just dumps it off. You can't just keep dumping it off. Most of their previous offenses still took chances a few times a game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why would we wave the white flag over this? We're adjustments away, not fire sales.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why would we wave the white flag over this? We're adjustments away, not fire sales.
You have a dozen upperclassmen OL and a half dozen DT/NTs up your sleeve?

That would be a great adjustment if you do.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
AA played more than an adequate game. I think if I told you he was going to lead us to 4 TD's and only one turnover I think you would have guaranteed a win. AA gives us our best shot to win this year. With that said, do we play to win this year (no real championship shot) or do we plan for the future and play a freshman?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well the answer to the original question is no. Would we be having this thread if LDR hadn't gotten hurt? Of course not. Well we shouldn't be having it now because Appleby just played as well as LDR. IMO QB play hasn't hurt us this year and it didn't lose this game for us. I'm not usually one of those guys who always cries about the playcalling....but the playcalling in the 3rd quarter was an abomination. Appleby was throwing the ball plenty, and I mean plenty, well enough to win that game. We just turtled up for no reason whatsoever and took him out of the game from the coaching booth. Run run run, right up the middle, right into a stacked box. Inexcusable.

And on top of the poorly called game, once the "script" ran out it took FOREVER to get the plays into the kid. How about helping him out a little coach? Jeebus!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Ox, reactions like this are literally the worst thing about college football fans. We should just start all true freshman after we lose one game because this year doesn't matter anymore? They did quit, and it sucked. Let's hope they learn from it.
I don't recall saying we should start all true freshman. I said quarterback. Why do you assume the freshman will suck? Perhaps they would actually bring some life and excitement to the offense, and give people hope for the future.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't recall saying we should start all true freshman. I said quarterback. Why do you assume the freshman will suck? Perhaps they would actually bring some life and excitement to the offense, and give people hope for the future.
Because I don't imagine either of them bringing life and excitement to the offense. At all. That is the one position that I don't want a true freshman starting. How'd Georgia do today?

Doopree

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
I disagree with starting freshmen. You don't "throw away" an entire season to build for the next. You play to win, even against Bama.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia is doing the right thing by playing their freshman QB. They are going to be MUCH better off next season because of it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You have a dozen upperclassmen OL and a half dozen DT/NTs up your sleeve?

That would be a great adjustment if you do.

So where should we be right now, grasshopper?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, how smart does Louisville look for gambling on Petrino?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Because I don't imagine either of them bringing life and excitement to the offense. At all. That is the one position that I don't want a true freshman starting. How'd Georgia do today?
How did WE do today with a 10th year senior? Georgia is going to see major benefits next year by playing the freshman this year.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia is doing the right thing by playing their freshman QB. They are going to be MUCH better off next season because of it.
Do you think Trask or Franks is going to be better than del rio?
How did WE do today with a 10th year senior? Georgia is going to see major benefits next year by playing the freshman this year.
Appleby played fine. Much better than you could have expected Trask or Franks to play. Complacency killed us, not QB play. I really doubt Trask or Franks will be the starter next year anyways so I'm not sure what a start over Vandy would give us.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Unless we fall 2 games behind TN I am keeping a little bit of hope the football gods will help us out with the East.
I see UT losing both to aTm and Bama but we have no margin for error or very little.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
No I don't think starting a freshman is the answer. I'm not opposed to giving one of them playing time in mop up duty but don't start them.

On a side note, I think Kirby is making a mistake with Eason. That kid may well end up a basket case before season's end if he has many more games like he did today.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Do you want to degenerate to, "there's always next year"? If you don't play each game to win then you send the message that each game doesn't matter. Is that the team that you want? I don't. That was our bowl game last year. I still haven't washed that taste out of my mouth.
Exactly....it took Clemson 3 or 4 years to catch the Clowns and play for a championship last year....you keep trying to win as many games as possible to compile a good record and achieve a higher ranking because it keeps your program in the spotlight. Some people on here wonder why we aren't a Top 10 in recruiting.........well we need to get back to being a Top 10 ranked team and EVERY game matters even Bowl games particularly the ones in your home state where you've been getting your ass kicked on and of the field.....you try to win every single game like it's the last one you'll play/coach in.

Last edited:

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
put me in the Appleby camp.. Think he did much better than LDR would have.

Just play AA for rest of year and start one of the RS freshman next year

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.