:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perfect!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't think it needs a lot of discussion. Pretty dumb idea.
How specifically is it a dumb idea?

Let's be honest here: how much worse could either freshman QB have been than LDR the last couple of weeks? I don't know if you dudes have been watching the games, but Del Rio SUCKS. Sorry to be so blunt, but there's almost nothing he does well. Noodle arm, backpedals 20 yards after every snap, etc. I'm flat-out sick and tired of embarrassing QB play.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
How specifically is it a dumb idea?

Let's be honest here: how much worse could either freshman QB have been than LDR the last couple of weeks? I don't know if you dudes have been watching the games, but Del Rio SUCKS. Sorry to be so blunt, but there's almost nothing he does well. Noodle arm, backpedals 20 yards after every snap, etc. I'm flat-out sick and tired of embarrassing QB play.
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion. I just don't think it's the way the people that make a lot of money doing it, see it. So, why get all frustrated about it.. We can do a lot of armchair what ifs, but at this point in the season, the way things are, not happening. Now, the spring should be wide open. If we melt down and go into the toilet the rest of the year, sure, why not.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I don't remember anyone bitching about Danny. There was always the Kiper types that questioned his arm strength and NFL ability, but we (as fans) never cared about that. Even Keith Jackson talked him up as he destroyed the clowns in the Sugar Bowl. Now, I do remember some uneasy reactions in 95 when Kresser killed it (against lsu I think). There were some that didn't like the idea of Kresser transferring and thought that he might be better than Danny. The beatdown against Nebraska didn't help, but Danny put an end to all that thinking in 96. With Tebow, it was similar with all the arm strength and NFL talk, but I don't remember anyone complaining about him. Hell, we don't win against SC east in 06 and no shot at a championship without him. We mostly bitched about Mullen's play calling in those days. There were some fans that bitched about Spurrier in his last days at UF, and it wasn't just the fans. I don't think he appreciated that much. But that's what happens when you raise expectations.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Oh, I get it. Some things just don't bother me as much as they do others. Carry on.
It's not a knock on you aka. I agree with your thinking; but we're discussing hypothetical situations. At this point, I do think that LDR gives us the best chance to win now. And I'm not doubting coach Mac's decision to continue starting him. But some think that we would be better off with more talented frosh and taking some lumps. That was Kirby Smart's decision and you can see where that got him. Now it might pay off for him next year or the year after, but this is a win now game. Hell, a lot of fans (and posters here) are calling for Mac's head. Just imagine if he started a frosh QB and lost some games. It's a tough situation, but do we really have a stud QB that is the future of our program---someone that is worth taking the lumps? I think that Mac knows what he's doing, and there has really been nothing (as of yet) to justify putting him in the same category as chump or zook; they're just completely different situations. As long as Mac is finding a way to get this team to win, and we can see some progression throughout the process, then I will continue to support him. And if can keep winning, then maybe we can improve on recruiting. Mac doesn't have the advantages Zook had or Meyer's name. It's pointless to compare them from a recruiting perspective. He literally has to recreate the Gator brand and needs all the help he can get.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
He is better than Treon but they have to stop him from rolling out backwards 20 yds on every play.

2015 Treon vs. UGA:

8 for 19, 155 yards, 1 TD (we also ran for 258 yards)

2016 Del Rio vs. UGA:

15 for 25, 131 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (we ran for 100 yards)

-----

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
2015 Treon vs. UGA:

8 for 19, 155 yards, 1 TD (we also ran for 258 yards)

2016 Del Rio vs. UGA:

15 for 25, 131 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT (we ran for 100 yards)

-----

So your saying that Treon is a better overall QB than Rio?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
LDR isn't going to put up enough points to give anyone mop up duty. That's probably the biggest problem and why Mac should consider working in one of the freshmen.

That's the problem. In fact, when he got injured vs. North Texas he shouldn't have even been in the game (if he had put up enough points). It was late 3rd quarter and we were up less than 20 points....and he got injured. We need to blowout the teams we're supposed to blowout so our backup players can get valuable game experience. Appleby should have had at least a dozen pass attempts before he started vs. Tennessee. Instead he had 4. That's it. We played UMass, Kentucky, and North Texas and our backup QB got 4 pass attempts. Pathetic!

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Nick De La Torre was asked on twitter during the game about the freshman QBs. He said the only way we burn their redshirt is if LDR and AA get hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator