It's time to start one of the freshman quarterbacks

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Unless, del rio resorts to Treon level of play. He's at least serviceable. He at least has shown he is capable of completing a forward pass of more than 5 yards although his play certainly leaves a lot to be desired at times. It could be better, but it could also be much much worse i.e. the last 6 years of QB play at UF. Here's to hoping his knee heals up and he improves because it is likely he'll start next year as well which would benefit the team due to his experience this year and feel for sec games.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Unless, del rio resorts to Treon level of play. He's at least serviceable. He at least has shown he is capable of completing a forward pass of more than 5 yards although his play certainly leaves a lot to be desired at times. It could be better, but it could also be much much worse i.e. the last 6 years of QB play at UF. Here's to hoping his knee heals up and he improves because it is likely he'll start next year as well which would benefit the team due to his experience this year and feel for sec games.

He is better than Treon but they have to stop him from rolling out backwards 20 yds on every play.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
At this point in the season, with the East in the balance and in our control... no freshman unless everyone else is being wheeled into Shands on a gurney.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
At this point in the season, with the East in the balance and in our control... no freshman unless everyone else is being wheeled into Shands on a gurney.
You guys are that anxious to get throttled by the West? I'm more interested in developing a talented youngster. I want to have a passing game again one day, and we aren't going to have one with LDR.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't extrapolate high school talent to the next level as a sure thing and frankly I don't think any freshman coming in mid season after experiencing the frenzy of pigs, tigers and broken arrows is beating the machine 'Bama. So, I'm interested in team momentum and system buy in than watching youth swirl and possibly grow some. I'm at least happier this year winning with some form of purpose. That being said, next season I'll be ready to watch an apprentice take the reigns and ride the inevitable roller coaster ride again (see Eason).

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are that anxious to get throttled by the West? I'm more interested in developing a talented youngster. I want to have a passing game again one day, and we aren't going to have one with LDR.

Mac has had these freshmen in intense QB raining for several months with EEs. Other schools have true
freshmen starter QBs. So why isn't Trask ready for a few game snaps or a drive ? If he gets intercepted, he'll
be like LDR. But remember in H.S. Trask threw the equivalent of 4 games' worth of passes. He completed 70%
and threw zero interceptions. I'm just saying we have creampuffs we can trial Trask with.? What does having these
QBs do for us if they're never tried ?

If LDR were excelling as a top program's QB, there'd be no grooming of youngsters needed.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I agree and would prefer that Mac worked a few snaps or designed plays for them... no doubt Rog... but the OP seemed to leaning toward replacement of... and I use the term loosely... veteran, mid season when we are on... again loosely... a roll. ;)

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Franks doesn't need to be anywhere near the field until his reworked mechanics are muscle memory. That won't be until next season. You don't want a Bortles situation with him where he reverts back to his old mechanics and turns into a head case. Trask isn't seeing the field because, based on the gator media I follow, the staff doesn't want to waste a year on the guy they view as the future.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Trask isn't seeing the field because, based on the gator media I follow, the staff doesn't want to waste a year on the guy they view as the future.
It actually wouldn't surprise me in the least if the staff considers Trask more our "future" than Franks. I think they love him.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
LDR will be the man the rest of this season as evidenced by nobody else taking snaps since AA did. Freshman won't be on the field this season.

Next year:
AA is gone
LDR is QB1 - despite anything anyone says about open competition, nobody will unseat him based strictly on experience in 'the system'
Trask and Franks - one will emerge as QB2 and get mop up duty, the other is looking at a clipboard career or transfer
Allen - redshirt to learn for a year, not needed so let him develop.

LDR isn't going to put up enough points to give anyone mop up duty. That's probably the biggest problem and why Mac should consider working in one of the freshmen.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Franks doesn't need to be anywhere near the field until his reworked mechanics are muscle memory. That won't be until next season. You don't want a Bortles situation with him where he reverts back to his old mechanics and turns into a head case. Trask isn't seeing the field because, based on the gator media I follow, the staff doesn't want to waste a year on the guy they view as the future.
The future is now. This is as close to controlling our on destiny as we will be for the next 3 years.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
They will all make some mistakes. But you can tell a basic difference by the speed of reaction, finding and hitting the open man, having the arm to get the ball down the field, and the ability to run. When I watch LDR I feel like I'm watching a game in slow motion. Nothing personal, I like the guy, but we need a real QB and we haven't got one. If we had an offense we could dominate the East and challenge the big boys in the West.

It's a rebuilding year. We aren't going to win the NC. If we play up to our potential we can win out until the SECCG and then win our bowl game. That will make us a top 10 (maybe top 5) team. That's the best possible. The freshmen QBs cannot improve on that. After another spring and fall of practice, I believe one of next year's RS QBs will win the starting job. Considering where we were two years ago, we are actually progressing well. Let's show some patience.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Trash hasnt even been getting snaps. The starter LDR gets about 70 percent, backup AA gets maybe 25 percent, and Franks gets 5.

Neither freshman will ever see the field this ear and by some terrible luck one has to, it sure as hell wont be Trash boy. They made that clear when LDR got hurt. It kind of surprised me. I expect he will probably be the emergency next year though bc the wont want to waste a year of Kyle Allen.

Maybe after that year we will have enough depth to send Trash back to Division 3. Its sad wasting a scholarship on that type of player but I guess we had no choice (and didnt have anyone else jumping to take the scholly anyway.)

Last edited:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Saban took it easy on Mac and Nuss last year. We've got the wheels to drive by them this year if he does it again.

Almost fooled myself there with that comment. No. no I didn't. We are going to get ****ing killed

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Link? Pulling things out of your ass doesn't make them true.
302-Animal-House-quotes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator