Jags fire Urban Meyer

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just embarrassing for Meyer and his legacy but he's probably got 50 million dollars in the bank so I can't feel too bad for him when this country is going broke. He's got three national championships too. He may very well work again in college or ESPN part Deux. ;)

The person I blame most for this is the owner Kahn. man does he suck. Lol. He may be even be worse than Wayne Weaver. Never bringing in Tebow and yet making us suffer through Chad Henne and Blaine Gabbert for years. Then when Tebow finally gets to the Jaguars they treat him like a mascot or something as a third-string tight end instead of a short-yardage package quarterback. Even just making the team as a third-string quarterback would have enabled Tim to help clean out the locker room and bring some character to a locker room devoid of it.

Oh yeah and the owner brought in that turd from San Francisco to run the franchise into the ground for like five years. It's a miracle they almost made the Super Bowl one year.

Watch them go hire Jon Gruden now. ;) well he is really good with young quarterbacks.

Unless Kahn wants this to just go away, and if you're talking about the rest of his contract; he's not getting it all. Not even close. He's done the for cause act (provable) at least two times, probably three. I know this almost for sure because I have someone inside the administration who told me, and collectively they are pissed. No this was not someone who told someone who told their grandma, who told me. So again, if Kahn's damage control radar is just get it over with, maybe. Otherwise there will be some tough discussions. And we may never hear about it.

I don't think this is the Urban we knew. Yeah he was a bit of a jerk. But I really think he's lost some of his marbles. He was never dumb. This stuff is just dumb.

Last edited:

Lost_in_Turlington4ever

Dec 14, 2021
Is there a worse NFL team to be a fan of than Jacksonville? As someone who is a fan of teams who are historically bad (good time to be a Tampa native) it can feel completely hopeless forever, but things can change shockingly quick.

Meyer is clearly a two-faced narcissist who is very good at manipulating people and bullying, which meant his BS always imploded eventually at whatever college he was at. In the NFL it had no chance at all.

What is great about our current coach is he appears to be the exact opposite, which could lead to real long term success.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know this almost for sure because I have someone inside the administration who told me, and collectively they are pissed. No this was not someone who told someone who told their grandma, who told me.

What else do you know 46? Not just about Urbs but the Jags in general. Us fans want to know. Spare nothing.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Until Trent Baalke is fired I do not care who the next coach is. It is meaningless because he will be set up to fail by Ballke's trash drafting.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Is there a worse NFL team to be a fan of than Jacksonville? As someone who is a fan of teams who are historically bad (good time to be a Tampa native) it can feel completely hopeless forever, but things can change shockingly quick.

Meyer is clearly a two-faced narcissist who is very good at manipulating people and bullying, which meant his BS always imploded eventually at whatever college he was at. In the NFL it had no chance at all.

What is great about our current coach is he appears to be the exact opposite, which could lead to real long term success.

I think any place where you're also sitting in the bitter cold while witnessing your team's futility would likely be worse. Off the top of my head, Cleveland and Cincy have to be miserable and probably atop any list. Detroit gets saved by being in a dome, but I know a few Lions fans and it's a tough life, so they're probably in the mix also. As bad as the Bucs were, and Jags and Dolphins currently are, at least you're probably enjoying the game for the most part and can generally enjoy a good life around it. Tough to imagine those other 3 teams' fans have much to be happy about by around midseason.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What else do you know 46? Not just about Urbs but the Jags in general. Us fans want to know. Spare nothing.
That's about it. I keep this guy as friend by not asking every five seconds what's going on with the Jags. He hears that all day from people he doesn't know. He offered this information and then I started asking questions.

Look I follow the team. I want them to win. But I really don't care about the NFL. I can get free tickets. (That doesn't count for much now. Because anybody can snag a ticket for a buck). I don't go to the games, except during the one season they were on a run. Then I went to a few games.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don't think this is the Urban we knew. Yeah he was a bit of a jerk. But I really think he's lost some of his marbles. He was never dumb. This stuff is just dumb.

He was never mentally equipped to handle this level of dysfunction. To his credit, each stop throughout his head coaching career has been strategically poised to be quickly turned around. He knows(or at least knew) that he couldn't mentally handle losing and chose accordingly until this venture. Aside from his psychology approach not working on adults with millions, there being no Uk/Vandy type breathers on the schedule, and the fact that he was never going to have a wealth of talent that others couldn't match(for long), its his disdain for losing that was never going to translate to the NFL. So yeah, he loses it and turns into an emotional disaster when things go south.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's about it. I keep this guy as friend by not asking every five seconds what's going on with the Jags. He hears that all day from people he doesn't know. He offered this information and then I started asking questions.

Look I follow the team. I want them to win. But I really don't care about the NFL. I can get free tickets. (That doesn't count for much now. Because anybody can snag a ticket for a buck). I don't go to the games, except during the one season they were on a run. Then I went to a few games.

I get it and don't expect that type of behavior about asking every 5 minutes. You just don't do that. Thought there might be more juice, not just about Meyer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just curious. If you could wave a magic wand that made it possible to replace Napier with Meyer, would you do it?

My own answer? No.

Last edited:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Just curious. If you could waive a magic wand that made it possible to replace Napier with Meyer, would you do it?

My own answer? No.

I doubt we’d get the same guy who was here before, so no. Plus, CBN appears to be moving us in the right direction.

If we still had mullen? I’d take a damaged urbs over that lazy bum.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I doubt we’d get the same guy who was here before, so no. Plus, CBN appears to be moving us in the right direction.

If we still had mullen? I’d take a damaged urbs over that lazy bum.

Interesting that you used the word “damaged” in front of his name. Never mind the person. Is he any more damaged as a football coach now compared to, say, five or 10 years ago?

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Until Trent Baalke is fired I do not care who the next coach is. It is meaningless because he will be set up to fail by Ballke's trash drafting.
I forgot he's got the job. Is he another 49er fuk up? Lol.

What is it with this franchise has love affair with the San Francisco people? Does mr. Khan think because they have great wine out there that will spill over to in football? ;)

Was it just three freaking years ago the Jaguars almost made the Super Bowl? 4? They fell fast.

But it may be worse being a Jets fan.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014

So it's worse being a Jets fan I grew up being a Jets fan. I mean they try and try year after year and decade after decade and the result is nothing.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
Unless Kahn just wants this to just go away, and if you're talking about the rest of his contract; he's not getting it all. Not even close. He's done the for cause act (provable) at least two times, probably three. I know this almost for sure because I have someone inside the administration who told me, and collectively they are pissed. No this was not someone who told someone who told their grandma, who told me. So again, if Kahn's damage control radar is just get it over with, maybe. Otherwise there will be some tough discussions. And we may never hear about it.

Not getting it all is one thing but he'll probably end up with about half which would be what 15 or 20 million dollars for 13 freaking games?

This is a stain on the Jacksonville Jaguar organization and it does need to go away. Urban we'll have a hard time rehabilitating himself but it can be done far worse people have done far worse and come back from.

Good points all around especially about how Meyer was in college would not work with multi-millionaire professionals. I keep wanting Nick Saban to go back to the NFL but he never will because he basically has the NFL light with Alabama and he gets the money and they'll never have a bad year.

Maybe if Meyer kept Tim on the roster Urban would not have been out of control. Again what happened to him he brought on himself and that's all on Urban. But they say time heals all wounds and he could be back on the sidelines in a couple years somewhere.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
I have to admit, I knew he would flame out there but this is faster than I thought. Saban lasted a year at Miami and went 6-10 and I figured Urbs would do the same, maybe 2 years. I even remember arguing with @oxrageous about it.

I still think he's done being a coach for awhile. Who would touch him at this point? Maybe a TV gig for a couple years and then a job somewhere but that seems a long way off. He screwed this up at worst possible time, he could have been making $10-11 million as a college coach right now but he took the Jags job too soon.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Interesting that you used the word “damaged” in front of his name. Never mind the person. Is he any more damaged as a football coach now compared to, say, five or 10 years ago?

Don’t know for sure. Maybe the damage is simply more visible than it was 10 years ago?

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
If Meyer knows anything, it’s how to do damage control. He’ll do what he always does after he embarrasses himself. He’ll temporarily retreat from the public eye, resurface on a college football TV panel and be back on the coaching market in time for the 2023 season.

You don’t just permanently disappear after three national titles unless it’s due to Alzheimer’s.

He's not finished Embarassing himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator