Jeff Driskel's (Bulldog turned Bengal) last game?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Last I checked it's not Urbans job to get them ready for the NFL but to win in college. How's he done there?

I agree but he has a point that Urban's QB recruits are not necessarily guys geared toward NFL play. I think Alex Smith was already on the roster when Meyer got to Utah. Cam has done alright I guess.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Last I checked it's not Urbans job to get them ready for the NFL but to win in college. How's he done there?

Last time I checked, he sponsored an annual Pro Day on the OSU campus, he had hired assistants with a combined 31 years of NFL experience and he had a big rep for development NFL players at all positions but QB. The last I checked, OSU recruits cited that grooming success as one of the compelling reasons why they came to play for Meyer.

You're out of your mind if you think even Meyer himself doesn't weigh huge importance on getting his players ready for the next level.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Any coach in major D1 ball that isn't preparing players, particularly QB and WR for the NFL won't last long in coaching.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Any coach in major D1 ball that isn't preparing players, particularly QB and WR for the NFL won't last long in coaching.
The NFL is regularly outspoken about the lack of talent and preparation for any QB coming out of D1 college. I don't believe Meyer is the only coach in D1. Can't think of any D1 actively developing consistent talent for the NFL at this position.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
The NFL is regularly outspoken about the lack of talent and preparation for any QB coming out of D1 college. I don't believe Meyer is the only coach in D1. Can't think of any D1 actively developing consistent talent for the NFL at this position.
Well....since you can't think of any, it must be true.
Much of the problem with the transitioning from QB in college to the NFL is there is no way to bridge that huge gap. Pitching in college and pitching in MLB is a good comparison IMO. Many kids drafted out of college and most all of those out of HS spend time developing at club level before being called up, the NFL doesn't really have that. So....they have to take their lumps early and learn or sit a few years. Most of the QB's drafted that are considered ready struggle early or end up on a sorry ass team. Look at Luck for instance, he was going to be the next Manning, problem is he has very little talent around him. Dak wouldn't have been nearly as successful on the Jags, jets or Browns and getting drafted by any of those 3 is a death sentence. Carr on the other hand, on a team with some talent, same for Cousins.

I'm gonna go off the reservation for a minute and put myself in the line of fire. Most of what is wrong with the QB position is something people are afraid to speak about. In the last 10-15 years the media and the usual talking heads have whined about not having enough black QB's so they have forced the issue. Problem is most of the one's in college are GREAT athletes that run a versatile offense like the spread or whatever you want to call it. There isn't a lot to read, some but not nearly as much as pro ball. Tons of defensive formations, stunts, disguised coverage and so forth. College coaches run the off. they do because it's exciting and hard to defend but it isn't preparing many of the QB's, regardless of color for the typical NFL offense. Right now the NFL is in a transitional state and one in which it is going to have to decide what it wants to do.

They can't run a college offense because the QB's cant take the punishment at the level and many of the coaches have already spoken about certain QB's having to learn to stay in the pocket and stay downfield. I could go down the list but you get my meaning (think RGIII).
As a disclaimer, I am NOT saying that black college QB's can't learn the NFL system and be successful, I am saying that aren't be asked to in college. But if there coaches have them thinking that they are, that's all they need to hear.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Much of the problem with the transitioning from QB in college to the NFL is there is no way to bridge that huge gap. Pitching in college and pitching in MLB is a good comparison IMO. Many kids drafted out of college and most all of those out of HS spend time developing at club level before being called up, the NFL doesn't really have that. So....they have to take their lumps early and learn or sit a few years. Most of the QB's drafted that are considered ready struggle early or end up on a sorry ass team. Look at Luck for instance, he was going to be the next Manning, problem is he has very little talent around him. Dak wouldn't have been nearly as successful on the Jags, jets or Browns and getting drafted by any of those 3 is a death sentence. Carr on the other hand, on a team with some talent, same for Cousins.

I'm gonna go off the reservation for a minute and put myself in the line of fire. Most of what is wrong with the QB position is something people are afraid to speak about. In the last 10-15 years the media and the usual talking heads have whined about not having enough black QB's so they have forced the issue. Problem is most of the one's in college are GREAT athletes that run a versatile offense like the spread or whatever you want to call it. There isn't a lot to read, some but not nearly as much as pro ball. Tons of defensive formations, stunts, disguised coverage and so forth. College coaches run the off. they do because it's exciting and hard to defend but it isn't preparing many of the QB's, regardless of color for the typical NFL offense. Right now the NFL is in a transitional state and one in which it is going to have to decide what it wants to do.

They can't run a college offense because the QB's cant take the punishment at the level and many of the coaches have already spoken about certain QB's having to learn to stay in the pocket and stay downfield. I could go down the list but you get my meaning (think RGIII).
As a disclaimer, I am NOT saying that black college QB's can't learn the NFL system and be successful, I am saying that aren't be asked to in college. But if there coaches have them thinking that they are, that's all they need to hear.
When did Tolstoy join the board?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There are almost no coaches in college preparing their QBs for the NFL.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm not sure if anyone watched the skins/bengals game today. The announcers said the bengals coaching staff had to teach Driskel how to run a huddle, call plays, and that is was ok to throw the ball down the field. Where do you think he got the twisted idea that it is bad for a QB to throw the ball down the field? F*** Chump and his archaic, shyte coaching. I hope someone castrates him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure if anyone watched the skins/bengals game today. The announcers said the bengals coaching staff had to teach Driskel how to run a huddle, call plays, and that is was ok to throw the ball down the field. Where do you think he got the twisted idea that it is bad for a QB to throw the ball down the field? F*** Chump and his archaic, shyte coaching. I hope someone castrates him.
This isn't the first QB they've had that came off the Saban tree, and he certainly isn't the only one being taught to take the short safe throw and "take what the defense gives them."

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There are almost no coaches in college preparing their QBs for the NFL.
This is pretty much true. Are there any colleges/coaches with multiple starting QBs in the NFL right now? Think about where some of these guys came from.

Matt Ryan - BC
Cam Newton - UF, JC, Auburn
Aaron Rodgers - Cal
Kirk Cousins - Michigan St.
Russell Wilson - NCSU/Wisconsin
Rapeis - FSU
Joe Flacco - Delaware Blue Hens
Carson Wentz - North Dakota St.
Blake Bortles - UCF
Ryan Tannehill - TAMU
Derek Carr - Fresno St.
Marcus Mariota - Oregon
Dak Prescott - Miss St.
Andy Dalton - TCU

Random assortment of coaches and programs right there, and those are just off the top of my head.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
DIRensLUQAAxgxq.jpg

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Warpt Piece ?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lynden Trail is in the NFL? Wow.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bring Driskel to Jax!
I agree. He'd be perfect to continue their suckage. Still ran morethan he passed vs Injuns. He will always panick and run first.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
He was stating the obvious but sometimes you need to. This is it for dummies. The spread offense and the QBs that run it struggle to transfer this to the pros. And your QB in the NFL is too valuable to be hit that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.