Jeff Stoutland to UF rumors

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Just ran across this on another board and found it interesting. Makes alot of sense and I hope it happens!

I was told Soutland and the Eagles will likely part ways and that Stoutland was given permission to speak to Florida". He has not commented since, but I'll keep checking it out. Wouldn't pay much attention to it except when I looked him up, he was the OL coach for Mac at Michigan State for a few years, again at Alabama in 2010-2011, and was also the OL coach for Randy Shannon when he was the HC at Miami. Would also make sense from a timing perspective.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting.
Should at least be an upgrade from what we have, if true of course.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Another rumor, from another board...

Interesting name just floated out there by an Eagles guy.....
12:42 PM
Message board stuff, but this guy seems to have some pretty legit info concerning the Eagles on this NFL board I get info off of for fantasy football purposes. He said: "Jeff Stoutland, Eagles OL coach, possibly speaking to Florida? I was told Soutland and the Eagles will likely part ways and that Stoutland was given permission to speak to Florida". He has not commented since, but I'll keep checking it out. Wouldn't pay much attention to it except when I looked him up, he was the OL coach for Mac at Michigan State for a few years, again at Alabama in 2010-2011, and was also the OL coach for Randy Shannon when he was the HC at Miami. Would also make sense from a timing perspective.
Already brought up I this thread.
http://gatorchatter.com/threads/report-a-new-hire-has-already-been-made.12916/page-2
However, OP in this thread states the coach is working a bowl game.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
His record in college:

1997-1999 - Syracuse 24-13
2000-2006 - Michigan State 38-45
2007-2010 - Miami 28-23
2011-2012 - Alabama 25-2

In 20011-12, with the best recruits in the country, he excelled. His other three stays: pretty pedestrian. Which goes back to my post on Were Mac's critics right? Page 5. Top 1-5 recruiting classes make coaches look better than 15-25 classes.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Can he recruit? Nothing else matters at this point.
Lets put it this way: Jeff Stoutland, in his career, signed 5 players ranked in the national top 20, and 6 players in the top 3 at their position.
Mike Summers, in his career, signed 2 players ranked in the national top 20, and 2 players in the top 3 at their position

Plus Stoutland is a way better coach. Enough said!

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Lets put it this way: Jeff Stoutland, in his career, signed 5 players ranked in the national top 20, and 6 players in the top 3 at their position.
Mike Summers, in his career, signed 2 players ranked in the national top 20, and 2 players in the top 3 at their position

Plus Stoutland is a way better coach. Enough said!

Without links, I'm assuming you mean during Jeff's 2 year stint with Alabama. What did Alabama recruit 4 years prior and 4 years after? If the results are comparable, I will offer that Jeff happened to be there when it happened. He certainly did not recruit that way in his stints with 'Cuse, Mich State and Miami.

Better coach? Sure. But if the recruits for OL don't get better, it won't matter. On the trail, he'll say the same thing: I was at Bama with Mac and we did...yadiyadiyada. Worked well so far :-P Maybe the NFL pitch can add to the shtick...

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Without links, I'm assuming you mean during Jeff's 2 year stint with Alabama. What did Alabama recruit 4 years prior and 4 years after? If the results are comparable, I will offer that Jeff happened to be there when it happened. He certainly did not recruit that way in his stints with 'Cuse, Mich State and Miami.

Better coach? Sure. But if the recruits for OL don't get better, it won't matter. On the trail, he'll say the same thing: I was at Bama with Mac and we did...yadiyadiyada. Worked well so far :p Maybe the NFL pitch can add to the shtick...

You havent posted here in a while

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like this guy could be a solid hire. From what we are hearing on the recruiting trail with Sommers, this guy would be an upgrade. If he can engage with players, energetic, and coach.......huge upgrade.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe he could help with recruiting after all. He seems to know what it takes sometimes. :D

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2013/01/report_alabama_o-line_coach_je.html

TUSCALOOSA, Alabama -- Alabama offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland has cooperated with the NCAA and could avoid harsh sanctions for his involvement in the University of Miami scandal, according to a Palm Beach Post report.
The newspaper, citing an anonymous source, reports that the former Miami assistant "may avoid tough penalties because of his cooperation with the NCAA in the Nevin Shapiro case."

Various reports have indicated that other former Miami assistants won't be so lucky.

CBSSports.com reported Monday that Clint Hurtt, now at Louisville, and Aubrey Hill, who resigned from Florida at the start of the 2012 season, both will likely be charged with "unethical conduct" for their respective roles in a scandal that has embroiled the Hurricanes program since Yahoo! Sports exposed it more than a year ago.

Stoutland, who joined Alabama's staff in 2011 after four years at Miami, was alleged by Yahoo! to be present when Shapiro, a former rogue booster who now sits in jail for orchestrating a $930 million Ponzi scheme, made impermissible contact at Shapiro's mansion with offensive line recruit Matt Patchan in the summer of 2007. Also present, according to Yahoo!, was Alabama director of football operations Joe Pannunzio, a former Miami assistant who was alleged to have a close relationship with Shapiro in Yahoo!'s report.

The Palm Beach Post's report made no mention of Pannunzio.

Stoutland was the only Alabama assistant coach not to receive a raise after the 2011 season. He makes $395,000 per year.

“I think as a university we make decisions because we think it’s the right thing to do,” Saban said in March 2012. “In the future, I think Jeff Stoutland deserves to get a raise based on the merit of the work that he’s done here, but I also think it wouldn’t be smart on our part to ignore other things that have happened. So, it is what it is."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If this hire happens, this will be the 5th coach w/ direct Saban ties on the staff (not counting support staff).

I want to know why the F*ck the recruiting model isn't exactly as it is at Bama (see the story about the HS QB coming to our camp thread).

Also, for those who think Alabama (and everyone else) is paying players....and we aren't: again, we have 4 current direct Saban assistants on our staff (including Collins). If they are paying....so are we.

Better coach? Sure. But if the recruits for OL don't get better, it won't matter. On the trail, he'll say the same thing: I was at Bama with Mac and we did...yadiyadiyada. Worked well so far :p Maybe the NFL pitch can add to the shtick...

Good points. I'd argue that when you coach at Alabama you're recruiting a different type of player than at Syracuse & Michigan State (Miami goes after similar talent). To the point though, is that this guy has the experience of recruiting those types of players. Hopefully he'll be better at selling UF than Summers has been. As far as his coaching goes, I don't think Summers is any better than what the OL coach at Miss State, Vandy, Ole Miss, UCF, or any other program has. I think we need an upgrade there. I think the guy is old and has lost his mojo; time for him to move on.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If this hire happens, this will be the 5th coach w/ direct Saban ties on the staff (not counting support staff).

I want to know why the F*ck the recruiting model isn't exactly as it is at Bama (see the story about the HS QB coming to our camp thread).

Also, for those who think Alabama (and everyone else) is paying players....and we aren't: again, we have 4 current direct Saban assistants on our staff (including Collins). If they are paying....so are we.

Good points. I'd argue that when you coach at Alabama you're recruiting a different type of player than at Syracuse & Michigan State (Miami goes after similar talent). To the point though, is that this guy has the experience of recruiting those types of players. Hopefully he'll be better at selling UF than Summers has been. As far as his coaching goes, I don't think Summers is any better than what the OL coach at Miss State, Vandy, Ole Miss, UCF, or any other program has. I think we need an upgrade there. I think the guy is old and has lost his mojo; time for him to move on.

I think most people knew Miami was paying players then and that Bama has shady mess going on but I guess Bama hasn't been nailed for anything in recent years. As far as our assistants it may just be they dont have connections to that stuff because we run a tight ship when it comes to boosters and the rest supposedly. I dont put anything past the connections to Auburn and Bama and schools like that.

I do think this issue with us is a lot more than shady mess by other teams however but its funny how Ole Miss has dropped like a rock in recruiting since the NCAA started watching them.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think most people knew Miami was paying players then and that Bama has shady mess going on but I guess Bama hasn't been nailed for anything in recent years. As far as our assistants it may just be they dont have connections to that stuff because we run a tight ship when it comes to boosters and the rest supposedly. I dont put anything past the connections to Auburn and Bama and schools like that.

I do think this issue with us is a lot more than shady mess by other teams however but its funny how Ole Miss has dropped like a rock in recruiting since the NCAA started watching them.

Although it is widely known that Bama pays their players, I am not sure that any of the coaches are directly involved.

Paying players is so ingrained in the culture at Bama that it is in their DNA now and is managed completely by "friends of the program" more so than coaches. It really doesn't matter who coaches at Bama, they will continue to pay the players. I do agree that most, if not all schools, pay players but it is an art form at Bama.
When you consider this fact and the success that Bama has had and continues to have, I am not impressed by the recruiting ability of any member of Saban's staff. How hard is it to pitch the top program in the country, a strong chance to play for championships, an NFL future with any real level of performance, and a rabid fan base that will ensure that your life and the lives of your family will be "greatly enhanced" for the next four years.
You could teach monkeys to sell that.

If he is a good teacher, he is an upgrade but let's not kid ourselves from a recruiting standpoint.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Don't we have some guy that the Saints fired on our staff who is supposed to take over for Summers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator