Jim McElwain expected to accept Florida head coaching job

Status
Not open for further replies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n123790 said:
Why would McElwain agree to that kind of buyout in the first place?

I said earlier that, if this ends up being a deal breaker, his agent has failed him. No coach is going to all but guarantee that he has to stay at a place like CSU for that long. In many respects, given the fact that he makes money off his clients' contract increases, the agent screwed himself as well.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n123795 said:
I said earlier that, if this ends up being a deal breaker, his agent has failed him. No coach is going to all but guarantee that he has to stay at a place like CSU for that long. In many respects, given the fact that he makes money off his clients' contract increases, the agent screwed himself as well.

:highfive:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123796 said:
So we dont want to pay Freeze and extra $700K a year. But will fine with paying a $5MM buyout..

That's not what my comment is saying vatara, but nice try.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
GatorJ;n123787 said:
If Baylor and Michigan State can pay top dollar for their coaches, Nebraska's not going to have an issue competing against us in salary.

But those guys got increases once they proved themselves at those schools. The idea of paying 7 million, plus your current HC's buyout, before you even get into actually paying him, is a lot considering what JM has done up to this point. There is always the chance that he doesn't do well, and you're staring at yest another buyout in 4-5 years. That's the difference, to me.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n123799 said:
But those guys got increases once they proved themselves at those schools. The idea of paying 7 million, plus your current HC's buyout, before you even get into actually paying him, is a lot considering what JM has done up to this point. There is always the chance that he doesn't do well, and you're staring at yest another buyout in 4-5 years. That's the difference, to me.

$7.5 Million, plus $3.5-$4 Million a year for a partially unknown coach? Any business man is going to question that.

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
soflagator;n123795 said:

His agent is some guy named Jimmy Sexton....

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
oxrageous;n123790 said:
Why would McElwain agree to that kind of buyout in the first place?

That's the $7.5m question. I posted a few weeks ago that I found the figure hard to believe but to my astonishment it was. Coaches have held the cards for years in the negotiations with universities. I believe Jimmy Sexton is McElwain's agent so how CSU was able to get this past him is a real head scratcher. I'm still flabbergasted. It's the CSU job, it's not a high profile place like Texas, Bama, Ohio State,etc.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
If CSU doesnt budge, **** em. Move on to the next one. Holding back a coach's career wont do CSU any favors when it comes time to hire their next coach, nor will it help the relationship with their current coach. Sounds like Foley tried to be reasonable, cant fault him that the same cant be said about CSU.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n123812 said:
If CSU doesnt budge, **** em. Move on to the next one. Holding back a coach's career wont do CSU any favors when it comes time to hire their next coach, nor will it help the relationship with their current coach. Sounds like Foley tried to be reasonable, cant fault him that the same cant be said about CSU.

I gotta agree.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Colorado State's playing hardball by insisting their $7.5 mill be paid in full by UF. If they continue with this stance, here's what they're left with; none of the $7.5 million and a disgruntled coach who missed out on his dream job because his employer was holding him hostage.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone for a buyout sandwich? Foley apparently doesn't like the taste of his.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n123816 said:
Colorado State's playing hardball by insisting their $7.5 mill be paid in full by UF. If they continue with this stance, here's what they're left with; none of the $7.5 million and a disgruntled coach who missed out on his dream job because his employer was holding him hostage.

Michigan just might be desperate enough to pay it. We'll see what happens over the next couple days.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Gatoravatara;n123811 said:
Why didnt Foley work on the buyout first? Call CSU first and see if you can work through the buyout first. Then after you figuered that out, then fly to CSU.

I don't know. What you suggested seems like the smart way to approach it. I'll check with my Bull Gator friend and see if he has any information.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
The Original DC;n123816 said:
:exactly:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n123811 said:
Why didnt Foley work on the buyout first? Call CSU first and see if you can work through the buyout first. Then after you figuered that out, then fly to CSU.

Simple. Because he needed to go eyeball to eyeball with the man he was interested in before he knew whether it was worth the trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator