Jim McElwain : Nick Saban = Nick Saban : Urban Meyer?

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So, as I was thinking about some of the recruiting success we are having in the state of Alabama, now that we're "relevant" again, I began to wonder if Saban is feeling the pressure from Coach Mac that Urban did from Saban back in 08-09. Does Saban see the writing on the wall and not want to deal with the difficulties of staying on top at this time in his life? I think the last couple years have begun to wear on Saban, and his nerves, and he might see this as an opportunity to enjoy retirement.

Who knows, but I thought it would be interesting to hear the peanut galleries opinions.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Saban has been hearing how the dynasty is falling for a couple of years now.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure what Saban will do. I am sure with his ego he can't stand that he didn't do much in the NFL as a head coach. It wouldn't surprise me if he tries that out one more time no matter if Bama wins another championship or not in the next few years.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I don't think this is the case. I think Saban wants the challenge. He jumped from Mich St to LSU - a step up in competition year in and year out. He jumped from LSU to the NFL - a step up to see if you can perform at the highest level....he couldn't. So, in returning to college ranks, where did he go? Alabama. A school with some of the highest expectations on a program, but also the resources to achieve that level of success. He came back to the toughest conference, to a program that will accept nothing less than another NC every year or two, and has for the most part been successful.

I think he's having a bit of a down year, which is bound to happen to everyone, but he'll still end up with 9-11 wins. He'll still keep AL at the top of the SC discussions and mentioned in the CFP year after year. The fact that JMac, one off his own tree, is taking talent from his state isn't an issue - AL takes "TOP" talent from around the nation, they can't get everyone and can stop in-state talent from going elsewhere, even to a competitor. The fact that JMac is being successful I would think does two things for Saban. For one, he may have a bit of pride in that someone he helped along their career is being successful as it reflects well on what Saban has done in the past. More than that, I think Saban sees a new challenge on the horizon, a means of focusing his efforts and his program to not just maintain status quo but to adjust to the new dynamic in order to stay on top. I think he likes it. Until now, he's been watching Les eat grass, Hugh gather talent but under perform, Dan have a string of good luck that can push Saban but not really challenge him. Basically everyone in the SECWest has been good, but not (consistently) great so while it has been a tough job to win it regularly, it hasn't truly challenged him - certainly not in any new way. As for the SECEast, it's been more of a cupcake schedule for him the past few years. Now, finally, he might actually have someone that can push him.

I don't think he's worn out. I think he's tired of succeeding with the best competition he could find and is excited to have a new challenge.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n294072 said:
Not sure what Saban will do. I am sure with his ego he can't stand that he didn't do much in the NFL as a head coach. It wouldn't surprise me if he tries that out one more time no matter if Bama wins another championship or not in the next few years.

I think he will make another run like Carroll did.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure Satan is quaking in his boots at the mere mention of the Gators

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n294081 said:
I'm sure Satan is quaking in his boots at the mere mention of the Gators
Who isn't though, really.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n294084 said:
Fournette, for starters.
Pfft. That's because he hasn't been bitch slapped yet. He's in for a world of hurt next week.

:beating:

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Mac does drive Saban to retirement, Bama will just offer Mac the world to be their new HC.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Saban : Meyer = Can a wife make a long distance 911 call from Columbus, Ohio?
Saban : Meyer = From Ceiling to Floor ?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n294084 said:
Fournette, for starters.
It's easy to stop a RB who doesn't have a QB. Simple game plan. Put them all in the box.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n294100 said:
If Mac does drive Saban to retirement, Bama will just offer Mac the world to be their new HC.

Why would Mac go backwards?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n294125 said:
Why would Mac go backwards?
Maybe he misses trailers and the 1950s?

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
Saban made a comment earlier this year regarding the dolphins gig, that if the brass of the dolphins let him get Brees like he wanted then things may have been much different. It had the feeling of him cracking open the door to the NFL again.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ItsDookie87;n294133 said:
Saban made a comment earlier this year regarding the dolphins gig, that if the brass of the dolphins let him get Brees like he wanted then things may have been much different. It had the feeling of him cracking open the door to the NFL again.

Thats actually really interesting. I havent really thought he was going to go back to the NFL and kinda figured he walked away thinking he just wasnt suited for the pro's but if what you are attributing to him is accurate, then maybe he does have an itch. If he thinks he failed b/c he was pigeonholed into something he didnt want/like verses just thinking he couldnt cut it, well then thats an entirely different ball game.

Personally, i still think he retires at bama but who knows. Either way, I think offensive coaches have figured out how to attack his defenses, and teams are emulating his recruiting model which is why bama isnt dominating like they were his first 4 or 5 seasons. Instead of understanding that offenses have adapted and following suit defensively, he whines about speed of the game and what not. The refusal to adapt will probably keep him from winning as big as he did his first few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator