Jim McElwain : Nick Saban = Nick Saban : Urban Meyer?

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Durty South Swamp;n294143 said:
Thats actually really interesting. I havent really thought he was going to go back to the NFL and kinda figured he walked away thinking he just wasnt suited for the pro's but if what you are attributing to him is accurate, then maybe he does have an itch. If he thinks he failed b/c he was pigeonholed into something he didnt want/like verses just thinking he couldnt cut it, well then thats an entirely different ball game.

Personally, i still think he retires at bama but who knows. Either way, I think offensive coaches have figured out how to attack his defenses, and teams are emulating his recruiting model which is why bama isnt dominating like they were his first 4 or 5 seasons. Instead of understanding that offenses have adapted and following suit defensively, he whines about speed of the game and what not. The refusal to adapt will probably keep him from winning as big as he did his first few years.

The quote is actually in this article, his exact words are "if we'd had Drew Brees, I might still be in Miami."​ So a little different but I still get the same vibe.

AlexDaGator

The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
We've never recruited Alabama well. Georgia, the Carolinas, even Mississippi and Louisiana, but not so much Alabama.

Chad Jackson (did you know his middle name was Wolfgang?) stands out in my memory as one that played well for us. He had one great season under Zook, then left early for the NFL. I think he set the Gator record for receptions in a season that year.

Not too many others.

Dee Finley was a highly rated recruit out of Alabama but he was a bust.

I'd love to get some good players out of Alabama. Not only help us, but maybe put a dent in 'Bama and Auburn. I'm sick of those guys coming down to Florida and getting great players (Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Trent Richardson, etc.).

All that said, SLOW DOWN. Coach Mac hasn't won anything yet. I hardly think Saban or Miles or Malzahn are shaking in their boots.

Once we beat them in Atlanta and win the SEC, maybe that changes. Right now, we're just the flavor of the week.

Alex.

Swamp Donkey

7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
AlexDaGator;n294149 said:
I'm sick of those guys coming down to Florida and getting great players (Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, Trent Richardson, etc.)
This. A lot of this.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Man, we're 5 games into Mac's first season here and some if you have annoited him Saban/Meyer status and already have him getting an NFL head coaching job. :facepalm:

ufgator812

Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
GatorTAG;294178 said:
Man, we're 5 games into Mac's first season here and some if you have annoited him Saban/Meyer status and already have him getting an NFL head coaching job. :facepalm:

It's better than wondering if the smell will shampoo out of the carpets.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
I'm pretty sure no one is anointing him yet but just stating that we are rising much quicker than anticipated. That IF we can maintain this upward trend that we will be a scary team.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Way too early to put McElwain up there with Saban and Meyer.

I think we can say this however:

SOS : Fat Phil = Coach Mac : Botch

AlexDaGator;n294149 said:
Not too many others.

Solomon Patton was a nice little player out of Alabama. He was no Chad Jackson, but a good Gator nonetheless.

As to the thread, let's pump the brakes on Mac being to Saban what Saban was to Urban, at least until Mac's locking down 1-3 rated recruiting classes on an annual basis (or after he stomps on Tide neck in Atlanta).

I Have No Friends :(

Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
playzwtrux;n294058 said:
So, as I was thinking about some of the recruiting success we are having in the state of Alabama, now that we're "relevant" again, I began to wonder if Saban is feeling the pressure from Coach Mac that Urban did from Saban back in 08-09. Does Saban see the writing on the wall and not want to deal with the difficulties of staying on top at this time in his life? I think the last couple years have begun to wear on Saban, and his nerves, and he might see this as an opportunity to enjoy retirement.

Who knows, but I thought it would be interesting to hear the peanut galleries opinions.

Only one coach in the history of college football has ever faked a heart attack to run away from competition he was scared of. I'll let you figure out who that was, but suffice it to say that Coach Saban will retire when he's ready to walk away from the game for good and not because he's crying in the fetal position on his bedroom floor over another coach.

Remember, when it comes to college football coaches for over the last 100 years, there are men and then there is one guy hiding behind his wife's skirt with butterflies in his widdle tummy. If you can remember that, these types of questions will always answer themselves.

AlexDaGator

The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
I Have No Friends :(;294346 said:
Only one coach in the history of college football has ever faked a heart attack to run away from competition he was scared of. I'll let you figure out who that was, but suffice it to say that Coach Saban will retire when he's ready to walk away from the game for good and not because he's crying in the fetal position on his bedroom floor over another coach.

Remember, when it comes to college football coaches for over the last 100 years, there are men and then there is one guy hiding behind his wife's skirt with butterflies in his widdle tummy. If you can remember that, these types of questions will always answer themselves.

No friends? More like no chill!

Alex.

NavetG8r

Stupid
Lifetime Member
I Have No Friends :(;n294346 said:

You know, people who don't know you might think you don't care much for one guy.

Saban is 64. And supremely accomplished. He has no need to keep achieving (sorry, SOS!). Saban would (or should) probably retire and enjoy his salad days....

Mac is younger. Still hungry. And on the rise.

Urban no longer matters. (Well, maybe, or not, because his team plays in the girls' league). Even so, Meyer is inconsequential in the overall scheme of things. He won't be on our radar in two years. Urban Meyer is a pussy. FACT. He'll fail, as well he should.

I, for one, am totally happy that the SEC is back, in a big way. It's better to understand the devil we know (Saban), than the devil we don't. And truly, who better to know that basic truth? Obviously, Chimpy McStupid didn't quite comprehend the lessons he learned. Oops. Good luck at the Barn, Chimpy!

I believe college ball will belong to the SEC for a very long time. Rightly so.

It's all good.

GatorBart

:bandit:
Lifetime Member
I Have No Friends :(;n294346 said:

:violin: but you made me laugh, so I'll give you a like, but I'm not your friend. :bart:

Bernardo de la Paz

Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Father time will take care of Saban. He's undefeated. As for coach Mac, let's let him accomplish something meaningful before we build him a statue.

Jim McElwain : Nick Saban = Nick Saban : Urban Meyer?

No.......

Little Urby ran and found the comfort in the softest of underbellies of the Big 5 Conferences. Saban is not afraid of competition (from other programs, from inside is another question entirely).

I say tide Fans/Alum : Nick Satan = Gator Fans/Alum : Steve
"It really, if you want to know the truth about it, pisses me off when I talk to people that have this expectation like they’re disappointed that we only won the game 14-13 and the way we played. That’s frustrating.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/nick-saban-fans-expectations/

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.