Just so ya'll know

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
That little area around Bannerman has grown and has some nice offerings.
I remember the only thing out there was Moby Dick Seafood. Parents would take us there after church on Sundays.

I think there’s still one open up in Colquitt, GA off US-27.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I remember the only thing out there was Moby Dick Seafood. Parents would take us there after church on Sundays.

Correct. The one in Colquitt does a buffet that is really good (country cooking), that is, if you aren’t too fearful of Covid, Monkey Pox, etc. I’ve shared with CD that I remember going to Moby Dick’s on Thomasville Rd was a big deal way back when for an old redneck from Gadsden county! All the men wore sports coats! There was also one in Bainbridge that did a good business, but it has been closed for several years now.

An old high school buddy that lives in Killearn Lakes took me to McGowan’s off of Bannerman. A little pricey, but good pub fare and a great beer selection.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Lucky you. Even though you’re a native, I’ll share that we went to the Tallahassee Fish House and Oyster Bar and had a good experience…

View attachment 44593

6800 Thomasville Rd #108. Had a piece of Snapper and Fried Oysters that was really good. Went on Friday and there was live music outside. That little area around Bannerman has grown and has some nice offerings.
The thumbs up is for the seafood, not Tallahassee. Just to be clear.

Gatorhunter

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We lived in Killearn Lakes up until about 6 years ago. We go over and visit friends occasionally and It’s crazy how much that area has grown.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Lucky you. Even though you’re a native, I’ll share that we went to the Tallahassee Fish House and Oyster Bar and had a good experience…

View attachment 44593

6800 Thomasville Rd #108. Had a piece of Snapper and Fried Oysters that was really good. Went on Friday and there was live music outside. That little area around Bannerman has grown and has some nice offerings.
Yes! It’s very good. We tried to guess the kinds of fish on the wall. Dad lives near here. If you are over this way this week let’s have lunch and invite your wife too.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Moby Dick‘s was our go to restaurant after church on Sundays with my mom. The buffet was amazing. I like going during the week though so that we could get fried shrimp. My dad has a farm in BradfordVille that he bought about 50 years ago. We used to ride our horses up to the Sing store which is now a Circle K I think. Moby Dick‘s closed a long time ago and that area is really booming now.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes! It’s very good. We tried to guess the kinds of fish on the wall. Dad lives near here. If you are over this way this week let’s have lunch and invite your wife too.
I appreciate it. I know we are putting peas up tomorrow (4 hampers), but I’ll see what the missus has planned for Friday. We went with family/friends to the Oyster House. In addition to the entrees, we also had some of their version of Bang Bang Shrimp and some raw oysters that were very good. Not from Apalachicola :sadnanner:but from Cedar Key and they were pretty darn good. If the waitresses had been old and snaggle-toothed, I would have sworn I was eating at Julia Mae’s.

Last edited:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Roller Coasters require physics...
Gravity increases the kinetic energy of ride. Going up increases the potential energy. Rides would go on forever except for frictional (including airdrag) losses. See what an engineering degree from an elite university allows you to say.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Gravity increases the kinetic energy of ride. Going up increases the potential energy. Rides would go on forever except for frictional (including airdrag) losses. See what an engineering degree from an elite university allows you to say.
True story.
When I received my diploma from UF they said I was allowed to say it.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Moby Dick‘s was our go to restaurant after church on Sundays with my mom. The buffet was amazing. I like going during the week though so that we could get fried shrimp. My dad has a farm in BradfordVille that he bought about 50 years ago. We used to ride our horses up to the Sing store which is now a Circle K I think. Moby Dick‘s closed a long time ago and that area is really booming now.

The Sing store -
I always hit the one across from Jim and Milts since one of my best friends worked there.
But - if I wanted those “Wacky Packages”, you had to hit the Jr Food Store on Jackson Bluff - :grin:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We lived in Killearn Lakes up until about 6 years ago. We go over and visit friends occasionally and It’s crazy how much that area has grown.

There’s a new Publix going in halfway down Bannerman and connects to Bull Headley. They cleared out the old house, tennis courts and so many venerable oak trees. FL can always use another Publix. (Sarcasm)

We don’t have Publix up in KY but will very soon. Rumor is that they just bought a 100 acre farm just down the road from us to develop. I love Publix so I’m not too sad about it but it’s a working cattle farm with a beautiful old house. Mixed emotions.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I appreciate it. I know we are putting peas up tomorrow (4 hampers), but I’ll see what the missus has planned for Friday. We went with family/friends to the Oyster House. In addition to the entrees, we also had some of their version of Bang Bang Shrimp and some raw oysters that were very good. Not from Apalachicola :sadnanner:but from Cedar Key and they were pretty darn good. If the waitresses had been old and snaggle-toothed, I would have sworn I was eating at Julia Mae’s.

You better get started at the crack of dawn. It’s way too hot to work outside after the sun comes up. It was 102 when I got here. What kind of peas do you have ready? I left @Seedy in charge of the garden while I’m away.

First thing dad said when I arrived was “I made dinner reservations for the next three nights!” and proceeded to show me the menus. :lol: I love it. He’s like a kid in a candy store with eating dinner now. He’s retired and life revolves around dinner. He said they went to the new crab place last week at 3pm to avoid the crowd. :facepalm:

Let me know if you and Mrs Cover can take a break and grab some lunch. I can travel. Is Whipporwill Marina still serving food?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There’s a new Publix going in halfway down Bannerman and connects to Bull Headley. They cleared out the old house, tennis courts and so many venerable oak trees. FL can always use another Publix.

We don’t have Publix up in KY but will very soon. Rumor is that they just bought a 100 acre farm just down the road from us to develop. I love Publix so I’m not too sad about it but it’s a working cattle farm with a beautiful old house. Mixed emotions.
I know what you mean about the disruption progress causes. Y’all can survive the Publix, but when CVS and Walgreens post up…game over. The wife and I were going into Tallahassee the other day on 27. I recalled that as a boy (and we only went to Tallahassee a couple of times a year) that it was all woods until you got to where the Northwoods Mall used to be (it has been leveled!). There used to be the Foremost Dairy at that site. Now it’s all sprawl nearly to the Ochlockonee. Progress? Depends on your perspective.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You better get started at the crack of dawn. It’s way too hot to work outside after the sun comes up. It was 102 when I got here. What kind of peas do you have ready? I left @Seedy in charge of the garden while I’m away.

First thing dad said when I arrived was “I made dinner reservations for the next three nights!” and proceeded to show me the menus. :lol: I love it. He’s like a kid in a candy store with eating dinner now. He’s retired and life revolves around dinner. He said they went to the new crab place last week at 3pm to avoid the crowd. :facepalm:

Let me know if you and Mrs Cover can take a break and grab some lunch. I can travel. Is Whipporwill Marina still serving food?
Thankfully we aren’t picking or shelling. We’ve bought peas for the last several years from an outfit in Cavalry, Bob Maxwell’s Open Air Mkt. His produce is good and fresh. In the past we’ve bought Sedandy white peas, which we really like, but there are none to be had this year (guessing something labor/Covid related). Instead we are getting Top Pick white peas (3) and Pink Eyes (1), a black eye. Also decided to do a hamper of white butter beans. It’ll take us the better part of today to get them put up.

I can appreciate your dad’s planning for dinner. I’m sure it’s the highlight of many days. I had to chuckle about eating early to beat the crowd. My grandmama was like that. Dinner time and supper time, if we were going somewhere, was 11 am and 5 pm respectively. On most Sundays I would go to Sunday School and Church, but if we were eating out, I had to be home by 11:00 so we could get to the Golden Corral in Bainbridge before the “church crowd” got there and backed things up!

The missus is going to Jacksonville on Friday to take one of her cousins for a drs appt., so I’m in charge of the cows and dogs. I always pictured myself as John Wayne on a big horse; instead, I’m just a cowpoke on an old Kawasaki Mule. Sorry it won’t work out this time, but let me know the next time you’re down this way and I’ll at least find a way to share some preserves. We usually do strawberry, peach, and mayhaw each year. Enjoy your visit and take some of this “warm” weather back with you!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Thankfully we aren’t picking or shelling. We’ve bought peas for the last several years from an outfit in Cavalry, Bob Maxwell’s Open Air Mkt. His produce is good and fresh. In the past we’ve bought Sedandy white peas, which we really like, but there are none to be had this year (guessing something labor/Covid related). Instead we are getting Top Pick white peas (3) and Pink Eyes (1), a black eye. Also decided to do a hamper of white butter beans. It’ll take us the better part of today to get them put up.

I can appreciate your dad’s planning for dinner. I’m sure it’s the highlight of many days. I had to chuckle about eating early to beat the crowd. My grandmama was like that. Dinner time and supper time, if we were going somewhere, was 11 am and 5 pm respectively. On most Sundays I would go to Sunday School and Church, but if we were eating out, I had to be home by 11:00 so we could get to the Golden Corral in Bainbridge before the “church crowd” got there and backed things up!

The missus is going to Jacksonville on Friday to take one of her cousins for a drs appt., so I’m in charge of the cows and dogs. I always pictured myself as John Wayne on a big horse; instead, I’m just a cowpoke on an old Kawasaki Mule. Sorry it won’t work out this time, but let me know the next time you’re down this way and I’ll at least find a way to share some preserves. We usually do strawberry, peach, and mayhaw each year. Enjoy your visit and take some of this “warm” weather back with you!
The story of your grandparents sounds about right! There’s a lot of planning that goes on around the church crowds.

It sounds like you’ve got a lot of work ahead of you. Do you dry, freeze or can the peas?

Very kind of the missus to make the trek over to Jacksonville for her cousin. It must be a special friendship for her to go there. It would take a lot to get me to go to Jville. Please tell me you at least wear a cowboy hat while you ride your “mule!”

My daughter’s 4th grade teacher retired and moved to Alligator Point. She’s in charge of the nesting sea turtles. I’m going to try to go on a morning walk with her to check the nests one day this week. That might be the most exciting thing I do while I’m here.

I would have gone for a walk around the pond this morning but it turns out I brought two left shoes with me. :lol:

7C6662EE-A55A-42EA-B66A-3FBD2A6FB2BB.jpeg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Drive down to Apalachicola. It's a small seaside town quaint, historic with great restaurants and bars. You can also go across the bridge to St George Island!
Favorite beach! Took the kids there a few years ago right before the big hurricane came through and drowned it. They didn’t appreciate the island but it brought back a bunch of memories from my youth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator