Justin Fields decides to remain a leghumper

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I hear you. And I’m not predicting DM is going to get us back to that per se. I just think at times we make too much of particular systems.

I was watching the 2006 ut game on some channel where it was the vol broadcasters. After Tebow did his first few direct snap runs, one of the guys says “that’s just running the QB...not sure that’s gonna work for long”. Over the next 4 years, teams knew exactly what was coming and generally couldn’t stop it. No different than Uk in ‘93 or ut in ‘96 knowing we were gonna throw those pass plays. We just ran it to perfection because the head man demanded so.
We also had vastly superior talent on those squads.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. That crap didn't work at all without a vastly superior running quarterback, despite all the babble about how we"d modify our offense to fit the talent, or that leak and Brantley can run well enough to be Alex Smith-like. The same babble I'm hearing now about.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Tim Tebow is without question the greatest short-yardage running QB in history. Hell, he’s one of the best short-yardage runners in history. It was a huge advantage knowing we could convert 99% of short yardage situations.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. That crap didn't work at all without a vastly superior running quarterback, despite all the babble about how we"d modify our offense to fit the talent, or that leak and Brantley can run well enough to be Alex Smith-like. The same babble I'm hearing now about.
Not to mention the OL. Maybe our second best OL squad of all time behind the Great Wall of Florida.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tim Tebow is without question the greatest short-yardage running QB in history. Hell, he’s one of the best short-yardage runners in history. It was a huge advantage knowing we could convert 99% of short yardage situations.
Yeah, and short yardage meant 3rd and 5.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From Thursday. Georgia is putting on the full-court press. I'll be surprised if we get this kid, although he's a kid, and we all know how kids can change their mind.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Who is that 400 pounder in red? I don’t understand how these coaches can be morbidly obese and be taken seriously.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Guess it's Jim Chaney Weis.

It is.

1470537647_Chaney_t1070_h7d4d68beb6338d8ec76725ff47d341abb530e73f.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I’d agree, but we beat teams with comparable talent simply because we ran our plays better. It can be done. That was y point.

But Tebow ran it beautifully, and Cam was equally capable, and Driskel—despite his flaws—could’ve as well. That’s close to a decade straight.

I think this is one of the biggest issues that I hear that has nothing to do with Mullen. He wasn’t the guy that ran that offense. Addazio’s 2009-10 performance has nothing to do with DM.

Of course it takes the right QB. But if we’d gone from Tebow to Cam over a 6 year period, then a lull of lesser players, how is that system any more unique than Matthews to Dean/Wuerffel and the lull we saw afterward?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’d agree, but we beat teams with comparable talent simply because we ran our plays better. It can be done. That was y point.

But Tebow ran it beautifully, and Cam was equally capable, and Driskel—despite his flaws—could’ve as well. That’s close to a decade straight.

I think this is one of the biggest issues that I hear that has nothing to do with Mullen. He wasn’t the guy that ran that offense. Addazio’s 2009-10 performance has nothing to do with DM.

Of course it takes the right QB. But if we’d gone from Tebow to Cam over a 6 year period, then a lull of lesser players, how is that system any more unique than Matthews to Dean/Wuerffel and the lull we saw afterward?
You still need a Percy type

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You still need a Percy type

Not entirely disagreeing. But I think people forget how many games he missed. We made it the Fayson show against Usce in 2007, utilized other cast members against Ala in the ‘08 SECCG, etc.

To be clear, there’s no denying the drop off when PH left. But the other variable that can’t be ignored is that we went from MUllen to Daz.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not entirely disagreeing. But I think people forget how many games he missed. We made it the Fayson show against Usce in 2007, utilized other cast members against Ala in the ‘08 SECCG, etc.

To be clear, there’s no denying the drop off when PH left. But the other variable that can’t be ignored is that we went from MUllen to Daz.
Just saying we need that second dynamic piece. Doesn’t have to be a hybrid, but a second player that people fear. Ideally the roster will be loaded with them, but you know what I mean.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Except Ole Miss on 4th and 1 :eek4:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator