soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm late the this party - but when did Swamp Donkey return? lol

I'm from Jacksonville - I have a slight "north Florida" southern accent. When I lived in DC people would ask me "where are you from?" When I told them I was from Florida they'd respond, "FLORIDA?" And I'd tell them that Florida is the only state in the south that the farther north you are the further south you are. Lynyrd Skynyrd, the most iconic 'southern rock' band of all time is from Jacksonville. Florida IS a 'southern' state - up north.

I spent the entire fall of last year in the big bend area - that area is as redneck and southern as any state I've ever been to in the south. My dad's side of the family is from east Tennessee, Anderson County area, so I know what 'hay seeds' and hillbilly's look and act like. Go to Perry, Florida and you'll wake up in a time warp and think you're in 1960's Mississippi civil rights era.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
FL is has Southern parts; but there's no denying it's lost it's Southern character (and especially as compared to the rest of the Deep South).

The Panhandle west of Tally is mostly rednecks and hillbillies, indistinguishable from Southern AL or Ga hillbillies.

South FL from Homestead to Fort Pierce is a vapid wasteland of Yankees, humidity, and Cuban/South American expats.

South of Tampa to Fort Myers is retirees mixed with country folk (not really true Southern though). Same with the stretch from Vero Beach to St Augustine (country, but not really Southern).

But the further inland you go into FL--and the more north you go--there's remnants of the Old South. Mount Dora and Eustis still have a sleepy Southern vibe to them; and cities like Live Oak, Perry, Palatka, Micanopy, Madison, etc.--all would be at home in other parts of the South.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Texas is not southern at all.

Tell me you've never been to East Texas without telling me you've never been to East Texas.

That entire part of the state was settled from Southern migrants who left South Carolina, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee in the pre-Civil War Antebellum era; and most all those towns look exactly the same to this day.

Heck, some of the old-school Waco families insist their Southern too (not without foundation, but the rest of the area is more traditionally "Texan."

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Tell me you've never been to East Texas without telling me you've never been to East Texas.

That entire part of the state was settled from Southern migrants who left South Carolina, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee in the pre-Civil War Antebellum era; and most all those towns look exactly the same to this day.

Heck, some of the old-school Waco families insist their Southern too (not without foundation, but the rest of the area is more traditionally "Texan."
I've been to east Texas. It sucks balls.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
No doubt yankees, carpetbaggers and developers have ruined much of Florida. But I was born in 1955 Polk County raised in the rural parts of Alachua County. The first thirty years of my life it was a southern state. I grew up eating grits, ,greens cornbread,catfish and turtle and drank sweet tea. We shopped the IGA. We lived on a dirt road but in a new concrete block house. 9500 dollars in 1962, We rode horses and camped out and fished a multitude of ponds, lakes, rivers and even the gulf near Cedar Key. It was very southern, like me. I worked in hay, watermelons and tobacco. You can still find southern here in Mayo or Branford or Cross City or even Archer. But its dying out. I miss it. My little town of Brooker is still southern with the old folks. But Florida is for sale and the yankees that cant afford it are bunching up in RV parks all around me. Its unreal. Thousands of them. Im 4th generation Floridian ....I still love parts of it and my memories.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No doubt yankees, carpetbaggers and developers have ruined much of Florida. But I was born in 1955 Polk County raised in the rural parts of Alachua County. The first thirty years of my life it was a southern state. I grew up eating grits, ,greens cornbread,catfish and turtle and drank sweet tea. We shopped the IGA. We lived on a dirt road but in a new concrete block house. 9500 dollars in 1962, We rode horses and camped out and fished a multitude of ponds, lakes, rivers and even the gulf near Cedar Key. It was very southern, like me. I worked in hay, watermelons and tobacco. You can still find southern here in Mayo or Branford or Cross City or even Archer. But its dying out. I miss it. My little town of Brooker is still southern with the old folks. But Florida is for sale and the yankees that cant afford it are bunching up in RV parks all around me. Its unreal. Thousands of them. Im 4th generation Floridian ....I still love parts of it and my memories.

I don’t disagree with the argument that the influx of northerners has changed certain parts of Florida. My dad was from Miami and has a slight southern accent, which obviously wouldn’t be the case today. But where I differ a little with several of you is that it has ruined things. I don’t personally see it that way. I think Florida has become a good combination of mini cultures. The tri-county area of PB/Br/Dade along with the Tampa area and Destin have a Spanish and/or NE culture and are obviously more high end. Some don’t like that which is fine. So north or to most of the Gulf, or go inland. There are plenty of areas that still have more laid back southern feel, without the glitz or NE influence. I think that’s what makes Florida great. Yet it still has a sense of normalcy(in large part because of policies you dislike ironically, but that’s another topic for another day) unlike many of the other multi cultural states like NY and Cali. And you can’t have a school like UF or hospital like Shands if you limit your scope to hiring doctors strictly from Union or Putnam counties. Nor would you have some of the great restaurants or museums without people from elsewhere. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have sleepy fishing towns, massive hiking/biking preserves or areas to hunt and fish if that’s your thing. Again, it’s a great combination of cultures. Anyway you sound like a total right winger, just so you know. Like seriously red, tattoo of MTG, woulda been at J6 but couldn’t get the time off work, right winger.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I don’t disagree with the argument that the influx of northerners has changed certain parts of Florida. My dad was from Miami and has a slight southern accent, which obviously wouldn’t be the case today. But where I differ a little with several of you is that it has ruined things. I don’t personally see it that way. I think Florida has become a good combination of mini cultures. The tri-county area of PB/Br/Dade along with the Tampa area and Destin have a Spanish and/or NE culture and are obviously more high end. Some don’t like that which is fine. So north or to most of the Gulf, or go inland. There are plenty of areas that still have more laid back southern feel, without the glitz or NE influence. I think that’s what makes Florida great. Yet it still has a sense of normalcy(in large part because of policies you dislike ironically, but that’s another topic for another day) unlike many of the other multi cultural states like NY and Cali. And you can’t have a school like UF or hospital like Shands if you limit your scope to hiring doctors strictly from Union or Putnam counties. Nor would you have some of the great restaurants or museums without people from elsewhere. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have sleepy fishing towns, massive hiking/biking preserves or areas to hunt and fish if that’s your thing. Again, it’s a great combination of cultures. Anyway you sound like a total right winger, just so you know. Like seriously red, tattoo of MTG, woulda been at J6 but couldn’t get the time off work, right winger.
Just so you know, Yankees are no damn good. There are no good damn Yankees. Multiculture is no culture at all.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Just so you know, Yankees are no damn good. There are no good damn Yankees. Multiculture is no culture at all.
Yankee - Someone from the North who comes down to the South

Damn Yankee - Someone from the North who comes down to the South and stays.

Good Damn Yankee - Someone from North who comes down to the South; stays; and leaves.

Real Good Damn Yankee - Someone from the North who comes down to the South; stays; leaves; and takes another Yankee back with him.

Thus there actually both Good Damn Yankees and Real Good Damn Yankees.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Damn Yankee - Someone from the North who comes down to the South and stays.

Good Damn Yankee - Someone from North who comes down to the South; stays; and leaves.

Real Good Damn Yankee - Someone from the North who comes down to the South; stays; leaves; and takes another Yankee back with him.

Thus there actually both Good Damn Yankees and Real Good Damn Yankees.

What if they stay, become an arms dealer and like Nickelback? I just want to make sure I’m ordering the right name tag for him.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
What if they stay, become an arms dealer and like Nickelback? I just want to make sure I’m ordering the right name tag for him.
Technically, he's really a Canuck. They are their own kind of weird. I endorse the theory that the extreme cold does something to their brains in their formative years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Technically, he's really a Canuck. They are their own kind of weird. I endorse the theory that the extreme cold does something to their brains in their formative years.

Ok. And granted it’s been a while since I read the book, but then wouldn’t that just make him a Damn Yankee with Canadian Mist and cargo shorts?

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Ok. And granted it’s been a while since I read the book, but then wouldn’t that just make him a Damn Yankee with Canadian Mist and cargo shorts?
And Mandals. DONT FORGET THE MANDALS!

We may have to acknowledge there is another type of Yankee.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Damn Yankee - Someone from the North who comes down to the South and stays.I
Ive heard the first two but #3 was a gdamm Yankee was one who came down with one pair of underwear and a twenty dollar bill and never changed either one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.