Kevin Sumlin Fired

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Depending on everything that's happening with Baylor's football program, I wonder if Sumlin would have any interest. I would think Sumlin would rather stay in Texas.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sumlin’s doom started when he lost 2 5-star QBs plus another. Not sure why/how that all blew up but it stymied their program.

http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sport...cle_520e5a4e-6be8-11e7-9943-bf19ace3d062.html

Yep....a great QB can make or break a program....and a string of bad QBs (remind you of a certain school?) can KILL a program!

Obviously, coaching goes a long way as well....but losing star QBs kills momentum. FSU's season would have been completely different had they not lost the French kid (they gave Alabama a hell of a game for 3 quarters, until the QB went down).

That's another reason why I think we aren't too far off from being a good team again (if we can find a star QB to go along w/ a home-run coaching hire). There's still other issues (building depth and increasing the talent level, along w/ facilities) - but that can be fixed within a couple of years.

Sumlin is a good coach. He's definitely up there w/ any of the Plan B's we've heard mentioned.

If Jimbo is A&M's top target they sure are taking a gamble when you consider the buyout for Fisher and Sumlin, plus the salary Fisher will demand (more than FSU is paying). But, they're the richest program in the SEC so if that's what they want to do....

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sooo... Sumlin's record is 51-25, has had 3 ten win seasons at two different schools, and he has been known for a dynamic offense. He is obviously 10 times the coach as Slick Willy Taggart- Harbaugh, Mr 105th ranked passing offense. Is he immediately our first choice?

Can we stop hearing about that fvkking loser Taggart now?
I'd put Sumlin real close to the top of my list. In fact I'd probably put him at # 2 behind Kelly since it appears Frost is on the back burner or has backed away from us. In fact I don't think it would hurt to give him a call anyway unless the ink is actually dry on Kelly's contract(I think it is). The last thing we need is for Sumlin to end up at Tenn. because he is a guy who could light that program up in a hurry.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Zero chance we would consider Sumlin for head coach. It does suck he is being fired however as this is the one team that isnt limited at what they can offer Kelly.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Zero chance we would consider Sumlin for head coach
Assuming Chip isn't a lock, why the hell not? I'd take him ahead of guys like Norvell or Taggart for sure. He's got SEC experience and recruiting ties. He plays exciting offensive football which our fanbase is starving for and in Florida he would have much better defensive recruits to work with than in Texas(they don't play defense anymore in that state). As long as he brought in a decent DC I'd be down with it...again assuming the Kelly thing fell through.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Assuming Chip isn't a lock, why the hell not? I'd take him ahead of guys like Norvell or Taggart for sure. He's got SEC experience and recruiting ties. He plays exciting offensive football which our fanbase is starving for and in Florida he would have much better defensive recruits to work with than in Texas(they don't play defense anymore in that state). As long as he brought in a decent DC I'd be down with it...again assuming the Kelly thing fell through.

I think he is a decent coach but they would never hire a guy just fired after our last 2 coaching hires.

amber1

Sep 1, 2017
Another place that CK can check out as a future coach. Sumlin would be a great hire.for anyone

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd put Sumlin real close to the top of my list. In fact I'd probably put him at # 2 behind Kelly since it appears Frost is on the back burner or has backed away from us. In fact I don't think it would hurt to give him a call anyway unless the ink is actually dry on Kelly's contract(I think it is). The last thing we need is for Sumlin to end up at Tenn. because he is a guy who could light that program up in a hurry.

I would have no problem with him as a second or third option (behind Frost - not sure why he is considered to have "backed away"). He runs a dynamic, up-tempo offense. Let's see how this all plays out. If Kelly agrees, it's all a moot point, anyway.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Guys, I was kidding about Sumlin. It was a jab at the Taggart Justice Warriors.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Guys, I was kidding about Sumlin. It was a jab at the Taggart Justice Warriors.

You should know by now that the cult followers of yours can't tell when you're joking or not. You need to make that clear from the outset.:grin:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
If we took Kevin Sumlin it would be the first time in Gator history that I know of that we ever took a coach who was fired from another program.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You should know by now that the cult followers of yours can't tell when you're joking or not. You need to make that clear from the outset.:grin:
Please explain to me who are the cult followers?

I'm a lone wolf. No wolfpack, right, t?

Find someone on here who doesn't hate me at least 49% of the time. :grin:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016

I hate you less than 49 percent of the time.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015

I’m wondering what your handle will become once the new coach is hired. We can help you.

1. Kelly => Swamp Leprechaun

2. Frost => Swamp Icee

3. Mullen => Les Cowbell

4. Taggert => Axel Foley

5. Kiffin => Apocalypse

I don’t take posts seriously enough to dislike you. That’s not because don’t value your posts, I do, but it’s just a message board. Even when you’ve gone off on me I take it in good humor.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We’re going to look back 20 years from now and realize how many coaching lives we’re cut short, in late part due to Nick Saban.

A&M has been an 8 win(at best) program my entire life. Now suddenly they have to do better. It’s pretty remarkable.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t take posts seriously enough to dislike you. That’s not because don’t value your posts, I do, but it’s just a message board. Even when you’ve gone off on me I take it in good humor.
I don't remember going off on you.

But if I did, it's just the internet, right?

Weird some people get bent out of shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator