Kevin Sumlin Fired

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A&M has been an 8 win(at best) program my entire life. Now suddenly they have to do better. It’s pretty remarkable.
A&M is truly the sleeping giant now. They are no longer under big brothers thumb, they have enough money they probably don't even bother to count it, and have at least as many bluechip recruits as we do.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
A&M is truly the sleeping giant now. They are no longer under big brothers thumb, they have enough money they probably don't even bother to count it, and have at least as many bluechip recruits as we do.

Exactly, UF and aTm are the big dogs of the SEC. Like UF, aTm has all the requirements to be a top program long term. UF and aTm are the two programs best suited for long term success.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don't remember going off on you.

But if I did, it's just the internet, right?

Weird some people get bent out of shape.

I confessed I had thought Muschamp was on the cusp of restoring the program after the 2012 F$U game.

Which provoked you to poetic heights.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
When A&M made the decision to go to the SEC that really changed the dynamic between A&M and Texas. Texas A&M has the resources to win a National Championship if they can get the right coach. A&M knows this and that's why they aren't sticking with no 8 - 5 coach.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
When A&M made the decision to go to the SEC that really changed the dynamic between A&M and Texas. Texas A&M has the resources to win a National Championship if they can get the right coach. A&M knows this and that's why they aren't sticking with no 8 - 5 coach.

And why Texas doesn’t want anything to do with them anymore. Can’t look bad if you refuse to play them

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep....a great QB can make or break a program....and a string of bad QBs (remind you of a certain school?) can KILL a program!

Obviously, coaching goes a long way as well....but losing star QBs kills momentum. FSU's season would have been completely different had they not lost the French kid (they gave Alabama a hell of a game for 3 quarters, until the QB went down).

That's another reason why I think we aren't too far off from being a good team again (if we can find a star QB to go along w/ a home-run coaching hire). There's still other issues (building depth and increasing the talent level, along w/ facilities) - but that can be fixed within a couple of years.

Sumlin is a good coach. He's definitely up there w/ any of the Plan B's we've heard mentioned.

If Jimbo is A&M's top target they sure are taking a gamble when you consider the buyout for Fisher and Sumlin, plus the salary Fisher will demand (more than FSU is paying). But, they're the richest program in the SEC so if that's what they want to do....

I agree. He can recruit the SEC. Can UF live with a coach who won 66% of their games in the SEC?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Just a reminder HC record 86-42, always a top 20 offense, just needs a DC.

And unlike Taggart Justice Warriors, you dont have to exclude his first years in order to get him to a .500 record.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I agree. He can recruit the SEC. Can UF live with a coach who won 66% of their games in the SEC?
True but what would his conference winning % be if he had coached in the East?....Sumlin could coach circles around the Mason's and Muschamps in the East and with the defensive talent in this state I could see him putting us at least close to a top 10 team year in and year out. I don't know if he would win us a string of banners but hell I'd just like to be in the discussion(playoffs) come November at this point....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is right. Six or seven of the worst coaches in the SEC have been in the east the last few years.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@darrenrovell: $10.4 million: What Texas A&M owes Kevin Sumlin if the school fires him after tonight

(Down 20-7 at half to LSU)

They must pay him in 60 days & it's his to keep regardless of the next job he takes.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
@darrenrovell: $10.4 million: What Texas A&M owes Kevin Sumlin if the school fires him after tonight

(Down 20-7 at half to LSU)

They must pay him in 60 days & it's his to keep regardless of the next job he takes.

They have to pay the entire buyout in 60 days? That's unusual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.