Kids these days will never know….

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The distinctive clank of a zippo lighter opening, the scratch scratch of the flint wheel and a few seconds later the tinny lid snapping shut. This was a regular sound in my childhood that I can still hear in my mind 60 years later.
View attachment 66587

That distinct sound was basically my alarm clock. It was literally the first thing my dad did when he woke up. Before even sitting up.

Like Deet, I had to refill them.

When my dad passed, I found several of his zippo lighters. They are standing on top of his military display.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
That distinct sound was basically my alarm clock. It was literally the first thing my dad did when he woke up. Before even sitting up.

Like Deet, I had to refill them.

When my dad passed, I found several of his zippo lighters. They are standing on top of his military display.
I just found the one I used in the Navy. Ship's seal on it.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I think corch, b52 and 1946 were around and owned their own homes when this originally aired.

1. I was around. 2. Probably watched that PSA. 3. Too young to qualify for a loan for the house. 4. However comma my mom and dad did own the house we lived in in 1954. Without a mortgage. What's your point?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
1. I was around. 2. Probably watched that PSA. 3. Too young to qualify for a loan for the house. 4. However comma my mom and dad did own the house we lived in in 1954. Without a mortgage. What's your point?
His point comma I think comma is that you’re old period

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I’m picturing “weird face every white guy makes when trying to dance”

white-guy-dance.gif

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

It's sadder than that...

This pic is of what was Adray's Appliance in Dearborn. Mike Adray was a God in Dearborn. He sponsored a city wide summer youth baseball program and provided the hats, t-shirts, teenage coach/manager for every team (and there were probably close to 50 teams city wide), and umpires for the games, no adults other than the umpires involved... you rode your bike to practice/games, not mom's minivan... ALL on his dime. And the store was awesome to walk around... bought my Panasonic "Boom Box" there. He also sponsored some of the best youth hockey, and by sponsored, I don't mean donated $500 to stick his name on a sign, he paid for almost everything and hockey ain't cheap! NONE of the above happens anywhere anymore...
adray.jpg

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
how much fun Spring Break could be. This was Mike & Dean, 1983. Mike Love of The Beach Boys and Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean. I was there.

mikeDean1983.jpg

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
which beach is that?

Daytona. And '83 was very tame compared to '87-'91.

Ft. Lauderdale was the main destination for a while, then the locals got pissed and the cops went nuts. That coincided with MTV going to Daytona and then Daytona was the main destination for a few years until the locals got pissed and the cops went nuts. Then everybody started going to Panama City.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.